Reading Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Puritan Board Junior
I'd be interested in hearing about others' reading habits, such as: how you prioritize your books (do you categorize them for reading, make a list, read what has the neatest looking cover, etc.)? How many books you read at the same time? (= a perennial problem for me!) How do you ensure you have a balanced diet and variety? Etc., etc., etc. . . . :book2: :coffee:

At present, I don't have too much of a choice in what I'm going to read -- I have a hard enough time keeping up with the required reading for my classes! :)

I wish I had a plan...and I wish I were a fast reader. I don't. The highlight of my day is coming home from work, after hitting the Gym, and picking up my books. I am usually reading 2-4 books at a time, however. There are many books that I get ONLY half way through, and don't pick them back up till months later. I usually finish them, but some I have left half read.

I don't really have a plan. The Scriptures take priority of course but I read a bit 'o this and a bit 'o that. Ranging from the deeply theological to the political all the way down to the just plain silly.

I read at my Bible at night before I go to bed, as I have done almost every night for the last 11 years or so. Other than the Bible, I have a book I read to the kids after we sing a few Psalms (currently it's The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson), and a book I read to the girls when I lay them down for a nap (currently it's Female Piety by John Angell James). I don't have a system for picking them out, though, I guess it's just what I feel like at the moment.

Watson ! Now there's a book. This just happens to be one I am reading. I am enjoying that book as much as any book I have ever read. What a treasure it is !

I read at my Bible at night before I go to bed, as I have done almost every night for the last 11 years or so. Other than the Bible, I have a book I read to the kids after we sing a few Psalms (currently it's The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson), and a book I read to the girls when I lay them down for a nap (currently it's Female Piety by John Angell James). I don't have a system for picking them out, though, I guess it's just what I feel like at the moment.

Watson ! Now there's a book. This just happens to be one I am reading. I am enjoying that book as much as any book I have ever read. What a treasure it is !

It is..

one of my biggest problems is getting four or five books going, and then not finishing one or more of them because I get new books in the interim, and start them...

Case in point... now. Just picked up Jude by Jenkyn - a great looking exposition from the first several pages; this is displacing (temporarily?) some other books (and when Domestical Duties by Gouge comes, I don't know what I'll do!) :book2:

;) Ah but isn't this a good problem to have !

:book2: :book2: :book2: :up:

It is..

one of my biggest problems is getting four or five books going, and then not finishing one or more of them because I get new books in the interim, and start them...

Case in point... now. Just picked up Jude by Jenkyn - a great looking exposition from the first several pages; this is displacing (temporarily?) some other books (and when Domestical Duties by Gouge comes, I don't know what I'll do!) :book2:

I'm in the middle of reading all three of these:

Calvin's Institutes
Gaffin's Resurrection and Redemption
Piper's Future Grace

At least, those are the three that I remember that I'm reading right now! :um: :rofl:

I think reading profitably requires more discipline than I can currently boast of. I read too many 100 first pages.. :-\ I'll try harder, though!

over the last few years of rather concentrated study i find that i seldom finish a book. preferring to read those sections that i am interested in and skipping the rest. i find writing an amazon review for those that i finish helps a bit to organize my reading. but i'm not really keeping score anymore. i have literally dozens of partial read books on the table and put up the book that seems most interesting to me at this moment and put it down when it ceases to be.

There is hope for me yet then....!

over the last few years of rather concentrated study i find that i seldom finish a book. preferring to read those sections that i am interested in and skipping the rest. i find writing an amazon review for those that i finish helps a bit to organize my reading. but i'm not really keeping score anymore. i have literally dozens of partial read books on the table and put up the book that seems most interesting to me at this moment and put it down when it ceases to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back