Thank-you, Veterans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I was listening to VP Cheney's Veteran's Day speech at Arlington Cemetery, and was reminded how thankful I am for all those veterans, past, present, and future, who served our country in the armed forces, many of whom lost their lives to fight for the freedoms I enjoy so much. To all veterans, thank-you.

As a homework assignment, my son had to interview a veteran and ask them some questions about their service to our country. The first person that came to mind was my brother-in-law, so we gave him a call. He had served in the Army during the Vietnam War, and it was neat to hear his answers to the questions. He was more than happy to help my son with his homework assignment.

I thought I'd ask some of the questions to those on the PB who have served or are serving our country in the military:

1. When did you serve?
2. Where did you serve?
3. What branch of the armed services?
4. What rank were you?
5. What was your primary task?
6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?

Thank-you PB veterans,

Bob
 
1. When did you serve?
1965-68
2. Where did you serve?
Fort Riley, Kansas 65-66; Viet Nam 67; Fort Dix, New Jersey 68; Gelnhausen, Germany 68
3. What branch of the armed services?
U.S. Army
4. What rank were you?
Sp/5 E-5
5. What was your primary task?
Medical Corpsman
6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?
A time for honoring the men and women who serve(d) in the U.S. Armed Forces.
 
1. When did you serve?
May, 1990 - Present

2. Where did you serve?
Quantico, VA
Camp Lejeune, NC
Camp Pendleton, CA
Okinawa, Japan

3. What branch of the armed services?
USMC

4. What rank were you?
LtCol

5. What was your primary task?
Communications and Information Systems

6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?
Well, it's certainly great to have the day off.

Primarily, it is good to remember those who are serving far away and suffering the loss of friends and family in a dangerous place. I also had the opportunity to teach on Romans 13 yesterday. Insofar as they are true to their calling, I believe military men are God's ministers for good in many cases and I'm thankful to God for the self-sacrifice that many endure to that end.
 
Amen on the thank you to those who have served honorably.

I never served because I fell in the crack between wars.
I was in my second year of college when Viet Nam ended.

However, My dad fought in Korea. I have a little brother that is a Marine. Another little brother that is a Colonel in the Army and a son I love with all my heart who is in the infantry in the US Army. Currently he is stationed in Ft. Irwin California being trained in desert warfare. Only God knows what the future holds for him?

For those of you who have served and/or serve now
my prayer every night is one of thanks, and for your protection and last but not least that
you will have leaders and a population that is worthy of your sacrifice as you carry out the
duties in Romans 13.
 
1. When did you serve?

For 5 years...4 years active plus 1 more voluntarily after 9/11)

2. Where did you serve?
Mostly at Fort lost in the woods. In the Midwest. I loved it, 18,000 square acres of woods that non-military could not enter without permission...deer galore..just watch out for the rifle ranges)



3. What branch were you?
Army

4. What rank were you?
Was an officer

5. What was your primary task?
Psychiatric counseling. Ha, I worked on a psych ward. Sort of like a civilain job. Work was really crazy. I had a television thrown at me!

6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?

Truthfully I forgot all about it until I read this post.

All my relatives served: My great-great-grandfather fought in the Union cavalry, my grandfather fought in the Pacific, my dad was an Air Force MP and Presidential Honor Guard...me...well....I just talked to cross dressers in the desert for a few months before my unit was re-assigned and sent Stateside.

I am patriotic. When in the States, I've been the only one standing before for the national anthem at a public event (hand over heart, all that).

I agreed to protect the constituion with my life. I almost got caught in the forced retention (I forget what they call it..where they disallow you from leaving service until a crisis is past, even if you have finished your contract) and this made me mad. But I am happy I served.
 
Last edited:
I agreed to protect the constituion with my life. I almost got caught in the forced retention (I forget what they call it..where they disallow you from leaving service until a crisis is past, even if you have finished your contract) and this made me mad that the gov't couldn't keep their end of my contract. But I am happy I served.

It's called Stop Loss. Technically, however, you served at the pleasure of the President. The "fine print" of any commission or enlistment is that the contract includes this provision in time of war so it's not technically a breach on the part of the government.
 
1976-1980

Bergstrom AFB Austin TX.
Osan AFB South Korea
Tinker AFB Oklahoma City, OK.

USAF

Staff Sergeant

Computer Maintenance on Mobile Air Traffic Control system and AWACS aircraft.

It’s a time to remember those who have served and those that are serving now. Many sacrifices great and small are made by our Military personnel, including the sacrifices made by their wives and children.
 
I was listening to VP Cheney's Veteran's Day speech at Arlington Cemetery, and was reminded how thankful I am for all those veterans, past, present, and future, who served our country in the armed forces, many of whom lost their lives to fight for the freedoms I enjoy so much. To all veterans, thank-you.

As a homework assignment, my son had to interview a veteran and ask them some questions about their service to our country. The first person that came to mind was my brother-in-law, so we gave him a call. He had served in the Army during the Vietnam War, and it was neat to hear his answers to the questions. He was more than happy to help my son with his homework assignment.

I thought I'd ask some of the questions to those on the PB who have served or are serving our country in the military:

1. When did you serve?
2. Where did you serve?
3. What branch of the armed services?
4. What rank were you?
5. What was your primary task?
6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?

Thank-you PB veterans,

Bob

1. 1977-1984
2 USAF
3.SSGT.
4. Aircraft weapons
6. Day to remember. I'm one of many in a long line of my family who served the Confederacy first, and then the empire after that.
 
