Singing Soloist

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Miriam sang would the occasion have had more in common with a formal worship service or a youth bonfire at the beach? I'm curious as to why there's any question about it.

You have to remember that we have a new pattern for formal and gathered worship that is simple, spiritual and scriptural in the New Covenant era i.e. unaccompanied Psalm-singing.

This is appropriate to the more mature New Testament church that does not need soloists, musical intruments and other fancy accoutrements in order to worship God.

So simple, in fact, that it contains no elements to which anyone who accepts the Bible as an authority could reasonably object. The fact that we even have to debate solos is almost enough to establish that they are not commanded. Let's say we introduced a special solo into my church's service. All the other elements of our worship can be easily and quickly proven from Scripture as required and practiced by the Apostolic church(reading and preaching of Scripture, singing of psalms, prayer, the Lord's supper, etc.). So when someone asks us why this element has been introduced, what do I tell them? "The prophetess Miriam once after a miraculous event led a group of women to celebrate with dancing and tambourines and an inspired song she wrote; therefore we can have solos in NT worship (but not the dancing and tambourines; what are we, charismatic?)" I don't think it's a credible proof.

It seems, reading Leah's follow up post that what makes the situation much harder, and I gather the main reason why she has agreed to do this once more, is her parents' pressure and her desire to please them as much as possible. I am wondering if the advice (re: the non-helpfulness of agreeing to do something one more time, which in general I also agree with) is the same when the conflictedness arises more because her conscience is also very careful about honoring her parents; and she is having to work out the details of trying to keep a clear conscience in every respect in this added dynamic of the church situation?

It seems, reading Leah's follow up post that what makes the situation much harder, and I gather the main reason why she has agreed to do this once more, is her parents' pressure and her desire to please them as much as possible. I am wondering if the advice (re: the non-helpfulness of agreeing to do something one more time, which in general I also agree with) is the same when the conflictedness arises more because her conscience is also very careful about honoring her parents; and she is having to work out the details of trying to keep a clear conscience in every respect in this added dynamic of the church situation?

I guess the situation would be more complicated if her parents were to require or instruct her to sing a solo in church rather than simply encourage her. At that point she would need to get to the bottom of whether solos are permissible in church, because we should obey in all lawful commands. However, I have difficulty believing most parents would order their daughter to sing in church if she respectfully made it clear that she does not believe she could do it worshipfully and in good conscience.

When Miriam sang would the occasion have had more in common with a formal worship service or a youth bonfire at the beach? I'm curious as to why there's any question about it.

You have to remember that we have a new pattern for formal and gathered worship that is simple, spiritual and scriptural in the New Covenant era i.e. unaccompanied Psalm-singing.

This is appropriate to the more mature New Testament church that does not need soloists, musical intruments and other fancy accoutrements in order to worship God.

So simple, in fact, that it contains no elements to which anyone who accepts the Bible as an authority could reasonably object. The fact that we even have to debate solos is almost enough to establish that they are not commanded.
I'm not a proponent of solos in worship, but this line of reasoning is particularly bad. It is called the tyranny of the weaker brother. Worship is governed by the Bible, not by what the least common denominator of what someone thinks the Bible permits.

If the events of Exodus 15 weren't part of a formal worship service, then it cannot serve as a means to make your case about the propriety of a solo as part of a formal worship service.

Exactly. And if the incident was formal worship, then singing a solo is natural and good. Unless you lump singing solos along with animal sacrifices, then you'd have singing as a congregation non sacrificial and singing solo sacrificial.

So, again, I ask where in the passage you get any idea that this was a formal occasion of worship, rather than a simple example of a woman singing praise and thanksgiving for deliverance?

If you are taking this as justification of soloists, as some have pointed out, then it also seems you'd have to allow for liturgical dance as part of formal worship as well.

At any rate much of this discussion is beside the main point. The RPW does not derive from narrative descriptions of incidents like this one in Exodus 15, but from positive command.

Tim, I know you wouldn't want to imply Leah has an obligation to bless the congregation at the expense of her own conscience :-S

I thought I made that clear here:

my reading of her OP was that she wasn't totally settled in her mind and wanted input.

I'm not a proponent of solos in worship, but this line of reasoning is particularly bad. It is called the tyranny of the weaker brother. Worship is governed by the Bible, not by what the least common denominator of what someone thinks the Bible permits.

