So many members...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Puritan Board Sophomore
At this time of writing, there are almost 6000 registered members on the PB. But many of the members aren't active at all. Often times I find that a member was "last seen Dec 2, 2009". Is there no way in getting an active member list. Or deleting/suspending membership if no activity in 2 years, for example.
Having a screening process (subscribing to catechisms, etc) to make sure that new members are reformed, is commendable. However - my doctrinal views have changed A LOT, even in the past 5 years. What's to say that these people who signed up and left are still remotely reformed or even Christian?
 
I agree, I mean I just reapplied to the board after 7 or 8 or 9 years of non-activity. A lot did change for me, like email addresses, passwords, actual real life demands. I mean one needs to get their priorities in order, and contribute their thoughts for all the active members to read! Now, that I really consider the gravity of such apostasy, I ought to have been forever consigned to purgatory or even worse I suppose. But the graciousness of Mr. Religion has restored me to active status with absolutely no threats of penance for my wanton negligence! Blessed are the merciful!
 
Many people who are, or were active members, have lives that do not predicate membership here to identify as being a Christian. :)
 
I find this thread kinda funny in a way originating from a fellow Baptist. I know it's not the intent and I certainly write this with humor in mind, but the logic in suggesting the moderators cull the "membership roster" sounds quite similar to the way we Baptists handle membership in the church! Lol. The PB is just an internet discussion board. ;)
 
Is there no way in getting an active member list. Or deleting/suspending membership if no activity in 2 years, for example.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but what is the purpose of this? I make infrequent posts and I would be mortified to come back after a two-year hiatus only to find that I have been, gulp, suspended.
 
At this time of writing, there are almost 6000 registered members on the PB. But many of the members aren't active at all. Often times I find that a member was "last seen Dec 2, 2009". Is there no way in getting an active member list. Or deleting/suspending membership if no activity in 2 years, for example.
Having a screening process (subscribing to catechisms, etc) to make sure that new members are reformed, is commendable. However - my doctrinal views have changed A LOT, even in the past 5 years. What's to say that these people who signed up and left are still remotely reformed or even Christian?

Who's to say that they are not? I've gone on long stretches (maybe not long enough according to some) of inactivity here. It is best to discern the beliefs the old members based on what they post upon return and not what they may post if they return.
 
At this time of writing, there are almost 6000 registered members on the PB. But many of the members aren't active at all. Often times I find that a member was "last seen Dec 2, 2009". Is there no way in getting an active member list. Or deleting/suspending membership if no activity in 2 years, for example.
Having a screening process (subscribing to catechisms, etc) to make sure that new members are reformed, is commendable. However - my doctrinal views have changed A LOT, even in the past 5 years. What's to say that these people who signed up and left are still remotely reformed or even Christian?
I personally see no purpose in reducing the membership. Perhaps I say that because I for various reasons take long periods of breaks where, even if I read, I do not log into the board. If I have nothing to contribute, I stay silent. Much of what can be learned can be learned in silence.
 
At this time of writing, there are almost 6000 registered members on the PB. But many of the members aren't active at all. Often times I find that a member was "last seen Dec 2, 2009". Is there no way in getting an active member list. Or deleting/suspending membership if no activity in 2 years, for example.
Having a screening process (subscribing to catechisms, etc) to make sure that new members are reformed, is commendable. However - my doctrinal views have changed A LOT, even in the past 5 years. What's to say that these people who signed up and left are still remotely reformed or even Christian?
Getting an active member list is likely possible, but would have to be something done behind the usual tools available to an admin. I would have to perl script the database, if possible, to set up searches looking for members who have posted over some period of time. Not a lot of fun in doing that work.

And to what end? I do not think removing inactive members would serve any positive purpose. As indicated above, it may come as a rude shock to some to be summarily removed.

We do have a means of emailing all registered users, but that usually startles and annoys not a few. I have done so in the past at another site I administer. It results in a momentary uptick of returning visitors, but the usual cadence of the site soon returns.

On the subject of usual cadence, some PB stats follow.

Rounded counts of registered members who have visited the site, not necessarily actually posting:
2014: 560
2015: 540
2016: 520
2017: 620
2018 ytd: 480

As you can see the numbers compared to actual members is quite low. Some folks just prefer to lurk and read, versus post. Some may have just moved on or have developed other interests. I actually lurked on this site for three months or so before I even applied to become a member to avoid making a fool of myself right out of the gate. Some of you folks scared the wits out of me. ;)

Confessional stances:
1,620 claim LBCF
3,040 claim WCF
460 claim 3FU
220 claim "Other"

I could get more here, but the above are readily available options; others would require me to guess about exact words used to describe confessional views.

Dnominations:

1,060 PCA
1,060 Baptist
580 Presbyterian
340 OPC
60 Independent Baptist
32 Anglican

Same here as above. Guessing the exact wording of denominations is too task oriented.

Church Office Holding Members:

920 Pastor/Teaching Elder
300 Ruling Elder
260 Deacon
 
Side note: I couldn't be more happier to have found this board. I know I don't write much, but I do observe and listen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top