Puritans and Premillenialism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo Neves

Puritan Board Freshman
I've searched* some issues in puritan era, and I've founded some Puritans were Premillenialists or Millenarists(the old term), and this in all 3 Confessional and Theological Positions: Particular Baptists, Independents/Congregationals and Presbyterians

Benjamin Keach - LBCF1689
XXXIV. WE believe that the Bodies of all Men, both the Just and Unjust, shall rise again at the last day, even the same numerical Bodies that die; though the Bodies of the Saints shall be raised immortal and incorruptible, and be made like Christ's glorious Bo∣dy: and that the dead in Christ shall rise first.
Short Confession of Faith

And that the World to come shall begin in its greatest Glory at the Resurrection, doth appear by our Saviour's own words; But they*which shall be worthy to obtain that World to come, and the Resurrection from the Dead, neither marry, nor are given in Marriage: Neither can they die any more; for they are equal unto the Angels, and are the Chil∣dren of the Resurrection. It appears, the World to come, or Kingdom of the Messiah in its greatest Glory, and the Resurrecti∣on, commence together, or at one and the same time. And this is further confirmed, because in one Place it is said, that those who follow Christ, and suffer for him, shall be rewarded at the Resur∣rection of the Just, as Luke 14. 14. And in another Place it is said, in the World to come, as Luke 18. 30.
2. The World to come shall be a World without Sin, a Holy World, a Righteous World: this present World is a wicked World, an ungodly World; but all the Inhabitants of that World to come shall be Holy, they shall be all filled with Righteousness: Hence it is Peter saith, We, according to his Promise, look for a new*Heaven and a new Earth, wherein dwelleth Righteousness.
3. The Government of that new World shall be alone in the Hands of the Saints, no wicked Man shall be in any Place of Power there; no corrupt Judges, nor Justices, Righteousness shall then bear Rule: The People also shall be all Righteous, they shall inherit the Land for ever, the Branch of my planting, the Work of my Hands,*that I may be glorified.—The Kingdom and Dominion, and greatness of the Kingdom under the whole Heaven, shall be given to the People of*the Saints of the most High.

A golden mine opened

Hanserd Knollys - LBCF1689
The next particular in our general Position to be explained, is the Resurre∣ction of the Body, at the Second Com∣ing of Jesus Christ: compare 1 Cor. 15.20, 22, 23. with 1 Thes. 4.16. The Lord himself shall descend from Heaven—And the Dead in Christ shall rise first.
The Dead Bodies of the Saints shall then be Raised from the Dead, that shall yet remain in their Graves: They that sleep in Jesus will God raise up; them will Jesus Christ awaken with the Trump of God, 1 Thes. 4.14. The Resurrection of the Dead hath this Order, and is described by the Apostle in this manner, to wit, Christ first, 1 Cor. 15.22, 23, 24. afterwards they that are Christ's at his Coming. But the rest of the Dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished, Rev. 20.5, 6. This is the first Resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first Resurre∣ction. They shall Reign with Christ a thousand years, and that on Earth, Rev. 5.9, 10. These Kings and Priests are the Children of the Resurrection, Luk. 20.35, 36. being the Children of God. Whose vile Bodies shall be changed and fashioned like unto Christ's glori∣ous Body. The Saints raised Bodies will be perfect, no defect, no deformity, but spiritual, and glorious, 1 Cor. 15.42, 43, 44. So is the Resurrection of the Dead; It is sown a natural Body, it is raised a spiritual Body. It is sown inPage 30dishonour, it is raised in glory. After the Saints deceased are raised, and have lived and reigned with Christ a thou∣sand years, shall be the general Resur∣rection, Rev. 20.12, 13. And I saw the Dead small and great stand before God.

The vvorld that now is; and the vvorld that is to come

Jeremiah Burroughs - DFS
Yea, and then Fourthly, The Lord promiseth to Daniel, as a peculiar and special favour unto him, that he should arise, and stand in the Lot at the end of the dayes. Now for Daniel to arise at the day of Judgment, that's a thing that is common to all, good and bad; but here it is promised to him as a special Mercy, that he shall stand up in the latter dayes in his Lot: And there∣fore, according to the Reverend Bright∣man, and others, this place is interpre∣ted of the time of the calling in of the Jews, when they and the Gentiles shall joyn together; and Jerusalem shall then be set up as the Praise of the whole Earth.
Jerusalems glory breaking forth into the world being a Scripture-discovery of the New-Testament Church

Thomas Goodwin - WCF
And, 3, the first promise made, chap. 5, is prophesied of to befulfilled, they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years, andhad the honour of being priests and kings, which from the first wassaid of them: chap. 1 ver. 6, 'And hath made us kings and priestsunto God and his Father.'
Of the Blessed State of Glory Which the Saints Possess After Death

William Twisse - WCF
Preface Mede's Work on Revelation, a very premillennial Work
Many shall runne (or passe) to and fro, and knowledge shall be encreased, Dan. 12. 4. I lighted some times upon a wittie interpretation of this passage in a certain Manuscript; and the interpretation was this. That the opening of the world by Navi∣gation and Commerce, and the increase of knowledge, should meet both in one time, or age. The observation is justified by experience, howsoever Divines may judge as they see cause of the congruitie thereof unto Daniels text. And this increase of knowledge, which these latter times have brought forth, appeares in no∣thing more remarkeably, then in the interpretation of this mysterious booke, the Revelation of Saint Iohn. And as the mother of Solomon saith of the vertuous wo∣man, whom she describeth, Pro 31.29. Many daughters have done vertuously, but thou surmountest them all. In like sort may it be said of Mr Mede in reference to his Ex∣positions of the Revelation. Many Interpreters have done excellently, but he surmounteth them all.
A PREFACE written by Doctor Twisse, shewing the Methode and Excellency of Mr Medes interpretation of this My∣sterious book of the REVELATION of Saint JOHN.

John Bunyan - Non Confessional
The second also the apostle asserteth in that fourth chapter to the Hebrews, "There remaineth therefore a rest," or the keeping of a sabbath, "to the people of God" (v 9 read also vv 4-11). Which sabbath, as I conceive, will be the seventh thousand of years, which are to follow immediately after the world hath stood six thousand first: for as God was six days in the works of creation, and rested the seventh; so in six thousand years he will perfect his works and providences that concern this world. As also he will finish the toil and travel of his saints, with the burthen of the beasts, and the curse of the ground; and bring all into rest for a thousand years. A day with the Lord, is as a thousand years: wherefore this blessed and desirable time is also called "a day," "a great day," "that great and notable day of the Lord" (Acts 2:20), which shall end in the eternal judgment of the world. God hath held forth this by several other shadows, as the sabbath of weeks, the sabbath of years, and the great jubilee, which is to be the year after forty-nine years are expired (Lev 25:1-13). Of all which, more in their place, if God permit.

Ver. 4. "And the days of Adam, after he had begotten Seth, were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters."
Adam therefore, as a type of Christ, reigned in the church almost a thousand years. The world therefore beginning thus, doth shew us how it will end; namely, by the reign of the second Adam, as it began with the reign of the first.
These long-lived men therefore shew us the glory that the church shall have in the latter day, even in the seventh thousand years of the world, that sabbath when Christ shall set up his kingdom on earth, according to that which is written, "They lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years" (Rev 20:1-4). They:—Who? The church of God, according also as it was with Adam. Therefore they are said by John to be holy, as well as blessed: "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God, and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years" (v 6). In all which time the wicked in the world shall forbear to persecute, as did also the brood of wicked Cain in the days of Adam, Seth, &c. Hence therefore we find in the first place the dragon chained for these thousand years.