I will elaborate a little more, though I wouldn't have expected it to be necessary. My statement already contained appropriate qualifications which your response ignored ("accepts the authority of the Bible," "reasonably object"), but here it goes anyway. I agree worship is governed by the Bible. Here is what I had in mind:

If someone comes to your church with some strange RPW-based objection to, say, observing the Lord's Supper, what do you say? You show them approved examples of the Lord's supper being observed in corporate worship in Acts 20 and 1 Cor. 11. If they won't accept approved example, well...that's part of the RPW, so their problem is with the RPW and not with you.

If someone comes to your church with some strange RPW-based objection to singing in worship (I think some early particular baptists?), what do you say? You show them Eph. 5:19 and Col. 3:16. Easy enough.

If someone comes to your church with some strange RPW-based objection to reading the Word, or preaching and explaining the Word, in worship, what do you say? You show them 1 Tim. 4:13: "Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."

That's all I meant when I said that someone who accepts the authority of the Bible should not have a reasonable objection to the commanded elements, because all the elements listed in WCF 21 can, in my opinion, be established in a relatively straightforward manner from Scripture by direct precept, approved example, or necessary inference.

Last edited:
I had thought to post this before, but for some reason did not. I agree with the others that "one last time" very likely will not be one last time. More likely, it will have the opposite effect and will lead to more encouragement or pressure for such performances in the future. I appreciate Lane's suggestion, but my guess is that no one whatsoever in the church will appreciate Leah's concerns from a theological standpoint. (Hopefully at least someone would be able to appreciate her being conflicted.) The more likely response, absurd as it is, will be that she has gotten caught up in some kind of "religion," "hyper-Calvinism" etc.

Some of the others here may not be that familiar with the kind of church described in the OP. They have solos every week. Often the singers are put on kind of a rotation where they will sing once every 6 weeks or whatever, depending on the size of the church. Agreeing to sing will remind others of her gifts and will make it that much more difficult to decline in the future.

Honestly, I prefer worship led by a "worship leader" or team (in my opinion it can be done well, even including Psalm singing in some cases) to the schmaltzy practices often seen in so-called "old time" or "traditional" churches, where much time is crowded out of the worship services by solos and choir pieces. Such churches often have little place for congregational singing, which was one of the great recoveries of the Reformation. Also, typically, one or more of the songs is broken up by the welcome time in which everyone goes around shaking hands, etc. Apparently it never occurs to people that that can be done before or after the service!

Leah, I've been where you are, have many years on you, and have a similiar funadamentalist background. We can add to that--as a fundamentalist, I was educated and trained as a church musician. I didn't know anything else to do in church.

I began to ease myself out the fundamentalist world when I was about your age and found myself worshipping with the Plymouth Brethren on Sunday evenings and worshipping with my folks at the fundamentalist church on Sunday mornings. At this brethren church, we sang a capella and the women wore head coverings. I dropped out of the choir at the fundamentalist church, because they would not allow me to wear a headcovering. Later, I gave up playing the piano for church all together, because I felt it had become an idol to me. I wouldn't sing solos either.

Today, I am the director of music at a PCA church, and on a rare occasion, I sing a duet or solo, though usually I prefer to stay in the background. Sometimes, however, the text of a song speaks so strongly to me that I either sing it or ask someone else to do it, especially if it won't work as a piece of music for the congregation to sing.

Looking back, I don't think there was anything wrong with my singing in the choir without a headcovering, playing the piano for church or singing a solo, except that if I had, I would have violated my conscience. That would have been bad.

Today you see things one way, tomorrow, you may not seem that way, or you may see them the same as you do now. The point is, you must do what you believe is right and trust the Lord to take care of the rest. If you don't feel comfortable singing, don't sing.

Excellent post, JBaldwin. I used to sing solos quite often in my Baptist days. A couple of years after becoming Reformed in my thinking, I began to get very legalistic in my thinking (I am NOT saying that Leah has become that, I said I, ME, had become that) to the point where I would even pray over the paper clips that held my sermon notes together and once the sermon was preached would throw the clip away to make sure it was never used again for anything "unholy." I also quit singing for many years because I felt that I did not want to be a showman or want the people feeling that the service was about me since I was already preaching or teaching. A few years later I came to the realization that my viewpoint was no longer correct for me, again FOR ME. I began singing if someone would request me to.

