Spelling Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
If a person is week at spelling as an adult, what resources would you recommend they try that would give them the tools they'd need to improve their spelling skills?
 
If a person is week at spelling


:lol:

I'd suggest crossword puzzles. Of course, one could end up spelling both words, across and down, wrong, but if you do know one of them, you'll get real time feedback on proper spelling of the other.

And remember, standardized spelling is a rather recent development. ""It's a ++++ poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." - Andrew Jackson.

Going over these may help as well

Absolutely Ridiculous English Spelling-Lesson 1
 
There might be some profit in playing word games.
I'm thinking of one game that appears in many newspapers, where some word is given and you're supposed to see how many other words you can create from the available letters of the provided word.

That sort of exercise, especially if you then pay attention to the answers provided the next day and look up the meaning of the words you didn't find, would pay dividends for both vocabulary and spelling.

Today's word, by the way, is, not unexpectedly, YULETIDE. Defined as "The Christmas Season". Average mark, 25 words with a time limit of 40 minutes. Can you find 37 or more words using the letters in YULETIDE? The list will be published tomorrow.

TIDE
TILE
TIDY
and so on...
 
Yeah, good that you give attention to this.

EDIT: And for the sake of humility, I just noticed a misspelling in one of the questions on the poll that I posted earlier this morning.

If it wasn't intended as humorous emphasis, I'll apologize. I took it that way.
I had a theory that I just had to prove to myself, that generally PBers are good spellers - so I threw that in. Thank-you for validating my theory.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I don't have any specific resources, but I did use my masterfully impressive Google skills and came up with this:

10 Tips for Improving Your Spelling
Thanks for using your masterfully impressive Google skills on my behalf.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Going over these may help as well

Absolutely Ridiculous English Spelling-Lesson 1
That page sure does a good job highlighting inconsistencies. This may be the kind of resource I'm looking for - the next page that this page links to starts with "Lesson 2. Clues for Spelling Ridiculous Words"

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Kim, that was an interesting/entertaining video - thanks.
 
Reading is a good way to improve your spelling. In high school we were encouraged to read a quality daily newspaper for several reasons, but it certainly helps with improving spelling. Also read good books. And proof read everything you write. Don't just rely on spellchecker.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top