John Bunyan on Genesis

Marshall, Palmer and Some Independents - Secondary References by Robert Baillie

I marvell I can find nothing in its index againft the Millenaries : I cannot think the author a Millenarie. I cannot dream why he fhould have omitted ane errour fo famous in antiquitie, and fo troublefome among us ; for the mod of the chiefe divines here, not only Independents, hot others, fuch as Twifs, Marfhall, Palmer, and many more, are exprefs Chiliads. It's needfull, if his judgment be right, that he mould amend that omiffion, by ane exprefs and large Appendix.
The letters and journals of Robert Baillie

So, Do you know any other puritan with a premillennial view?

And Am I classifying these one correctly as premillennial?

Last edited:
I was doing some research the other day, just going over book titles; and coincidentally, I came across this book which stood out to me, because, at least in my limited experience, I see so few Puritan (or Puritan era) books propagating what we would consider a dispensational/premillennial slant. I havent had time to read the book; and I do not know if this person would qualify as a Puritan, or as Premillennial/Millennial, but what I have goes as follows:

MATON, ROBERT (1607–1653?), divine, was the second son of William Maton of North Tidworth, Wiltshire, and his wife Thomazin, daughter of William Hayter of Langford. He was born in 1607, probably at North Tidworth, but the registers previous to 1700 have been destroyed. He entered as a commoner at Wadham College, Oxford, in Michaelmas term 1623, aged about sixteen, matriculated 3 Nov. 1626, proceeded B.A. 25 Oct. 1627, and M.A. 10 June 1630 (Gardiner). Taking holy orders he was presented to a living, but in what county is uncertain. Wood (Athenæ Oxon.) says that he was always at heart a ‘millenary,’ but that he never made public his views until the rebellion, in which he saw a possibility of their fulfilment. He published in 1642 ‘Israel's Redemption, or the Propheticall History of our Saviour's Kingdom on Earth,’ &c., and ‘Gog and Magog, or the Battle of the Great Day of God Almightie,’ London, 1642; 2nd edit. 1646. The former work led him into some controversy, and in 1644 a reply, entitled ‘Chiliasto Mastix, or the Prophecies … vindicated from the Misinterpretations of the Millenaries, and specially of Mr. Maton,’ &c., was published at Rotterdam by Alexander Petrie, minister of the Scots church there. Maton remained an ardent believer in the literal meaning of scriptural prophecy, and in 1646 he published, in reply to Petrie, ‘Israel's Redemption Redeemed, or the Jewes generall and miraculous Conversion to the Faith of the Gospel, and Returne into their owne Land; and our Saviour's Personall Reigne on Earth cleerly proved.’ He endeavours here to show the ‘proper sense of the plagues contained under the Trumpets and Vialls.’ Wood wrongly says (ib. iii. 409) that Petrie wrote a second reply. Maton's book was republished (London, 1652) under a new title, ‘Christ's Personall Reigne on Earth One Thousand Yeares. … The Manner, Beginning, and Continuation of His Reigne clearly proved by many plain Texts of Scripture,’ &c. It was again republished as ‘A Treatise of the Fifth Monarchy’ (1655), with a portrait of Maton by Cross (Granger). Though not apparently openly connected with the Fifth-monarchy men, Maton was doubtless in sympathy with them. Of his death we have no record.

[Wood's Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss, iii. 409; Granger's Biog. Hist. of England, iii. 52; Steven's Hist. of the Scottish Church in Rotterdam, Edinburgh, 1832, pp. 12–14; Gardiner's Registers of Wadham Coll. Oxford, pp. 70–1; Sir Thomas Phillipps's Visitatio Heraldica Com. Wilt., 1828, catalogued under ‘Wilts,’ for Maton's pedigree.] - DNB

Also look at Nathanael Homes, 1599-1678 - Apokalypsis Anastaseaos - The Ressurection Revealed, or, The Dawnings of the Day Star to Rise and Radiate a Visible Incomparable Glory Far Beyond any since the Creation Upon the Universal Church on Earth For a Thousand Years Yet to Come; Before the Ultima.

Last edited:
Here is also a list of books with the term "1000 years" included in them. May be you can find some books that will fit your inquiry. I apologize for the inconvenience of photoing the titles, but it is the only way I can conveniently convey to you the long titles for searching in EEBO-TCP if you do not have Puritan Search. If Puritan Search may help your research, you can find it here: www.puritansearch.org In many ways it is many times more useful than searching EBBO-TCP manually.

ret1.jpg
ret2.jpg
ret3.jpg
ret5.jpg
ret6.jpg
ret8.jpg

The "Short Title" list of those works are as following, these may not match the works titles in TCP:

A\Aspinwall_William - fl 1648-1662\The Fifth Kingdom that Shortly is to Come Into the World.html lll

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\The True Time of the Lords Day Sabbath.html

H\Hacket_John - 1592-1670\A Century of Sermons.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Chain of Principles Concerning the Thousand Years Kingdom of Christ.html

W\Wiburn_Perceval - d 1606\Reproof of Howlets Untimely Shrieking.html

W\Wilson_Thomas - 1563-1622\A Christian Dictionary.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\A Cloud of Faithful Witnesses.html

R\Ray_John - 1627-1705\A Collection of Curious Travels and Voyages.html

B\Brightman_Thomas - 1562-1607\A Commentary on the Song of Solomon.html

T\Trapp_John - 1601-1669\Commentary on the Epistles and Revelation of John.html

D\Durham_James - 1622-1658\Commentary on Revelation.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\Commentary Upon Colossians.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Commentary on the Old Testament Volume 1.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Commentary on the Old Testament Volume 2-4.html

P\Petrie_Alexander - 1594-1662\History of the Catholic Church from 600 to 1600.html

W\Wilson_Thomas - 1563-1622\A Complete Christian Dictionary.html

N\Ness_Christopher - 1621-1705\A Complete History and Mystery of the Old and New Testament.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Conciliatory Discourse Upon Crisps Sermons.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Conciliatory Judgment Concerning Crisps Sermons.html

S\Stone_Samuel - 1602-1663\A Congregational Church.html

B\Bourne_Immanuel - 1590-1672\Defense and Justification of Tithes and Infant Baptism.html

J\Jacob_Henry - 1563-1624\Defense of a Treatise Touching the Suffering and Victory of Christ.html

W\Wotton_Anthony - 1561-1626\Defense of Perkins Book Called a Reformed Catholic.html

C\Calderwood_David - 1575-1650\A Defense of our Arguments Against Kneeling in Receiving the Lords Supper.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\A Defense of A Consent of Scripture.html

F\Forbes_Patrick - 1564-1635\Defense of the Lawful Calling of Ministers of Reformed Churches.html

M\Mather_Samuel - 1651-1728\Defense of the Protestant Christian Religion.html

D\Downame_George - d 1634\A Defense of the Sermon Preached at the Consecration of the Bishop of Bath.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Defense of the Translations of the Scriptures into the English Tongue.html

C\Crowley_Robert - 1518-1588\Answer to a Popish Antichristian Catholic.html

C\Coxe_Nehemiah - d 1688\A Discourse of the Covenants.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\The Damned Art of Witchcraft.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Discourse Upon the Powers of the World to Come.html

G\Gataker_Thomas - 1574-1654\Discussion of the Popish Doctrine of Transubstantiation.html

