Teaching in a Public School

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, I was struck rather harshly by the post in the Family Forum about Christian Education and Church Discipline. I would think that if parents were to be held to the fire for sending their children to public school, then surely the teachers should be incriminated too.
I do have strong opinions about this and since I am honestly curious as to what others think about it and what you think scripture teaches, I will hold my tongue in order to receive the wisdom of others.
My question is:
Is it better to obey authority and follow the rules about what I can and cannot say regarding religion?
Or should I disobey the authority and teach as some would call it, "the Christian world view?"

Jobs in today's corporate environment (especially) in which one can teach the Christian world view are few and far between. To be consistent, those who would forbid Christian's from teaching in "Molech's schools" should forbid any secular employment whatsoever where one would be forbidden to preach the gospel freely and openly. :2cents:
 
In answer to this question, I think Greg Bahnsen sheds some Biblical light on this subject in this lecture.

http://www.cmfnow.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2304

There is a great quote in this lecture as to whether a Christian should be a teacher in a public school and I will post the quote as soon as I get the time.

Anyone interested in this subject really should listen to this lecture, he answers most of the controversial questions surrounding this subject with such clear Biblical reasoning that it is hard to disagree with him.
 
Jobs in today's corporate environment (especially) in which one can teach the Christian world view are few and far between. To be consistent, those who would forbid Christian's from teaching in "Molech's schools" should forbid any secular employment whatsoever where one would be forbidden to preach the gospel freely and openly. :2cents:

And we also need to ask if teaching Christian worldview always equals "thus saith the Lord?" Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Does it mean showing Christian underpinnings in each subject, or how the bible relates to all of life? It might, but if it does then I know quite a few seminary professors who can't even do that.

Whatever it means, it is far beyond a clear-cut yes or no.
 
Jobs in today's corporate environment (especially) in which one can teach the Christian world view are few and far between. To be consistent, those who would forbid Christian's from teaching in "Molech's schools" should forbid any secular employment whatsoever where one would be forbidden to preach the gospel freely and openly. :2cents:

Chris, I disagree, there is a distinction in working in a teaching position, where by definition you are giving instructions and a position where you are expected to do some task like making widgets. If by law, you cannot teach a subject as a Christian ought to, you would be disloyal to God if you obeyed the law, and disloyal to your employer if disobeyed that law. Either way you would not be giving a good Christian witness. So there is a difference based on the job description.

I would like to elaborate more, when time permits.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top