Single-elder v. plural-elder congregationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in more links too. I've been involved in single elder ministries (expect for three years one time) and am about to move into a mulitple situation soon.
 
I am not sure if you can find it online but the best work on this subject with regards to independancy is "In Defense of Parity: A Presentation of the Parity or Equality of Elders in the New Testament", by Samuel E. Waldron, Gregory G. Nichols, David J. Chanski, 138 pages, for cost of shipping only.


It looks like you can go to www.girbc.org and get a free copy with only the cost of shipping only.......
 
I'd be interested in more links too. I've been involved in single elder ministries (expect for three years one time) and am about to move into a mulitple situation soon.

Why is this Ivan? I am very fortunate to have one co-elder. I have a friend who is a pastor of a BMAA church who has also been a lone ranger for many years. TO what do you attribute this problem.

PS I am praying that the Lord of the Harvest will send you laborers Ivan.
 
I'd be interested in more links too. I've been involved in single elder ministries (expect for three years one time) and am about to move into a mulitple situation soon.

Why is this Ivan?

I'm bivocational and I live a good distance from the church. I hope to change the distance problem soon. We have a young man (32 years old) who we are going to ordained in October He will then assume more responsibilty. I will be the primary preaching elder and this young man will be over education and music, yet performing pastoral duties.

I have a friend who is a pastor of a BMAA church who has also been a lone ranger for many years. TO what do you attribute this problem.

I believe it is due to tradition. The famous last words of the church..."We've never done it that way before." I'm afraid most SBC churches have one elder/pastor.

PS I am praying that the Lord of the Harvest will send you laborers Ivan.

He is sending laborers! But keep praying. We have a growing harvest here in Poplar Grove. We hope to have our own building by next summer.
 
I offer this as a help in understanding the modern single elder POV. (This is not my POV)

Chuck Smith from "Calvary Distinctives"

We (Calvary Chapel) believe that God's model is the the pastor is ruled by the Lord and aided by the Elders to discover the mind and will of Jesus Christ for His church. This in turn is implemented by the Assistant Pastors.

Smith teaches that the church should be structured like a theocracy with the pastor being like Moses and then setting up elders to help with judgment like God commanded Moses to do in Exo 18.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top