RTS Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Mrs James

You need to make yourself familiar with what Mrs. James is doing.

Go to The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood for analysis.

In my humble opinion, she is laying the groundwork for women's ordination, though, at present, she pulls back from advocating female elders.

But, all her presuppositions and exegesis points in that direction.

And, like it or not, her reputation is bound up with that of her husband's.

Note that she speaks at Christians for Biblical Equality, and has their feminist speakers at her Ezer conferences. Cf. Tim and David Bayly's blog.

Re Frame: That we often fight about wrong things NEVER exempts us from contending for the gospel. And, though I disagree with Frame on worship, that is a tertiary issue, as far as I'm concerned.

Dr. Futato's situation may have been complex, and not at all judging his teaching ability or confessional fidelity. It just made his appointment there a strange choice, particularly in regards to timing.

All that to say is: Greenville is not for everyone, maybe (and frankly I think it is vastly and unfairly underrated).

But, there are more than two choices, are there not? My first pick for anyone, were money and distance no obstacles, would be WSC.

You need to make yourself familiar with what Mrs. James is doing.

Go to The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood for analysis.

In my humble opinion, she is laying the groundwork for women's ordination, though, at present, she pulls back from advocating female elders.

But, all her presuppositions and exegesis points in that direction.

And, like it or not, her reputation is bound up with that of her husband's.

Note that she speaks at Christians for Biblical Equality, and has their feminist speakers at her Ezer conferences. Cf. Tim and David Bayly's blog.,

Perhaps I do. Dr. James just made us write a paper on complementarianism versus egalitarianism, and I certainly never got any hint of egalitarianism from him. However, I have not read his wife's works, so I must stay silent till I know more about it.

Re Frame: That we often fight about wrong things NEVER exempts us from contending for the gospel. And, though I disagree with Frame on worship, that is a tertiary issue, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed on your first statement. And I think Frame would agree with that. I just reread his Warrior Children piece to refresh my memory, and I think that is really what he was getting at. Machen was right to fight against liberalism. But we have started fighting about things that maybe aren't so important, we have had too much certainty about things that aren't so clear, and we have fought (even for the right truths) often in the wrong way.

Dr. Futato's situation may have been complex, and not at all judging his teaching ability or confessional fidelity. It just made his appointment there a strange choice, particularly in regards to timing.

Granted.

All that to say is: Greenville is not for everyone, maybe (and frankly I think it is vastly and unfairly underrated).

Perhaps so.

But, there are more than two choices, are there not? My first pick for anyone, were money and distance no obstacles, would be WSC.

There are more than two choices. RTS-O was my pick at the time. And let me say again I realize it isn't perfect...I don't want to paint a rosy, everything's perfect picture, because that isn't the way it is. But I think that claiming it's somehow no longer Reformed or heading towards total abandonment of Reformed orthodoxy as some claim is unfounded. If I had to go back again, I probably would have gone to WTS-Dallas. But that's because I'm from Dallas originally and I could have saved a lot of money living there, not because I think it's better...

But I'm done with this topic I think. Yes, RTS-O is more diverse than other places, talks about the Confession less, and has some profs who are somewhat looser in their interpretation of the Confession than other seminaries. But it's a good environment to learn, debate, discuss, and grow, and as I look at the senior class this year (I'm 1st year), it's turning out some very solid Reformed pastors.

Last edited:
BTW Dena, I clicked through to your church and found you and Andrew on their staff page. I'm from Overland Park too!

Berny, welcome to Puritan Board. It is nice to have you with us :) I am curious why you would commute to Orlando from Miami, when Knox Seminary is in Ft. Lauderdale. This is much closer to home for you.

Thanks for the welcome.

A couple of reasons made me decide RTS Orlando over Knox.

1) RTS Orlando just seemed like a better school. I know people that have gone to both and I weighed their opinions. I also did some research on the matter.

2) My wife and I loved the idea of moving away from what we've known for a period. We live on our own here in Miami, but we always see our families. That's a great thing, and both of us have wonderful families. But there's something exciting about doing your own thing with your wife early in marriage for a while apart from what you've known for so long. I've only been married for five months, and the prospect of being more on our own than we are now is thrilling. And Orlando provides the perfect distance from Miami. Not so close that we're seeing our friends and family multiple times a week, but not so far that we have to buy a plane ticket to see them.

BTW Dena, I clicked through to your church and found you and Andrew on their staff page. I'm from Overland Park too!

sweet! I love the OP. OP, oh, how I miss thee!!! ( I really do miss it...never knew how much I would until I left.)

I miss having four perfect seasons. *sigh*

sweet! I love the OP. OP, oh, how I miss thee!!! ( I really do miss it...never knew how much I would until I left.)

Yeah that's what I tell everyone down here in Miami that seems to be convinced that perfect weather is an eternal summer. They've never seen an autumn season like the one in Overland Park, Kansas!

Yeah that's what I tell everyone down here in Miami that seems to be convinced that perfect weather is an eternal summer. They've never seen an autumn season like the one in Overland Park, Kansas!

Are you from OP Kansas? :cool: How long have you been in Miami? I was a member of Redeemer PCA in Overland Park from 1993 until 1995. I moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1995 and entered Knox Seminary where I graduated. Wow, what a small world.

What are you talking about! I lived in Miami for 7 years. They have seasons down there. When it got below 70 I remember having to put on my winter coat! :lol:

Are you from OP Kansas? :cool: How long have you been in Miami? I was a member of Redeemer PCA in Overland Park from 1993 until 1995. I moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1995 and entered Knox Seminary where I graduated. Wow, what a small world.

I've been in Miami since 1999. My family moved from OP to Miami in the middle of my freshman year in high school. I didn't get interested in God until about 2004. The funny thing is, from 1999 to 2004 I lived in Miami, and in 2004 I left to go live on my own in OP so that I could experience the freedom to live how I wanted to live apart from my parents. I lived in an apartment complex close to Corporate Woods and worked at a Circuit City in Lenexa. Once I got saved six months into this "freedom experiment," I moved back down to Miami and I've been here ever since.

I'm currently taking a class with a guy who nearly graduated from Knox awhile back (10 hours short!). His name is John Rabe, in case you might know him.

I've been in Miami since 1999. My family moved from OP to Miami in the middle of my freshman year in high school. I didn't get interested in God until about 2004. The funny thing is, from 1999 to 2004 I lived in Miami, and in 2004 I left to go live on my own in OP so that I could experience the freedom to live how I wanted to live apart from my parents. I lived in an apartment complex close to Corporate Woods and worked at a Circuit City in Lenexa. Once I got saved six months into this "freedom experiment," I moved back down to Miami and I've been here ever since.

I'm currently taking a class with a guy who nearly graduated from Knox awhile back (10 hours short!). His name is John Rabe, in case you might know him.

Overland Park is a great community. I was born and raised in Kansas City and lived in Ft. Lauderdale for eleven years. I miss Kansas City.
Yes, I know John. He was in seminary with me and was working for Coral Ridge Ministries. I wondered what happened to him. If you think about it please say hello to him for me. I am sure he will remember me but it was about six years ago I last saw him. Who is the minister at Kendall now?

wow. we kinda hijacked the thread, huh?
anyway...back to OP:

yay for all the OP/KC peeps! yeah, i lived there my whole life until about 2.5 years ago. I would love to move back some day, but I don't see that ever happening.
I went to Redeemer PCA in OP for about a year. thats where we were married. I went to SMN HS and graduated 2002. ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back