B\Baillie_Robert - 1599-1662\A Dissuasive from the Errors of the time.html

N\Ness_Christopher - 1621-1705\The Person and Period of the Antichrist.html lll

N\Ness_Christopher - 1621-1705\A Divine Legacy Bequeathed Unto All Mankind.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\Observations Upon Genesis.html

A\Ames_William - 1576-1633\Against Human Ceremonies in Gods Worship.html

O\Owen_James - 1654-1706\Further Vindication of the Dissenters.html

R\Rogers_John - 1572-1636\Exposition Upon 1 Peter.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\Exposition of Revelation 1-3.html

W\Woodward_Hezekiah - 1590-1675\A Good Soldier Maintaining His Militia.html

C\Cobbet_Thomas - 1608-1685\The Covenant and Church Estate of Children of Church Members and their Right to Baptism.html

G\Gouge_William - 1578-1653\Commentary on Hebrews.html

P\Pont_Robert - 1524-1606\The Right Reckoning of Years and Ages of the World.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\Annotations on the New Testament.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Paraphrase on the New Testament.html

S\Stephens_Nathaniel - 1606-1678\The Name Mark and Number of the Beast.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Two Personal Comings of Christ.html lll

B\Bradshaw_William - 1571-1618\A Plain and Pithy Exposition of 2 Thessalonians.html

\Napier_John - 1550-1617\The Whole Revelation of John in Two Treatises.html

H\Hall_Thomas - 1610-1665\A Practical and Polemical Commentary Upon 2 Timothy 3-4.html

M\Moodey_Joshua - 1633-1697\The Choice Benefit of Communion with God in his House.html

C\Cooke_Alexander - 1564-1632\A Present for a Papist.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Why Some do Not Conform to Common Prayer.html

R\Rule_Gilbert - 1629-1701\Defense of Non-Conformity.html

C\Culverwell_Ezekiel - 1553 or 4-1631\A Ready Way to Remember the Scriptures.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Rejoinder to Bristows Reply.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\A Relation of Christians in the World.html

W\Welch_John - 1568-1622\Reply Against Gilbert Brown.html

A\Ainsworth_Henry - 1571-1622\A Reply to a Pretended Christians Plea for the Church of Rome.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Reply Against the Doctrine of the Thousand Years Middle Kingdom.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\A Reply to the Catholic Gentlemans Answer.html

A\Alsop_Vincent - 1629 or 30-1703\Reply to the Dean of St Pauls Reflections on the Rector of Sutton.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\Grounds of Divinity Study.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Discovery of a False Detection.html

B\Beard_Thomas - d 1632\A Retractive from the Romish Religion.html

B\Brightman_Thomas - 1562-1607\A Revelation of the Apocalypse.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\A Revelation of the Holy Apocalypse.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\Review of What God Hath Been Pleased to Do This Year.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Scheme of the Book of Revelation.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Scripture Line of Time.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Search for the English Schismatic.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Second True Defense of the Nonconformists.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Sermon of Commemoration of the Lady Danvers Late Wife.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Sermon of Judgment.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\Sermon 26 August 1645.html

C\Crashaw_William - 1572-1626\Sermon Preached in London.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Examination of Common Prayer.html

D\Dering_Edward - 1540-1576\A Sparing Restraint of Many Lavish Untruths.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Summary of the Arguments for the 1000 Year Kingdom.html

C\Collinges_John - 1623-1690\Supplement to Why Nonconforming Ministers Judge it Sinful to Perform Their Ministerial Acts.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Body of Divinity.html

B\Bernard_Richard - 1568-1641\A Threefold Treatise of the Sabbath.html

D\Downame_George - d 1634\A Treatise Concerning Antichrist.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Treatise of Divinity.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Treatise of Episcopacy.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Treatise of Justifying Righteousness.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Treatise of Religion and Learning.html

F\Fairfax_Nathaniel - 1637-1690\Bulk and Selvage of the World.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\View of Some Exceptions Made by a Romanist.html

N\Norton_John - 1606-1663\Abel Being Dead Yet Speaketh.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Acts and Monuments Volume 1.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Acts and Monuments Volume 2 Part 1.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Acts and Monuments Volume 2 Part 2.html

H\Holland_Hezekiah - fl 1638-1661\Adams Condition in Paradise Discovered.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Against the Revolt to a Foreign Jurisdiction.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Abridgment of the Book of Acts and Monuments by Timothy Bright.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Supplement to Christs Peaceful Kingdom on Earth to Come.html lll

H\Hughes_George - 1603-1667\An Exposition of Genesis.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Answer to the Proud Challenge of a Counterset Catholic.html

W\Wotton_Anthony - 1561-1626\Answer to a Popish Pamphlet.html

T\Travers_Walter - 1547 or 8-1635\Answer to a Supplicatory Epistle for the Pretended Catholics.html

S\Sparke_Thomas - 1548-1616\Answer to John De Albines.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Answer to Dodwell and Sherlock.html

W\Whitaker_William - 1548-1595\Answer to Campian the Jesuit.html

A\Allen_Richard - b 1604 or 5\An Antidote Against Heresy.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Antidote Against Popery.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\An Antilogy.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\An Apology in Brief Assertions.html

H\Hastings_Francis - d 1610\Defense of the Watch-Word Against the Ward-Word.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\An Appeal by the Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.html lll

C\Cameron_John - 1679-1625\Examination of those Plausible Appearances in the Romish Church.html

B\Bradford_John - 1510-1555\An Exhortation to the Carrying of Christs Cross.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\An Explication of our Lords Soul Going to Paradise.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\An Exposition of the Lords Prayer.html

J\Jenkyn_William - 1613-1685\Exposition of Jude.html

B\Byfield_Nicholas - 1579-1622\An Exposition Upon Colossians.html

F\Forbes_Patrick - 1564-1635\Commentary Upon Revelation.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\Animadversions on Fiat Lux.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Annotations Upon the New Testament.html

A\Ainsworth_Henry - 1571-1622\Annotations on the Pentateuch - Psalms - Song of Songs.html

K\Keach_Benjamin - 1640-1704\Antichrist Stormed.html

H\Homes_Nathanael - 1599-1678\The Resurrection Revealed.html

H\Hicks_William - 1621-1660\The Revelation Revealed.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Catholic Communion Defended Against Both Extremes.html

H\Hall_Thomas - 1610-1665\A Confutation of the Millenarian Opinion.html

\P\Petrie_Alexander - 1594-1662\The Prophecies in the Old and New Testament Concerning the Kingdom of Christ.html

S\Sadler_John - 1615-1674\Christ Under the Law.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Christs Victory over Satans Tyranny.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\Christianography.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Times of Restitution of All Things.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Church History of the Government of Bishops and Their Councils.html

R\Roberts_Francis - 1609-1675\The Key of the Bible.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Compassionate Counsel to All Young Men.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Three Pillars and Arch-patriarchs of the Popish Synagogues.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions.html

R\Rainolds_John - 1549-1607\Letter to Francis Knolles.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Exposition on the Catholic Epistles.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Christs Peaceful Kingdom on Earth to Come.html

B\Badland_Thomas - nd\Eternity.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Saints First Revealed.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Saints Rising Out of the Heap.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\Exercitation on Hebrews.html

D\du Moulin Sr_Pierre - 1568-1658\Father Cotton a Jesuit.html

C\Crowley_Robert - 1518-1588\Friar John Francis of France.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\A Fit Conjucture of Religion and Learning.html

