Sophos On Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Koster

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Is anyone here on PB running Sophos anti-virus on their Mac? Is it good, mediocre or a system slow down device?
 
Yes I have it on a 2008 Macbook and a 2011 Mac Mini - don't think it slows them at all. Have had no problems with it.
 
I don't think you need anti-virus, certainly not a paid one. I've just occasionally used free Anti-Virus software from the App store to check my Mac and it never detects anything.
 
Did you guys download the Java update for Macs that came out today? It removes any Flashback trojans that may have gotten into your machines (and Flashback can slow the machine down when it is doing the zombie thing).

P.S. The days of Macs not needing antivirus / anti-malware are over, I'm sorry to say.
 
Thanks Steve, I updated in the middle of the week after, I'll check again.

I've never had a virus on my machines, but it did pick one up (windows variety) on a memory stick. I didn't use anything for years, but I share files frequently and don't want to pass stuff on to my friends. I used Clamxav for a while but it did start to slow things down.

I think trojans and viruses will become more prevalent on Mac in the next few years, though because of the UNIX underpinnings I don't think they'll be as problematic as on Windows.
 
Thanks Steve, I updated in the middle of the week after, I'll check again.

I've never had a virus on my machines, but it did pick one up (windows variety) on a memory stick. I didn't use anything for years, but I share files frequently and don't want to pass stuff on to my friends. I used Clamxav for a while but it did start to slow things down.

I think trojans and viruses will become more prevalent on Mac in the next few years, though because of the UNIX underpinnings I don't think they'll be as problematic as on Windows.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top