I know this will rankle some feathers here but this is just my situation with my parish. I have a small parish and most of the members are elderly. For the first six years of our existence we had no pianist or organist. We still meet in loaned facilities. For a long time we used a device called "The Digital Hymnal" for music accompaniment. Finally, my assistant priest and I began to lead the singing with our guitars either acoustic or electric because the people preferred live music over canned music. We have a variety of music from the old Anglican hymns to contemporary praise and worship. I try to make sure that all the music we do is theologically accurate. Now why am I saying this?

I have an elderly lady in my parish who has talked to me about doing her funeral and has laid out for me how she wants the funeral to be done. She has requested that I do two of her favorite songs at the funeral. I thought about it for awhile and decided that since she will not be hearing them at her funeral, why not let her hear them now with everyone singing them. So, and yes, here goes, on two occasions I have done Precious Lord Take My Hand as a solo and as a parish we have sung Mansion Over the Hilltop. She was in tears. The Mansion over the Hilltop was done as an intro to a series of sermons I preached on Heaven, Where and When. You would have to know this lady to understand why I did this. I met her one day when as a police officer I delivered a death notice to her that her son had committed suicide. She lives with guilt every day about it. She is a Roman Catholic who by the grace of God started attending our parish shortly after her son died and has grown in her knowledge of Christ and salvation and the things of God. She is now regularly reading the Bible and participating in worship. She has been transformed by grace.

And yes, I could feel Dr. Robert Rayburn, my worship professor at Covenant, staring down from heaven giving me the what for!!! (To this day I cannot sing "The Old Rugged Cross" because of Dr. Rayburn. He used to tease me on Monday mornings and ask me if I had practiced idolatry the day before by singing to that old rugged piece of wood, ha ha ha. I was a Southern Baptist at the time.)

Since our parish only meets on Sunday morning sometimes we have to make exceptions in our worship, hopefully not often. The whole point of all this is that like you, what worked for me at one time, no longer works. And my people know that we are not there to feel good, or see what we can get out of the service. They know that we are to worship God, praise and glorify the Most Holy and Blessed Trinity, and to exalt the Most Holy Name of the Lamb, Jesus, who was slain for our sins. But I also take my responsibility as a shepherd seriously and not only is it my responsibility to teach people how to worship, but also to care for them, feed them, and when they are hurting to minister God's grace in a way that their heart is touched so that they will know that Christ loves them and has not forsaken them.

Leah, stick with your conscience and let it be molded and transformed by the work of the Holy Spirit and not by the commandments and traditions of men (Romans 14, Colossians 2).

Sorry to pontificate Brothers and Sisters.

I will elaborate a little more, though I wouldn't have expected it to be necessary. My statement already contained appropriate qualifications which your response ignored ("accepts the authority of the Bible," "reasonably object"), but here it goes anyway. I agree worship is governed by the Bible. Here is what I had in mind:

If someone comes to your church with some strange RPW-based objection to, say, observing the Lord's Supper, what do you say? You show them approved examples of the Lord's supper being observed in corporate worship in Acts 20 and 1 Cor. 11. If they won't accept approved example, well...that's part of the RPW, so their problem is with the RPW and not with you.

If someone comes to your church with some strange RPW-based objection to singing in worship (I think some early particular baptists?), what do you say? You show them Eph. 5:19 and Col. 3:16. Easy enough.

If someone comes to your church with some strange RPW-based objection to reading the Word, or preaching and explaining the Word, in worship, what do you say? You show them 1 Tim. 4:13: "Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."

That's all I meant when I said that someone who accepts the authority of the Bible should not have a reasonable objection to the commanded elements, because all the elements listed in WCF 21 can, in my opinion, be established in a relatively straightforward manner from Scripture by direct precept, approved example, or necessary inference.
Austin,

That is not the limits of your argument. What is someone objects to having two Scripture readings (OT/NT) and suggests that it should be only one? Must we bow to him? What if someone objects to a corporate confession of sin? What if someone - one of a 1000 people - objects to musical accompaniment? Must we bow to him? If that same man is the only one who insists on Psalms only? Must we bow to him - not because we are convinced of the Biblical nature of his arguments, but simply because it causes less debate? Do you honestly think in that case there will be less rancor and division in the Church?

Austin,

That is not the limits of your argument. What is someone objects to having two Scripture readings (OT/NT) and suggests that it should be only one? Must we bow to him? What if someone objects to a corporate confession of sin? What if someone - one of a 1000 people - objects to musical accompaniment? Must we bow to him? If that same man is the only one who insists on Psalms only? Must we bow to him - not because we are convinced of the Biblical nature of his arguments, but simply because it causes less debate? Do you honestly think in that case there will be less rancor and division in the Church?