H\Hill_Thomas - d 1653\Gods Eternal Preparations for His Dying Saints.html

C\Corbet_Edward - d 1658\Gods Providence.html

B\Barebone_Praise-God - 1596-1679\Good Things to Come.html

B\Barret_John - 1631-1713\Goodwill Towards Men.html

G\Greenwood_Henry - b 1544 or 5\Works.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\Heresiography.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Commentary on Daniel.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Commentary on Genesis and Exodus.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Commentary on Romans.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\New Jerusalem Shortly to Come Down.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Key to the Doctrines In This Book.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Word Written Concerning the Word Everliving.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Lord Bishops None of the Lords Bishops.html

C\Crashaw_William - 1572-1626\Meat for Men.html

W\Wither_George - 1588-1667\Meditations Upon the Lords Prayer.html

W\Wales_Elkanah - 1588-1669\Redemption from the Curse.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\Of Schism.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\Of the Divine Original Authority.html

T\Taffin_Jean - 1529-1602\The Marks of the Children of God and their Comforts in Affliction.html

T\Twisse_William - 1578-1646\The Morality of the Fourth Commandment Still in Force.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The World to Come.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\Our Lords Family.html

W\Wither_George - 1588-1667\Epistle to the Three Nations of England Scotland and Ireland.html

C\Cooke_Alexander - 1564-1632\Pope Joan.html

B\Brooks_Thomas - 1608-1680\Precious Remedies Against Satans Devices.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Forerunner of Christs Kingdom Upon Earth.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Pseudo-Martyr.html

F\Forrester_Thomas - 1635-1706\Review and Examination of the Doctrine.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Confession of His Faith.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Account of the Causes of Being Forbidden to Preach.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Answer to Stillingfleets Charge of Separation.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Catholic Theology Plain Pure Peaceable.html

F\Featley_Daniel - 1582-1645\Romes Ruin.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Sad and Serious Political Considerations.html

H\Harris_Robert - 1581-1658\Samuels Funeral.html

M\Murcot_John - 1625-1654\Several Works.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\The Answer to the Preface of the Rhemish Testament.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\A General View of Papistry.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Two Popish Heretics Confuted.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\The Four Principal Pillars of Papistry.html

B\Bakewell_Thomas - b 1618 or 19\The Antinomians Christ Confounded.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\The Antipathy of the English Lordly Prelacy.html

B\Bolton_Samuel - 1606-1654\The Arraignment of Error.html

B\Burton_Henry - 1578-1648\The Baiting of the Pope's Bull.html

W\Williams_Roger - 1604-1683\The Bloody Tenant Yet more Bloody.html

K\Keach_Benjamin - 1640-1704\The Breach Repaired in Gods Worship - Singing of Psalms Hymns and Spiritual Songs.html

F\Finch_Henry - d 1625\The Calling of the Jews.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Catechism of the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.html

T\Twisse_William - 1578-1646\The Christian Sabbath Defended.html

B\Binning_Hugh - 1627-1653\The Common Principles of the Christian Religion.html

G\Gale_Theophilus - 1628-1678\The Court of the Gentiles Part 3.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Defense of the Nonconformists Plea for Grace.html

B\Bagshaw_Edward - 1629-1671\The Doctrine of the Kingdom and Personal Reign of Christ.html lll

G\Greenhill_William - 1591-1671\Exposition of Ezekiel 30-48.html

P\Palmer_Herbert - 1601-1647\The Glass of Gods Providence.html

S\Sibbes_Richard - 1577-1635\The Glorious Feast of the Gospel.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Glorious Kingdom of Christ.html

\Rule_Gilbert - 1629-1701\The Good Old Way Defended.html

F\Featley_Daniel - 1582-1645\The Grand Sacrilege of the Church of Rome.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Great Charter for the Interpretation of All Prophecy.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\The Harmony Chronicle and Order of the New Testament.html

M\Mede_Joseph - 1586-1638\The Key of the Revelation.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\The Mystical World Set Forth.html

S\Sedgwick_Obadiah - 1600-1658\The Nature and Danger of Heresies.html

H\Homes_Nathanael - 1599-1678\The New World.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Nonconformists Plea for Peace.html

P\Poole_Matthew - 1624-1679\The Nullity of the Romish Faith.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Pattern of the Divine Temple Sanctuary.html

L\Love_Christopher - 1618-1651\The Penitent Pardoned.html

P\Pemble_William - 1592-1623\The Period of the Persian Monarchy.html

A\Archer_Henry - d 1642\The Personal Reign of Christ Upon Earth.html lll

R\Robotham_John - fl 1654\The Preciousness of Christ Unto Believers.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Prophetical History of the Reformation.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Reasons of the Christian Religion Part 1.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\A Second Reply to an Answer Made by Doctor Whitgift Part 2.html

P\Petto_Samuel - 1624-1711\The Revelation Unveiled.html

W\Whiston_Joseph - d 1690\The Right Method for Proving Infant Baptism.html

M\Marshall_Stephen - 1594-1655\The Right Understanding of the Times.html

F\Featley_Daniel - 1582-1645\The Romish Fisher Caught and Held in his Own Net.html

B\Byfield_Nicholas - 1579-1622\The Rule of Faith.html

G\Gill_Alexander - 1565-1635\The Sacred Philosophy of the Holy Scripture.html

B\Burroughs_Jeremiah - 1599-1646\The Seamans Direction in Time of Storm.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\A Second Reply to an Answer Made by Doctor Whitgift Part 1.html

E\Edwards_Thomas - 1599-1647\Gangrena Part 3.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Thousand Years Kingdom of Christ.html lll

C\Canne_John - d 1667\the Time of Finding.html

C\Carter_John - d 1655\The Tombstone.html

R\Rutherford_Samuel - 1600-1661\The Trial and Triumph of Faith.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The True Way of Concord of All the Christian Churches.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\The True Gain More in Worth Than All the Goods in the World.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The True History of Councils.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The True News of the Good New World Shortly to Come.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Christian Doctrine of the Day of Judgment.html

C\Collinges_John - 1623-1690\The Vindication of Liturgies Proved No Vindication.html

P\Parker_Thomas - nd\Visions and Prophecies of Daniel Expounded.html

M\Mede_Joseph - 1586-1638\Works.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\Works.html

D\Danvers_Henry - d 1687\The City of God.html

H\Heyrick_Richard - 1600-1667\Three Sermons.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Three Treatises to Awaken Secure Sinners.html

C\Canne_John - d 1667\Truth with Time.html

R\Randall_John - 1570-1622\Twenty-Nine Lectures.html

H\Harris_Robert - 1581-1658\Two Sermons 2.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Two Treatises to Awaken Secure Sinners.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Two Treatises Against the Papists.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Universal Redemption of Mankind.html

J\Jelinger_Christopher - d 1685\Usury Stated Overthrown.html

L\Lynde_Humphrey - 1579-1636\The Safe Way Leading All Christians.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\The Mystery of the Gospel Vindicated and Socinianism Examined.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Which is the True Church.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Twenty-Six Sermons.html

D\Dering_Edward - 1540-1576\Twenty-Seven Lectures Upon Hebrews.html

C\Cooke_Alexander - 1564-1632\Yet More Work for a Mass-Priest.html

Last edited:
Here is also a list of books with the term "1000 years" included in them. May be you can find some books that will fit your inquiry. I apologize for the inconvenience of photoing the titles, but it is the only way I can conveniently convey to you the long titles for searching in EEBO-TCP if you do not have Puritan Search. If Puritan Search may help your research, you can find it here: www.puritansearch.org In many ways it is many times more useful than searching EBBO-TCP manually.

