Poll; Which Translation Does Your Congregation Use ?

Which Translation Does Your Congregation Use ?

  • KJV

    Votes: 10 16.1%
  • ESV

    Votes: 31 50.0%
  • NIV 1984

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • NIV 2011

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • RSV

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRSV

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • HCSB

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NKJV

    Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NASB

    Votes: 6 9.7%

  • Total voters
    62
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The authorized King James Version of 1611

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Interesting. I used to follow along 1769 readings with the 1611, but I found most of the differences between them seemed to be fixing mistakes in the 1611 (Psalm 69:32 is one that comes to mind, as well as a verse in Deuteronomy that repeated). What print edition of the 1611 do you use in your congregation? I have a Thomas Nelson that's basically a re-print of the original, except that (most) of the Gothic type is replaced with modern type, but the old spelling (including ligatures) is retained.
 
We have the NKJV (and a couple old NASB's) in the pews and that is what I preach from.

I find the NKJV the easiest to read aloud of the contemporary translations.
 
Jimmy, just my two cents worth. There seem to me three viable options: the NKJV, the CSB, and the ESV. I agree with your pastor that the NIV 2011 is not worthy of consideration. The entire session should carefully study the various translations together, and come up with their decision. Some pluses of the ESV are the variety of bindings, and the excellence of Study Bibles (the Reformation Study Bible and the ESV Study Bible are both spectacular). The downside is the incredibly annoying "ands" that are ubiquitously mistranslating Hebrew "vav" and Greek "de" and "kai" all over the place.

The NKJV is much better than the ESV on this point, and the NKJV could well recommend itself as a superior translation to the ESV, unless one wishes to follow the Critical Text, in which case the ESV is superior. Ironically, I follow the Critical Text and still prefer the NKJV to the ESV! The other downside to the NKJV, though, is that there aren't good study Bibles available.

The CSB has a decent study Bible available now, and is, in my opinion, the best translation of the lot. I have, in addition, seen people recommend that conservatives (who liked the NIV, and were used to it) switch to the CSB as being less of a "shock to the system" than the ESV would be. However, it seems to me that a majority have been switching from NIV to the ESV. I would heavily caution your session, however, not to switch to the ESV just because everyone else is doing it! The highest priority should be deciding what they think the best translation is.
The Nas is still seen as being a very good version by those who prefer the CT and a more formal translation...
 
Our OPC church uses the NASB, unfortunately. I like to remind our pastor that the ESV is out there and ready to be installed in our pew racks. (Plus, a church can get ESV pew Bibles very inexpensively.)
I actually prefer that version, as it does seem to be the closest to rendering what the original texts stated, but it is also strange to read at times, as they sought to reserve the greek construction such as in Greek verbs into English...
 
I think it has the best translation philosophy of any translation in its advocacy of optimal equivalence. I also think it reads the smoothest of any translation that gives importance to the word-level. It is also far better English than the ESV.
The formal versions such as the Nas/NKJV though do tend to overall keep closest to what the original languages texts stated, but the Csb and Esv would be smoother to read and are both still quite accurate...
 
On the NASB, people often say it's "wooden". I think its woodenness is overstated. Look at the ESV at Jonah 4:4! Talk about wooden. I love them both. However, it seems we parrot objections others make.
 
On the NASB, people often say it's "wooden". I think its woodenness is overstated. Look at the ESV at Jonah 4:4! Talk about wooden. I love them both. However, it seems we parrot objections others make.
The trick in translation the scriptures is that we need to balance being faithful to the original text and being able to be understood by the reader. The Esv and now the Csb seem to do a good job balancing those two extremes, while the Nas/NKJV still preferred for just used for studying only...
 
On the NASB, people often say it's "wooden". I think its woodenness is overstated. Look at the ESV at Jonah 4:4! Talk about wooden. I love them both. However, it seems we parrot objections others make.

To be fair, the ESV is inconsistent in the amount of editing. The New Testament (and especially Pauline letters) were edited more substantially from the RSV than the Old Testament did, especially deep in the prophets. (Note: I haven't found something to confirm this, but from my own reading this seems to be the case)
 
To be fair, the ESV is inconsistent in the amount of editing. The New Testament (and especially Pauline letters) were edited more substantially from the RSV than the Old Testament did, especially deep in the prophets. (Note: I haven't found something to confirm this, but from my own reading this seems to be the case)
I have read that the Esv is about 85-90% of the old Rsv, and much of the changes were in the OT portions of it, reflecting Jesus as being seen in the prophetic elements more closely...
 
I have read that the Esv is about 85-90% of the old Rsv, and much of the changes were in the OT portions of it, reflecting Jesus as being seen in the prophetic elements more closely...

Gotcha. Do you have a source? I'd like to read more. They definitely changed prophetic passages for this reason (Isaiah 7:14 was a big complaint with the RSV that was changed), but there seems to be less general editing for readable and such in the Old versus the New (the latter tends to be less awkward in my opinion).
 
Simple way to really find out how different the RSV is minus a computer analysis...use it at church if your pastor is an ESV guy.

A few years ago I was listening to a series by Ray Stedman. He died in 1992. You'd think he was using the ESV. But it wa the RSV. Very few words were different as I read along with my ESV.

This may prove convenient for me in one way. Roman Catholics often use RSV. My brother-in-law read through the NT last year. His Bible is nearly Word-for-word like mine.
 