I agreed to protect the constituion with my life. I almost got caught in the forced retention (I forget what they call it..where they disallow you from leaving service until a crisis is past, even if you have finished your contract) and this made me mad that the gov't couldn't keep their end of my contract. But I am happy I served.

It's called Stop Loss. Technically, however, you served at the pleasure of the President. The "fine print" of any commission or enlistment is that the contract includes this provision in time of war so it's not technically a breach on the part of the government.


Yep, a Stop Loss. I didn't like that much.

Gotta read all that fine print!;)

I deleted that part about the govt' not keeping their part of the contract. They did, even if I didn't like it much. No use for me to slander them, they get enough flak as it is despite being Number 1 in my books and truthfully one of the best in the world as far as lack of oppression, poverty and open theft and corruption.

I hate syrupy patriotic propaganda and don't believe in "My country, right or wrong.." but I do love the USA.
 
1. When did you serve?
1979-1983
2. Where did you serve?
R.A.F. Chicksands, England & Offut A.F.B. Omaha, Nebraska
3. What branch of the armed services?
Air Force
4. What rank were you?
E-4 Sgt.
5. What was your primary task?
SIGINT (Signals Intelligence)
6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?
An opportunity to thank and appreciate those who served before me, with me and who are currently serving in defense of freedom and liberty.
 
Thanks for your responses and for your service to our country!

I just came back from getting some coffee here at work. They had a little area down in the cafe set aside to commemorate Veterans Day. I was curious about the little table they had set up there, so I stopped to read about it. I had never heard of it before, thought it was pretty neat, thought I'd share it (in case there are others like myself for whom its new).
POWMIATable2.JPG

We call your attention to this small table.

It is set for one, symbolizing the fact that members of our military are missing from our ranks. They are referred to as POW’s and MIA’s.We call them comrades. They are unable to be with their loved ones and families tonight, so we join together to pay our humble tribute to them, and bear witness to their continued absence.

This table, set for one, is small, symbolizing the frailty of one prisoner, alone against his or her suppressors.

The tablecloth is white, symbolic of the purity of their intentions to respond to their country’s call to arms.

The single red rose in the vase, signifies the blood they many have shed in sacrifice to ensure the freedom of our beloved United States of America. This rose also reminds us of the family and friends of our missing comrades who keep the faith, while awaiting their return.

The yellow ribbon on the vase represents the yellow ribbons worn on the lapels of the thousands who demand with unyielding determination a proper accounting of our comrades who are not among us tonight.

A slice of lemon on the plate reminds us of their bitter fate.

The salt sprinkled on the plate reminds us of the countless fallen tears of families as they wait.

The glass is inverted - they cannot toast with us this night.

The chair is empty - they are not here.

The candle is reminiscent of the light of hope which lives in our hearts to illuminate their way home, away from their captors, to the open arms of a grateful nation.

The folded American Flag represents those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
 
1. When did you serve?

From April 22, 1981 to April 22, 1985

2. Where did you serve?

At NAS Oceana and Mayport and on these.

cva5960pf2.jpg


3. What branch of the armed services?

usnasd2.jpg


4. What rank were you?

am3.gif


5. What was your primary task?

I was an Egress and Environmental Mechanic on these during the USS Forrestal period.

vf74f4bcag67mb4.jpg


And I was and Egress and Environmental Mechanic and Flight Deck Troubleshooter on these during my USS Saratoga Cruise.

zaggyvf74oq4.jpg


6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?

I Hope it is used to teach the youth that they are living on the fruits given them by their forefathers. It is a grace.
 
1. When did you serve?
November 1997-September 2002
2. Where did you serve?
Eglin AFB, FL
Duke Field, FL
Al Jaber, Kuwait
Mildenhall, England
3. What branch of the armed services?
Air Force
4. What rank were you?
E-4 aka Senior Airman
5. What was your primary task?
Communications-Computer Systems Operator (Help Desk or Wannabe GEEK Squad)
6. What does Veterans Day mean to you?
Sad to say, but when I was in, it was a day off. I am thankful that we do have a Vetrans Day to remember the people who have sacrificed for our country.
 
Last edited:
Meghan - I used to fly out of Mildenhall on RC-135's. We also played them in football when I was at Chicksands.

RC-135.jpg
 
1. When did you serve?
June, 1969 - December, 1970
2. Where did you serve?
Ft. Dix NJ; Ft. Lewis WA; 1st Infantry Div, Di An, Vietnam; 35th Engineer Group, Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam
3. What branch of the armed services?
US Army
4. What rank were you?
SP5
5. What was your primary task?
Support
6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?
A day to remember those who sacrificed to serve our country, especially in time of war.
 
Thank you Bob. There are a number of veterans in the Memphis Scottish Society, so I printed copies for the meeting tonight and closed the meeting by reading it.


1. When did you serve?
1970-1972 active duty
1973-1975 reserves


2. Where did you serve?
USS Garcia (DE-1040) for midshipman training
USS Leary (DD-879) for active duty


3. What branch of the armed services?
USNR

4. What rank were you?
Lt (jg) the Lt while in reserves

5. What was your primary task?
Electronics Maintenance Officer and Navigator

6. What does Veteran's Day mean to you?
A time to remember and honor all who served.
 
When?

1991 - 1996

Where?

The USCGC Sherman (WHEC 720)

main.php


and USCG Station San Francisco, operating as a small boat coxswain for:

IMG_0679_edited-1.jpg


Rank?

BM3 (E-4)

Primary Task?

saremb.jpg


and

patch.php


Vetren's Day is a day to be especially thankful for a long line of people that have made many sacrafices for this country.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top