View attachment 10417
View attachment 10418
View attachment 10419
View attachment 10420
View attachment 10421
View attachment 10423

The "Short Title" list of those works are as following, these may not match the works titles in TCP:

A\Aspinwall_William - fl 1648-1662\The Fifth Kingdom that Shortly is to Come Into the World.html lll

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\The True Time of the Lords Day Sabbath.html

H\Hacket_John - 1592-1670\A Century of Sermons.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Chain of Principles Concerning the Thousand Years Kingdom of Christ.html

W\Wiburn_Perceval - d 1606\Reproof of Howlets Untimely Shrieking.html

W\Wilson_Thomas - 1563-1622\A Christian Dictionary.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\A Cloud of Faithful Witnesses.html

R\Ray_John - 1627-1705\A Collection of Curious Travels and Voyages.html

B\Brightman_Thomas - 1562-1607\A Commentary on the Song of Solomon.html

T\Trapp_John - 1601-1669\Commentary on the Epistles and Revelation of John.html

D\Durham_James - 1622-1658\Commentary on Revelation.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\Commentary Upon Colossians.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Commentary on the Old Testament Volume 1.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Commentary on the Old Testament Volume 2-4.html

P\Petrie_Alexander - 1594-1662\History of the Catholic Church from 600 to 1600.html

W\Wilson_Thomas - 1563-1622\A Complete Christian Dictionary.html

N\Ness_Christopher - 1621-1705\A Complete History and Mystery of the Old and New Testament.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Conciliatory Discourse Upon Crisps Sermons.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Conciliatory Judgment Concerning Crisps Sermons.html

S\Stone_Samuel - 1602-1663\A Congregational Church.html

B\Bourne_Immanuel - 1590-1672\Defense and Justification of Tithes and Infant Baptism.html

J\Jacob_Henry - 1563-1624\Defense of a Treatise Touching the Suffering and Victory of Christ.html

W\Wotton_Anthony - 1561-1626\Defense of Perkins Book Called a Reformed Catholic.html

C\Calderwood_David - 1575-1650\A Defense of our Arguments Against Kneeling in Receiving the Lords Supper.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\A Defense of A Consent of Scripture.html

F\Forbes_Patrick - 1564-1635\Defense of the Lawful Calling of Ministers of Reformed Churches.html

M\Mather_Samuel - 1651-1728\Defense of the Protestant Christian Religion.html

D\Downame_George - d 1634\A Defense of the Sermon Preached at the Consecration of the Bishop of Bath.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Defense of the Translations of the Scriptures into the English Tongue.html

C\Crowley_Robert - 1518-1588\Answer to a Popish Antichristian Catholic.html

C\Coxe_Nehemiah - d 1688\A Discourse of the Covenants.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\The Damned Art of Witchcraft.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Discourse Upon the Powers of the World to Come.html

G\Gataker_Thomas - 1574-1654\Discussion of the Popish Doctrine of Transubstantiation.html

B\Baillie_Robert - 1599-1662\A Dissuasive from the Errors of the time.html

N\Ness_Christopher - 1621-1705\The Person and Period of the Antichrist.html lll

N\Ness_Christopher - 1621-1705\A Divine Legacy Bequeathed Unto All Mankind.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\Observations Upon Genesis.html

A\Ames_William - 1576-1633\Against Human Ceremonies in Gods Worship.html

O\Owen_James - 1654-1706\Further Vindication of the Dissenters.html

R\Rogers_John - 1572-1636\Exposition Upon 1 Peter.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\Exposition of Revelation 1-3.html

W\Woodward_Hezekiah - 1590-1675\A Good Soldier Maintaining His Militia.html

C\Cobbet_Thomas - 1608-1685\The Covenant and Church Estate of Children of Church Members and their Right to Baptism.html

G\Gouge_William - 1578-1653\Commentary on Hebrews.html

P\Pont_Robert - 1524-1606\The Right Reckoning of Years and Ages of the World.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\Annotations on the New Testament.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Paraphrase on the New Testament.html

S\Stephens_Nathaniel - 1606-1678\The Name Mark and Number of the Beast.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Two Personal Comings of Christ.html lll

B\Bradshaw_William - 1571-1618\A Plain and Pithy Exposition of 2 Thessalonians.html

\Napier_John - 1550-1617\The Whole Revelation of John in Two Treatises.html

H\Hall_Thomas - 1610-1665\A Practical and Polemical Commentary Upon 2 Timothy 3-4.html

M\Moodey_Joshua - 1633-1697\The Choice Benefit of Communion with God in his House.html

C\Cooke_Alexander - 1564-1632\A Present for a Papist.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Why Some do Not Conform to Common Prayer.html

R\Rule_Gilbert - 1629-1701\Defense of Non-Conformity.html

C\Culverwell_Ezekiel - 1553 or 4-1631\A Ready Way to Remember the Scriptures.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Rejoinder to Bristows Reply.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\A Relation of Christians in the World.html

W\Welch_John - 1568-1622\Reply Against Gilbert Brown.html

A\Ainsworth_Henry - 1571-1622\A Reply to a Pretended Christians Plea for the Church of Rome.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Reply Against the Doctrine of the Thousand Years Middle Kingdom.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\A Reply to the Catholic Gentlemans Answer.html

A\Alsop_Vincent - 1629 or 30-1703\Reply to the Dean of St Pauls Reflections on the Rector of Sutton.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\Grounds of Divinity Study.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Discovery of a False Detection.html

B\Beard_Thomas - d 1632\A Retractive from the Romish Religion.html

B\Brightman_Thomas - 1562-1607\A Revelation of the Apocalypse.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\A Revelation of the Holy Apocalypse.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\Review of What God Hath Been Pleased to Do This Year.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Scheme of the Book of Revelation.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Scripture Line of Time.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Search for the English Schismatic.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Second True Defense of the Nonconformists.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Sermon of Commemoration of the Lady Danvers Late Wife.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Sermon of Judgment.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\Sermon 26 August 1645.html

C\Crashaw_William - 1572-1626\Sermon Preached in London.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Examination of Common Prayer.html

D\Dering_Edward - 1540-1576\A Sparing Restraint of Many Lavish Untruths.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\A Summary of the Arguments for the 1000 Year Kingdom.html

C\Collinges_John - 1623-1690\Supplement to Why Nonconforming Ministers Judge it Sinful to Perform Their Ministerial Acts.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Body of Divinity.html

B\Bernard_Richard - 1568-1641\A Threefold Treatise of the Sabbath.html

D\Downame_George - d 1634\A Treatise Concerning Antichrist.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Treatise of Divinity.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Treatise of Episcopacy.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\A Treatise of Justifying Righteousness.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Treatise of Religion and Learning.html

F\Fairfax_Nathaniel - 1637-1690\Bulk and Selvage of the World.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\View of Some Exceptions Made by a Romanist.html

N\Norton_John - 1606-1663\Abel Being Dead Yet Speaketh.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Acts and Monuments Volume 1.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Acts and Monuments Volume 2 Part 1.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Acts and Monuments Volume 2 Part 2.html

H\Holland_Hezekiah - fl 1638-1661\Adams Condition in Paradise Discovered.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Against the Revolt to a Foreign Jurisdiction.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Abridgment of the Book of Acts and Monuments by Timothy Bright.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Supplement to Christs Peaceful Kingdom on Earth to Come.html lll