Rev. Greco,

Fair enough. I admit I only meant for my point to apply to the basic list of elements, not to all the aspects of them. To answer your questions: how many Scripture readings is circumstantial. The other issues I agree should be decided by Biblical arguments and not by whatever causes the least debate. I'll be more clear in future.

You're a good man, Austin.

As a related point, I keep seeing those of us who are united by the WCF and it's sisters and isotopes either trying to make the confession less strict than it is or trying to make it more strict than it is. And it's a whole host of issues, from head coverings to musical instruments to Bible versions and a bunch of stuff in between. In our current cultural context, if for no other reasons than strategic, I wonder if we should be even more aggressive and passionate in keeping it the way it is rather than loosening or tightening it.

Nice posts Leeanne and Mark and FG.

Leah, the upshot of all of this seems to be, basically, that this is your decision. When you've decided on a course of action (to sing or not to sing) people can give you advice on how to pursue your chosen course so as to avoid causing offense. The short version is that should you decide not to sing, the next time you are asked by someone who can make it happen you can simply express that you are reluctant to because you feel it places you in spiritual peril - and let them draw their own conclusions. What that is, really doesn't matter.

And that is not untrue: going against your conscience puts you in peril. Even if it could be shown from Scripture (which would be quite a feat!) that solo performances of music are acceptable, the abuses rampant within the churches in this connection might well lead you to exclude yourself from that scene; and that is without even getting into the point that establishing that a solo musical performance is acceptable still doesn't address the question of who may legitimately deliver one.

I hope the popularity of your thread has not led to confusion. Remember that whatever wiggle room you may have to accommodate people and their requests outside of worship, when it comes to formal worship the only consideration should be what God has required of our hand.

As a related point, I keep seeing those of us who are united by the WCF and it's sisters and isotopes either trying to make the confession less strict than it is or trying to make it more strict than it is. And it's a whole host of issues, from head coverings to musical instruments to Bible versions and a bunch of stuff in between. In our current cultural context, if for no other reasons than strategic, I wonder if we should be even more aggressive and passionate in keeping it the way it is rather than loosening or tightening it.

Nice posts Leeanne and Mark and FG.

I definitely don't think it's time to add new things. It is supposed to be a uniting document and Presbyterians need that now more than ever. I like it as it stands.

I hold to some of these "strict views," but I don't think I am divisive about them. I recently transfered membership because after a lot of thought and prayer, I decided (with my pastor's approval) that it would be more edifying to both churches to transfer to the one that holds the same convictions I do. He thought I handled it well, and we are on good terms. But what would I have done if there had been no such other church available? I would have stayed at COTC and not been difficult. I was against instruments over a year before I was EP (I think that's rare), but I never complained about them (I was a church musician for several years before that, by the way). I didn't try to make my church bend to my will. I told my pastor once that I disagreed with women reading Scripture to the congregation and explained why, and when we couldn't come to an agreement, I dropped it and never brought it up again. Likewise for a few other things. Neither of those is one of the main reasons why I transferred (it was primarily because I couldn't sing there), but they help illustrate that once it was clear my pastor and I were not going to reach agreement on something, I did not badger him about it further.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Thanks. So are you. :)

Also, thanks Ruben for summing it all up so nicely.

Last edited:
Leah, the upshot of all of this seems to be, basically, that this is your decision. When you've decided on a course of action (to sing or not to sing) people can give you advice on how to pursue your chosen course so as to avoid causing offense. The short version is that should you decide not to sing, the next time you are asked by someone who can make it happen you can simply express that you are reluctant to because you feel it places you in spiritual peril - and let them draw their own conclusions. What that is, really doesn't matter.

And that is not untrue: going against your conscience puts you in peril. Even if it could be shown from Scripture (which would be quite a feat!) that solo performances of music are acceptable, the abuses rampant within the churches in this connection might well lead you to exclude yourself from that scene; and that is without even getting into the point that establishing that a solo musical performance is acceptable still doesn't address the question of who may legitimately deliver one.

I hope the popularity of your thread has not led to confusion. Remember that whatever wiggle room you may have to accommodate people and their requests outside of worship, when it comes to formal worship the only consideration should be what God has required of our hand.

Thanks Ruben.

