Remembrance Day 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
Today is the day on which we think of those who gave their lives in all wars since 1914 in service of the British Empire/Commenwealth.

I take it more widely than this, as I've never known anyone subsequently killed in conflict. I widen it to include all who served and have since died, especially

Percy Dyke Royal Artillery (Grandfather)
Maurice Spick Royal Signals (Father in law)

I also include our allies. It seems odd to remember those who stormed three of the D Day beaches, but not Omaha and Utah.

As we don't have a Veterans Day, this seems a good day to thank all those who wear, or have worn, the uniform of a free nation.
 
I currently work in an Air Force Commissary This week they were giving out Poppies to wear. I was struck by the realization that probably 90% of those there who were under 60 probably had no clue of what they symbolized. Sadly WWI is forgotten in America even though we had over 100 thousand killed
and over 200 thousand wounded. Next year will of course mark the 100th anniversary of the war so I hope it will be brought to the recollection of more people.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Lt. Col. John McCrae Canadian Army

David Davis
PCA Montgomery, AL
Dave,s Ravings
 
On each of our trips to Scotland I have been deeply affected by how the "Great War" is remembered and memorialized.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top