H\Hughes_George - 1603-1667\An Exposition of Genesis.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Answer to the Proud Challenge of a Counterset Catholic.html

W\Wotton_Anthony - 1561-1626\Answer to a Popish Pamphlet.html

T\Travers_Walter - 1547 or 8-1635\Answer to a Supplicatory Epistle for the Pretended Catholics.html

S\Sparke_Thomas - 1548-1616\Answer to John De Albines.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Answer to Dodwell and Sherlock.html

W\Whitaker_William - 1548-1595\Answer to Campian the Jesuit.html

A\Allen_Richard - b 1604 or 5\An Antidote Against Heresy.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Antidote Against Popery.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\An Antilogy.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\An Apology in Brief Assertions.html

H\Hastings_Francis - d 1610\Defense of the Watch-Word Against the Ward-Word.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\An Appeal by the Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.html lll

C\Cameron_John - 1679-1625\Examination of those Plausible Appearances in the Romish Church.html

B\Bradford_John - 1510-1555\An Exhortation to the Carrying of Christs Cross.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\An Explication of our Lords Soul Going to Paradise.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\An Exposition of the Lords Prayer.html

J\Jenkyn_William - 1613-1685\Exposition of Jude.html

B\Byfield_Nicholas - 1579-1622\An Exposition Upon Colossians.html

F\Forbes_Patrick - 1564-1635\Commentary Upon Revelation.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\Animadversions on Fiat Lux.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\Annotations Upon the New Testament.html

A\Ainsworth_Henry - 1571-1622\Annotations on the Pentateuch - Psalms - Song of Songs.html

K\Keach_Benjamin - 1640-1704\Antichrist Stormed.html

H\Homes_Nathanael - 1599-1678\The Resurrection Revealed.html

H\Hicks_William - 1621-1660\The Revelation Revealed.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Catholic Communion Defended Against Both Extremes.html

H\Hall_Thomas - 1610-1665\A Confutation of the Millenarian Opinion.html

\P\Petrie_Alexander - 1594-1662\The Prophecies in the Old and New Testament Concerning the Kingdom of Christ.html

S\Sadler_John - 1615-1674\Christ Under the Law.html

F\Foxe_John - 1516-1587\Christs Victory over Satans Tyranny.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\Christianography.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Times of Restitution of All Things.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Church History of the Government of Bishops and Their Councils.html

R\Roberts_Francis - 1609-1675\The Key of the Bible.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Compassionate Counsel to All Young Men.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Three Pillars and Arch-patriarchs of the Popish Synagogues.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions.html

R\Rainolds_John - 1549-1607\Letter to Francis Knolles.html

M\Mayer_John - 1583-1664\Exposition on the Catholic Epistles.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Christs Peaceful Kingdom on Earth to Come.html

B\Badland_Thomas - nd\Eternity.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Saints First Revealed.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Saints Rising Out of the Heap.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\Exercitation on Hebrews.html

D\du Moulin Sr_Pierre - 1568-1658\Father Cotton a Jesuit.html

C\Crowley_Robert - 1518-1588\Friar John Francis of France.html

L\Leigh_Edward - 1602-1671\A Fit Conjucture of Religion and Learning.html

H\Hill_Thomas - d 1653\Gods Eternal Preparations for His Dying Saints.html

C\Corbet_Edward - d 1658\Gods Providence.html

B\Barebone_Praise-God - 1596-1679\Good Things to Come.html

B\Barret_John - 1631-1713\Goodwill Towards Men.html

G\Greenwood_Henry - b 1544 or 5\Works.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\Heresiography.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Commentary on Daniel.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Commentary on Genesis and Exodus.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\Commentary on Romans.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\New Jerusalem Shortly to Come Down.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\Key to the Doctrines In This Book.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Word Written Concerning the Word Everliving.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Lord Bishops None of the Lords Bishops.html

C\Crashaw_William - 1572-1626\Meat for Men.html

W\Wither_George - 1588-1667\Meditations Upon the Lords Prayer.html

W\Wales_Elkanah - 1588-1669\Redemption from the Curse.html

H\Hammond_Henry - 1605-1660\Of Schism.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\Of the Divine Original Authority.html

T\Taffin_Jean - 1529-1602\The Marks of the Children of God and their Comforts in Affliction.html

T\Twisse_William - 1578-1646\The Morality of the Fourth Commandment Still in Force.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The World to Come.html

B\Broughton_Hugh - 1549-1612\Our Lords Family.html

W\Wither_George - 1588-1667\Epistle to the Three Nations of England Scotland and Ireland.html

C\Cooke_Alexander - 1564-1632\Pope Joan.html

B\Brooks_Thomas - 1608-1680\Precious Remedies Against Satans Devices.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The Forerunner of Christs Kingdom Upon Earth.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Pseudo-Martyr.html

F\Forrester_Thomas - 1635-1706\Review and Examination of the Doctrine.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Confession of His Faith.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Account of the Causes of Being Forbidden to Preach.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Answer to Stillingfleets Charge of Separation.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Catholic Theology Plain Pure Peaceable.html

F\Featley_Daniel - 1582-1645\Romes Ruin.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\Sad and Serious Political Considerations.html

H\Harris_Robert - 1581-1658\Samuels Funeral.html

M\Murcot_John - 1625-1654\Several Works.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\The Answer to the Preface of the Rhemish Testament.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\A General View of Papistry.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Two Popish Heretics Confuted.html

W\Willet_Andrew - 1562-1621\The Four Principal Pillars of Papistry.html

B\Bakewell_Thomas - b 1618 or 19\The Antinomians Christ Confounded.html

P\Prynne_William - 1600-1669\The Antipathy of the English Lordly Prelacy.html

B\Bolton_Samuel - 1606-1654\The Arraignment of Error.html

B\Burton_Henry - 1578-1648\The Baiting of the Pope's Bull.html

W\Williams_Roger - 1604-1683\The Bloody Tenant Yet more Bloody.html

K\Keach_Benjamin - 1640-1704\The Breach Repaired in Gods Worship - Singing of Psalms Hymns and Spiritual Songs.html

F\Finch_Henry - d 1625\The Calling of the Jews.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Catechism of the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.html

T\Twisse_William - 1578-1646\The Christian Sabbath Defended.html

B\Binning_Hugh - 1627-1653\The Common Principles of the Christian Religion.html

G\Gale_Theophilus - 1628-1678\The Court of the Gentiles Part 3.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Defense of the Nonconformists Plea for Grace.html

B\Bagshaw_Edward - 1629-1671\The Doctrine of the Kingdom and Personal Reign of Christ.html lll

G\Greenhill_William - 1591-1671\Exposition of Ezekiel 30-48.html

P\Palmer_Herbert - 1601-1647\The Glass of Gods Providence.html

S\Sibbes_Richard - 1577-1635\The Glorious Feast of the Gospel.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Glorious Kingdom of Christ.html

\Rule_Gilbert - 1629-1701\The Good Old Way Defended.html

F\Featley_Daniel - 1582-1645\The Grand Sacrilege of the Church of Rome.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Great Charter for the Interpretation of All Prophecy.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\The Harmony Chronicle and Order of the New Testament.html

M\Mede_Joseph - 1586-1638\The Key of the Revelation.html

P\Pagitt_Ephraim - 1574 or 5-1647\The Mystical World Set Forth.html

S\Sedgwick_Obadiah - 1600-1658\The Nature and Danger of Heresies.html

H\Homes_Nathanael - 1599-1678\The New World.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Nonconformists Plea for Peace.html