I think my biggest thing is I err on the side of caution on so many things. I want to please my parents, those older than me in the church... but not at the cost of my own conscience and especially what scripture is clear about. I have been teased and mocked about a lot of shifts in my life, thinking, and Christian beliefs... people accusing me of things that deeply hurt me. I don't really have much support or constructive encouragement. Because of that, I tread lightly on so many things because I want to be honoring to the Lord above all, but it seems most people around me don't understand that realistically (meaning, they try to bind my conscience by telling me how silly, legalistic, or dumb I am).

I know a lot of things I am struggling to understand and learning will only be solidified as the Lord reveals more of His truth to me. But right now, I don't have a desire to sing in front of anyone at church on the Lord's day... and more than that I still don't think I can in good conscience (for it would be to please men, not the Lord). This situation has been on hold because I was out of town one weekend, and missed morning worship at my parents church the next. But, I know it will be pressed either tomorrow or the following weeks.

For now, though there is "wiggle room" and I could sing, I don't wish to. I don't have anyone in my family sympathetic to this, nor in my church... so I'm open to advice about the best way to approach this without causing offense, as you said. :)

Also, I have appreciated all the responses and dialogues that have been going on.

It show great quality on your part that you're so protective of her.
Yes, thank you Austin :eek:

All right, people, thread shift. How can Leah get out of insistent requests to sing a solo without giving any needless aggravation or appearing to rebuke others?

With the music director, perhaps you could tell him that you're not comfortable being asked - that should get the pressure off you not just for one occasion but for the indefinite future. If you let your discomfort show while he's talking to you about it, that will have a tendency to cut off follow-up questions. And if you hash it out with him ahead of time, you might not even have to bring it up with your parents - and I certainly wouldn't bring it up unless they do.

The other alternative is to be very cheerful and let out some frightful squawks when the question comes up, and skip out while people are laughing so nothing is ever settled. But perhaps I reveal too much of my own methods. Distract and run does work, though, and distracting with humor means that the next meeting isn't especially awkward.

She should eat garlic and sing right in front of those people pressuring her in rehearsal.

When I was struggling with all these things I simply told people the truth. I don't want to sing because....

Just an aside here, but I don't think there is anything wrong with very kindly telling people where you are in your walk with the Lord, and telling them how you feel. I remember several years ago, I asked a very talented young man to play the keyboard with the worship team, and he told me point blank, and very kindly, too, that he was working through his views on worshipping without instruments and until he came to a conclusion on the matter, he felt it was best for his conscience sake to not play. I really appreciated that.

At our church sometimes a few (2-4) people will sing a theologically sound song that is not so suited to congregational singing. Everyone can hear the words and sing along in their head, as it were. We haven't had one person sing, which is really because any one person would feel similar to you and there is always someone else who can sing with them, so it's not an issue. (Although sometimes one person may sing a verse before we all sing, if it is an unfamiliar tune.) I can totally understand your reluctance to sing solo, or in a way which implies a performance. If you could choose the song, and make it one with lots of theological reformed content, then I could see the benefit of that, and would kind of like you to do so. You should not be making yourself the centre of attention...but nor are you responsible for what others centre their attention on. If solos are common in your church, and you sing a song in which the focus is on a sound message and it's musically easy for people to hear the message rather than focus on the voice, then that would seem good enough to me. Although I still understand the wish to not feel that somebody is focusing on you. And you wouldn't want to sing something that the pastor disagreed with.

ETA: you all posted whilst I was slowly pecking away at my keyboard ;)

I concur, Leah, with the above post. Be honest without going into a lot of detail. Simply tell folks that you are not comfortable doing so right now but tell them you appreciate their asking.

By the way, don't worry about working and thinking through things and changing. I am 58 and can't say how many changes I have made in my theological positions since that night in 1978 when I read Romans 9, 10, and 11 and the light suddenly came on!! It's all part of maturing in Christ and His Word. One day when you are 40 or 50, you will read a passage of Scripture and say to yourself, "Wow, so that's what that means! And to think I have read this a hundred times before! Thank you Holy Spirit."

Simply tell folks that you are not comfortable doing so right now but tell them you appreciate their asking.

Short and sweet. This is what I suggest too, though really if you choose any of the above suggestions and handle it with patience and charity, you should be fine. I just would hate for you to be put on the spot having to defend exhaustively something you aren't 100% sure about, so I'll second Rev. Camp's suggestion.