Gotcha. Do you have a source? I'd like to read more. They definitely changed prophetic passages for this reason (Isaiah 7:14 was a big complaint with the RSV that was changed), but there seems to be less general editing for readable and such in the Old versus the New (the latter tends to be less awkward in my opinion).
Here is Michael Marlowe's Bible Researcher site again. I cannot vouch for the accuracy, as he knows far more than I ever will, but I've read his site quite a bit. He seems to know his stuff.
http://www.bible-researcher.com/esv.html
http://www.bible-researcher.com/NASB.html
http://www.bible-researcher.com/NKJV.html
 
I dont know much, but from what I have read the KJV is a poor translation (comes to mind is the passage "and the three are one" and thats not canon... not to mention archaic language)... Am I wrong in thinking this?

Not canon? Do you subscribe to the WCF? In 1.2, when the 66 books of the Scripture are listed, does this include 1 John 5:7 or not?
 
Interesting. I used to follow along 1769 readings with the 1611, but I found most of the differences between them seemed to be fixing mistakes in the 1611 (Psalm 69:32 is one that comes to mind, as well as a verse in Deuteronomy that repeated). What print edition of the 1611 do you use in your congregation? I have a Thomas Nelson that's basically a re-print of the original, except that (most) of the Gothic type is replaced with modern type, but the old spelling (including ligatures) is retained.

As I understand it, by 1769 (158 years after it was published), the King James had acquired so many typographical errors, printing errors, and other sorts of boo-boos (that's a technical printing term [LOL]) that a committee was formed of scholars from both Oxford and Cambridge universities, who went through the entire translation with a fine-tooth comb for the purpose of removing all these printing errors. As far as I know, no substantive changes in the text were made.

When you go to a bookstore and buy a KJV, what you're buying is the 1769 cleaned-up text.
 
Not canon? Do you subscribe to the WCF? In 1.2, when the 66 books of the Scripture are listed, does this include 1 John 5:7 or not?

The WCF is speaking to canonical status of books. It's not dealing with lower textual criticism. 1 John is canonical. If John truly wrote 5:7, then yes, that verse would be included. If John did write 5:7, but someone added it centuries later, then it is not God-breathed and the non-God-breathed WCF (as wonderful as it is) cannot transform it into God-breathed Scripture.
 
The WCF is speaking to canonical status of books. It's not dealing with lower textual criticism. 1 John is canonical. If John truly wrote 5:7, then yes, that verse would be included. If John did write 5:7, but someone added it centuries later, then it is not God-breathed and the non-God-breathed WCF (as wonderful as it is) cannot transform it into God-breathed Scripture.
good point, as the WCF will give to us what is seen as being the true canon of the scriptures, but in each inspired book, we will still have to deal with textual criticism for what is to be seen as actually included within the text..
 
As I understand it, by 1769 (158 years after it was published), the King James had acquired so many typographical errors, printing errors, and other sorts of boo-boos (that's a technical printing term [LOL]) that a committee was formed of scholars from both Oxford and Cambridge universities, who went through the entire translation with a fine-tooth comb for the purpose of removing all these printing errors. As far as I know, no substantive changes in the text were made.

When you go to a bookstore and buy a KJV, what you're buying is the 1769 cleaned-up text.
You are correct, that that most of the KJV today bought and used will be based off the 1769 revised text, and also think at one time Zodervan version was based of the 1984 Schrivers text, which is still seen as being the best TR text to use...
 
Here is Michael Marlowe's Bible Researcher site again. I cannot vouch for the accuracy, as he knows far more than I ever will, but I've read his site quite a bit. He seems to know his stuff.
http://www.bible-researcher.com/esv.html
http://www.bible-researcher.com/NASB.html
http://www.bible-researcher.com/NKJV.html
He thinks that the Nas and the NKJV versions are the best versions to use for serious studies now... Which is fine with me, as I agree with his assessment...
 
Yes, and I find it interesting that he says that of two translations from different textual sources, the CT, and the RT.
 
of the 1984 Schrivers text,
These errors are easy to fix before posting rather than have someone come along and correct:
1894 Scrivener's text

Please develop the habit of reviewing a post after it is made (beforehand is better) and then going back and editing it for correctness when it comes to glaring errors like the above.
 
As I understand it, by 1769 (158 years after it was published), the King James had acquired so many typographical errors, printing errors, and other sorts of boo-boos (that's a technical printing term [LOL]) that a committee was formed of scholars from both Oxford and Cambridge universities, who went through the entire translation with a fine-tooth comb for the purpose of removing all these printing errors. As far as I know, no substantive changes in the text were made.

When you go to a bookstore and buy a KJV, what you're buying is the 1769 cleaned-up text.

Yes, that's why I was curious about Malcom saying his congregation using the 1611. I have and have used the 1611 and I don't see why you would use that in a congregation when the 1769 is available.

Yes, and I find it interesting that he says that of two translations from different textual sources, the CT, and the RT.

I personally find with the NKJV you get the best of both worlds, since it notes the differences in the CT and MT against the TR. It's helpful too when following along with different people who might use a different translation so you can get an idea of what is translation versus manuscript difference.
 
These errors are easy to fix before posting rather than have someone come along and correct:
1894 Scrivener's text

Please develop the habit of reviewing a post after it is made (beforehand is better) and then going back and editing it for correctness when it comes to glaring errors like the above.
Thank you for your patience with me, as I am trying very hard to correct myself.
 
Our church uses ESV, though I wish we would switch to NASB or CSB. One thing to be aware with is the ESV now has at least 3 different versions, with changes in each of them, and the most recent version has had quite a bit of controversy specifically to their translation of Genesis 2 (enough for them to back off making it the final version).
 
Our church uses the ESV (switched from NASB a few years ago). Our members, however, seem to use every version available. When someone reads a passage during SS its anyone's guess which version will be read. I'm able to follow along very well so it doesn't bother me. My wife, however, has poor reading comprehension and needs to be in the same translation or she will get lost.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top