P\Poole_Matthew - 1624-1679\The Nullity of the Romish Faith.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Pattern of the Divine Temple Sanctuary.html

L\Love_Christopher - 1618-1651\The Penitent Pardoned.html

P\Pemble_William - 1592-1623\The Period of the Persian Monarchy.html

A\Archer_Henry - d 1642\The Personal Reign of Christ Upon Earth.html lll

R\Robotham_John - fl 1654\The Preciousness of Christ Unto Believers.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Prophetical History of the Reformation.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The Reasons of the Christian Religion Part 1.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\A Second Reply to an Answer Made by Doctor Whitgift Part 2.html

P\Petto_Samuel - 1624-1711\The Revelation Unveiled.html

W\Whiston_Joseph - d 1690\The Right Method for Proving Infant Baptism.html

M\Marshall_Stephen - 1594-1655\The Right Understanding of the Times.html

F\Featley_Daniel - 1582-1645\The Romish Fisher Caught and Held in his Own Net.html

B\Byfield_Nicholas - 1579-1622\The Rule of Faith.html

G\Gill_Alexander - 1565-1635\The Sacred Philosophy of the Holy Scripture.html

B\Burroughs_Jeremiah - 1599-1646\The Seamans Direction in Time of Storm.html

C\Cartwright_Thomas - 1535-1603\A Second Reply to an Answer Made by Doctor Whitgift Part 1.html

E\Edwards_Thomas - 1599-1647\Gangrena Part 3.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Thousand Years Kingdom of Christ.html lll

C\Canne_John - d 1667\the Time of Finding.html

C\Carter_John - d 1655\The Tombstone.html

R\Rutherford_Samuel - 1600-1661\The Trial and Triumph of Faith.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The True Way of Concord of All the Christian Churches.html

P\Perkins_William - 1558-1602\The True Gain More in Worth Than All the Goods in the World.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\The True History of Councils.html

S\Sherwin_William - 1607-1687\The True News of the Good New World Shortly to Come.html

B\Beverley_Thomas - nd\The Christian Doctrine of the Day of Judgment.html

C\Collinges_John - 1623-1690\The Vindication of Liturgies Proved No Vindication.html

P\Parker_Thomas - nd\Visions and Prophecies of Daniel Expounded.html

M\Mede_Joseph - 1586-1638\Works.html

L\Lightfoot_John - 1602-1675\Works.html

D\Danvers_Henry - d 1687\The City of God.html

H\Heyrick_Richard - 1600-1667\Three Sermons.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Three Treatises to Awaken Secure Sinners.html

C\Canne_John - d 1667\Truth with Time.html

R\Randall_John - 1570-1622\Twenty-Nine Lectures.html

H\Harris_Robert - 1581-1658\Two Sermons 2.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Two Treatises to Awaken Secure Sinners.html

F\Fulke_William - 1538-1589\Two Treatises Against the Papists.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Universal Redemption of Mankind.html

J\Jelinger_Christopher - d 1685\Usury Stated Overthrown.html

L\Lynde_Humphrey - 1579-1636\The Safe Way Leading All Christians.html

O\Owen_John - 1616-1683\The Mystery of the Gospel Vindicated and Socinianism Examined.html

B\Baxter_Richard - 1615-1691\Which is the True Church.html

D\Donne_John - 1572-1631\Twenty-Six Sermons.html

D\Dering_Edward - 1540-1576\Twenty-Seven Lectures Upon Hebrews.html

C\Cooke_Alexander - 1564-1632\Yet More Work for a Mass-Priest.html

Thanks so much

I've this program here.
I thought about search in it before, but I did not.

Now I will try to find and read these* works, and search more.

Last edited:
I haven't looked into this in a long time and have never delved into it as deeply as I would have hoped. But I remember reading in the recent biography on Jeremiah Burroughs that premillennialism was relatively common among the Independents but not among the Presbyterians, and that this was one of the differences or bones of contention between them.

I've searched* some issues in puritan era, and I've founded some Puritans were Premillenialists or Millenarists(the old term), and this in all 3 Confessional and Theological Positions: Particular Baptists, Independents/Congregationals and Presbyterians

Benjamin Keach - LBCF1689

Hanserd Knollys - LBCF1689

Jeremiah Burroughs - DFS

Thomas Goodwin - WCF

William Twisse - WCF

Preface Mede's Work on Revelation, a very premillennial Work

John Bunyan - Non Confessional

Marshall, Palmer and Some Independents - Secondary References by Robert Baillie

So, Do you know any other puritan with a premillennial view?

And Am I classifying these one correctly as premillennial?
Just dropping a comment to note that the premillennialists among the puritans tended to be historicists, not futurists, in their reading of Revelation. Thus, their interpretation of prophecy really had little in common with modern premillennialism, let alone dispensationalism.

Fun fact: If you read Matthew Poole's commentary on Revelation (thoroughly historicist), when he comes to the millennium, he doesn't know whether to place it before or after the return of Christ.

Yeah, Truthly every 16-18 century protestant theologian that I remember, every one was historicist, except Hugo Grotius
I'm myself a Partial Preterist as Grotius, but it's clear in my mind, that Partial Preterism is not a common and usual position in 16-18 century

Just dropping a comment to note that the premillennialists among the puritans tended to be historicists, not futurists, in their reading of Revelation. Thus, their interpretation of prophecy really had little in common with modern premillennialism, let alone dispensationalism.

Fun fact: If you read Matthew Poole's commentary on Revelation (thoroughly historicist), when he comes to the millennium, he doesn't know whether to place it before or after the return of Christ.
Interesting point about Matthew Poole, I didn't know that
Thanks

I was doing some research the other day, just going over book titles; and coincidentally, I came across this book which stood out to me, because, at least in my limited experience, I see so few Puritan (or Puritan era) books propagating what we would consider a dispensational/premillennial slant. I havent had time to read the book; and I do not know if this person would qualify as a Puritan, or as Premillennial/Millennial, but what I have goes as follows:

MATON, ROBERT (1607–1653?), divine, was the second son of William Maton of North Tidworth, Wiltshire, and his wife Thomazin, daughter of William Hayter of Langford. He was born in 1607, probably at North Tidworth, but the registers previous to 1700 have been destroyed. He entered as a commoner at Wadham College, Oxford, in Michaelmas term 1623, aged about sixteen, matriculated 3 Nov. 1626, proceeded B.A. 25 Oct. 1627, and M.A. 10 June 1630 (Gardiner). Taking holy orders he was presented to a living, but in what county is uncertain. Wood (Athenæ Oxon.) says that he was always at heart a ‘millenary,’ but that he never made public his views until the rebellion, in which he saw a possibility of their fulfilment. He published in 1642 ‘Israel's Redemption, or the Propheticall History of our Saviour's Kingdom on Earth,’ &c., and ‘Gog and Magog, or the Battle of the Great Day of God Almightie,’ London, 1642; 2nd edit. 1646. The former work led him into some controversy, and in 1644 a reply, entitled ‘Chiliasto Mastix, or the Prophecies … vindicated from the Misinterpretations of the Millenaries, and specially of Mr. Maton,’ &c., was published at Rotterdam by Alexander Petrie, minister of the Scots church there. Maton remained an ardent believer in the literal meaning of scriptural prophecy, and in 1646 he published, in reply to Petrie, ‘Israel's Redemption Redeemed, or the Jewes generall and miraculous Conversion to the Faith of the Gospel, and Returne into their owne Land; and our Saviour's Personall Reigne on Earth cleerly proved.’ He endeavours here to show the ‘proper sense of the plagues contained under the Trumpets and Vialls.’ Wood wrongly says (ib. iii. 409) that Petrie wrote a second reply. Maton's book was republished (London, 1652) under a new title, ‘Christ's Personall Reigne on Earth One Thousand Yeares. … The Manner, Beginning, and Continuation of His Reigne clearly proved by many plain Texts of Scripture,’ &c. It was again republished as ‘A Treatise of the Fifth Monarchy’ (1655), with a portrait of Maton by Cross (Granger). Though not apparently openly connected with the Fifth-monarchy men, Maton was doubtless in sympathy with them. Of his death we have no record.