The other alternative is to be very cheerful and let out some frightful squawks when the question comes up, and skip out while people are laughing so nothing is ever settled. But perhaps I reveal too much of my own methods.
hahaha - here in Scotland my day has just been brightened, as I try to picture Ruben applying that strategy :D
I thought for a moment you were recommending frightful squawks be let out during the actual solo. There might be other reasons against that, but I bet it would be effective

Oh my. After church today, do you know how many people asked me when I am singing next? Every single person I talked to except one (who is a visitor) AND the music pastor. A few things said to me were...

One lady told me the next time I get up and sing on stage it is going to be more womanly and more graceful than ever before... and that she really really wants to hear me sing again, to which I smiled and said, I just need to come and sing with you at your house!-she laughed at me and started talking to someone else.

Another said, Oh I want you to sing In Christ Alone!! and when I said well... I don't know... he said please don't make me beg!-then turned to his 3 year old son and said, tell Leah please please please!

Then one couple started telling everyone I was singing next week!-and I said who said that? They said, we are! We want you to sing next week!

And the music director said, well are you singing next week? I felt completely put on the spot...And I got really quiet and said, well I did want to talk to you. (I really had no idea what I was going to say to him) And he said in private? And I hesitated and said no, it's not that big of a deal. As the Lord reveals more truth to me.. I wrestle through different things, in prayer- not in a bad way by any means for God is most gracious to me, however, I cannot make any sort of commitment to sing right now. He gets very serious and concerned and says, Leah, God has given you talent and He will give that talent away to someone else if you don't use it. He will! I Just hope you will realize that before that happens. You need to use the gifts God has given you. If you do not use that talent, it will be taken away from you. I'll be praying for you.

Sigh. -_- I should have expected a plethora of people bombarding me this morning. I'm not sure my answer satisfied the music director, because now he thinks I'm just sinning.

Last edited:
That's a tough situation.. :/ :hug:

I will be praying for you. I kindof know how hard it can be.. My mom came to me last week and wants me to sing "Jesus Take the Wheel" next Sunday during service.. She told me she actually based the music during the service around that song. o_O I suppose it was God's Providence that I can't find that cd, but found "If you Want me to" by Ginny Owens instead. I don't get begged to sing, though.

God will do a great work through you. As long as you know where you stand and don't waver in your faith, God will have his mighty and perfect will done. :)

Leah: Its just the old "motivate people by using guilt trick." It's like telling people that if they do not tithe God will burn their house down or God will cause something else terrible to happen to them. You are in a tough spot. Just tell everyone you have a very contagious disease that is only spread by singing and out of your deep love for them you do not wish to infect them. (I am just kidding)

God gives many gifts, but that doesn't mean that each is meant for use in the public worship of God. Your music minister is attempting to burden you with a completely unbiblical command. Please do not be pressured into violating your conscience.

You are to be commended for earnestly seeking God's will for His worship instead of assuming that you know what is best. I hope that you find the following story to be an encouragement:

Imagine a hillbilly war hero, a man who led his troops victoriously in battle, who is going to be honored by his men after their return from war. His fellow officers, however, are from Evanston, Illinois; Berkeley, California; and Short Hills, New Jersey; and they don’t exactly understand their leader’s tastes. As they prepare a great banquet in his honor, they think of how he enjoys listening to music, and eating, and drinking. So, they have the best chamber orchestra, caviar, and champagne that money can buy, all prepared for him and his wife whom they have flown in from Kentucky. What’s wrong with this? Well, yes, he enjoys music, but he’d much prefer stomping his feet to the sounds of a banjo, a guitar, and a fiddle. Yes, he enjoys eating, but what’s this stuff called caviar? It’s black-eyed peas, grits, cornbread, and venison or squirrel meat which are his pleasure. Yes, he enjoys drinking, but champagne? His specialty is “Mountain Dew” (and we don’t, of course, mean the product from Pepsi-Cola). The obvious point is that, if they had really wanted to honor their hero, they would have found out about those things which pleased him and provided those for him, rather than trying to please him their own way. Similarly, if we truly want to please the Mighty Warrior who has effected our salvation, we will find out which things delight Him, and perform those things for Him.

(from Worship in the Presence of God)

I'm encouraged, Leah: it sounds like you were given grace to be kind to everyone and yet not say yes - both things we were hoping for. By the music director's logic, it would seem that a carpenter not busied about making church pews will lose his carpentry practice, a plumber not installing sprinkler systems for the church will find himself unable to use a socket wrench, and a hang-glider who doesn't print verses on his glider will inevitably crash. You don't need to be callous to realize that opinions unsubstantiated from the word of God have little claim to our regard, though the holder of the opinion is of course entitled to honor according to his calling and station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back