[Wood's Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss, iii. 409; Granger's Biog. Hist. of England, iii. 52; Steven's Hist. of the Scottish Church in Rotterdam, Edinburgh, 1832, pp. 12–14; Gardiner's Registers of Wadham Coll. Oxford, pp. 70–1; Sir Thomas Phillipps's Visitatio Heraldica Com. Wilt., 1828, catalogued under ‘Wilts,’ for Maton's pedigree.] - DNB

Also look at Nathanael Homes, 1599-1678 - Apokalypsis Anastaseaos - The Ressurection Revealed, or, The Dawnings of the Day Star to Rise and Radiate a Visible Incomparable Glory Far Beyond any since the Creation Upon the Universal Church on Earth For a Thousand Years Yet to Come; Before the Ultima.
I've found more about Robert Maton and Nathanael Holmes

Robert Manton
You see againe, that when our Saviour comes to reigne over all the earth, he comes not alone, but brings all the Saints with him. Which words as they doe establish the literall sense of the first Resurrection, mentioned in the 20. Chap. of the Rev. So they make the Kingdome of Israel, and the thousand yeares reigne of the Saints there spo∣ken of, to sunchronize and meete together, for why shall the Saints come with him, but because they have a share in this Kingdome, and are to be his assistants in it, as he told his Disciples; and as the Elders in the 5. Chap. of the Rev. at the 10. ver. said in the hearing of Saint John. Thou hast made us unto our God Kings, and Priests, and we shall reigne on earth. And this will appeare to a diligent eye, even out of the controversed place in the 20. Chap. of the Rev. for besides, that the opposition betwixt the first and the last Resurrection, doth impose the same sense on both; besides this, I say, the vision represented not unto Saint John, perfect men (at the first) that is, men that should be be∣headed for the witnesse of Jesus; but soules onely, and that as of men already beheaded: which most manifestly shewes, that the Resurrection after men∣tioned, did follow their death, and not goe be∣fore it. And therefore, may not be taken spiritu∣ally...
Israel's redemption

Nathanael Holmes
All such saints shall reign with Christ, (the kingdoms of the earth then being actually and absolutely become His kingdoms,) and visibly possess the power and dominion over the earth, for a thousand years, literally and properly taken; and Christ shall most gloriously appear, at least at the beginning and ending of that thousand years: though we cannot yet so demonstratively and infallibly hold forth, that he shall continue all that time personally present upon the earth. The Devil, in the meanwhile, shall all that time be wholly and absolutely restrained (in effects, acts, and person,) from the precincts of the Church.
The Resurrection Revealed, Nathaniel Homes

Another thing to note is that older covenant premils as well as some older postmils saw not only a mass conversion of the Jews but also a restoration to the promised land. This can be confusing or bewildering to many who assume that only dispensationalists believe that. (Dispensationalism as a system or whole package was new but some of the components were not new.) Some of the writers of Puritan era don’t really fit into the current categories. There are 19th and even 20th century teachers, some of them well known, that don’t fit into our usual categories either.

Last edited:
Another thing to note is that older covenant premils as well as some older postmils saw not only a mass conversion of the Jews but also a restoration to the promised land. This can be confusing or bewildering to many who assume that only dispensationalists believe that. (Dispensationalism as a system or whole package was new but some of the components were not new.) Some of the writers of Puritan era don’t really fit into the current categories. There are 19th and even 20th century teachers, some of them well known, that don’t fit into our usual categories either.
Yeah, I've pointed it.

It could be strange for some of us with a modern eschatology, but it's the normal pre-mil and pos-mil eschatology

Other interesting point it's that some as Benjamin Keach and Knollys see a effusion of Holy Gifts and Power in the millennium
I've read about a pos-mil that believed that persons shall die very old, like in the pre-flood time

Other interesting point it's that some as Benjamin Keach and Knollys see a effusion of Holy Gifts and Power in the millennium
I've read about a pos-mil that believed that persons shall die very old, like in the pre-flood time
I've seen Knollys appealed to by "Reformed Charismatics."

I think John Gill might have taught that the "sign gifts" would return in the millennium, but maybe I have him confused with another old Baptist writer. Maybe I'm thinking of J.M. Pendleton, who was postmil, I think. It has been a while since I've read old Baptist works, and by no means have I read a ton of it. There is more and more available now that things like Early English Books Online exist.

Dying very old is probably taken from Isa 65:20. It is a common text used by premils against amils. Many and perhaps most postmils today are essentially "optimistic amillennialists" who are optimistic about the progress of the gospel in this age, whereas many amils are just about as pessimistic as premils. Partial preterist postmils often don't argue for a separate millennium or golden age at the end of the age the way older postmils did.

Very Interesting Point
If you have any link or doc, please share
I remember seeing an essay or paper about it, but it was almost 20 years ago. I don't know if it was in a theological journal somewhere or if it was just something that someone posted online that may or may not still be online today.

I think John Gill might have taught that the "sign gifts" would return in the millennium, but maybe I have him confused with another old Baptist writer. Maybe I'm thinking of J.M. Pendleton, who was postmil, I think. It has been a while since I've read old Baptist works, and by no means have I read a ton of it. There is more and more available now that things like Early English Books Online exist.
I will try to find about Gill and this Pendleton (I don't know him)
John Gill and John Lightfoot are my favorite theologians

I will try to find about Gill and this Pendleton (I don't know him)
John Gill and John Lightfoot are my favorite theologians
Pendleton was a Baptist theologian in the USA in the 19th Century. He is one third of the famous (or infamous) "Triumverate" of Landmark Baptist leaders. If it is a book of his that I'm thinking of, it is from his "Christian Doctrines," which is a basic or introductory theology book. (I think his views on soteriology may have been broadly Calvinistic, but he probably wasn't even a "Five Pointer" much less "Reformed" otherwise, although he probably would have had traditional views on observing the Lord's Day.) Maybe page 383 about men being raised up and going forth in the spirit and power of Elias is what I'm remembering, but I thought I remembered something more specific about miracles or what are called by some "sign gifts." He doesn't specifically say that these men will be "miracle workers" but perhaps it is implied. He cites Andrew Fuller in that paragraph, so maybe Fuller had something to say about it. (That chapter does confirm my memory of Pendleton being postmil though, and postmil of a sort rarely seen today.) So maybe it's not Pendleton and might have been someone else. I haven't read a lot of Gill, especially not in the last 15-20 years. But now that I've thought more about it, I think it was either Pendleton or some other postmil that I was thinking of, and I thought it was an interesting view at the time that I first encountered it.

You had asked about premil, so I apologize if this has gotten the thread off track.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back