The Hebrew scriptures among myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cifrado

Puritan Board Freshman
Recently I've become interested in the parallels between Near Eastern mythology, and the Hebrew scripture. Quite frankly, I don't know where to start. Google hasn't been much help to me, as Im not sure which key phrases would yield the best results. From what I understand currently (which ain't much at all), mythological language is borrowed by Old testament writers (for example, the Mesopotamian chaos dragon myth used to portray the primeval state of creation in Gen 1:2-8 (cf. PS 74:13-14, 89:9-10; Isa. 51:9), but the main difference is that the myth stories of the Near East, in their timelessness presuppose the cyclical nature of human time on earth, while biblical time, on the other hand, has a beginning and moves forward toward a goal, in a linear understanding of human history. Thus, while the Old Testament may borrow some of the mythological language of its day, it demythologizes the material and sets it in the historical context of the one God who is working out his purpose on earth. How accurate is this understanding in your mind. I know liberal minded scholars view the Bible as borrowing from other surrounding cultures. Is this the consensus among evangelical scholars as well? How do you think this effects the veracity and truth claims of the Bible as a whole. And lastly, I'm looking for an exhaustive study from a evangelical prespective of the mythological influence of Near Eastern culture on the old testament. Got any recommendations?
 
Thus, while the Old Testament may borrow some of the mythological language of its day, it demythologizes the material and sets it in the historical context of the one God who is working out his purpose on earth. How accurate is this understanding in your mind. I know liberal minded scholars view the Bible as borrowing from other surrounding cultures.

I would say it's the opposite, of course liberals and atheists will always try to discredit the divine authority of scriptures, but I would say that the fact that pagans copied and perverted some of the truths or themes found in scriptures is good testimony for it's historicity.

I would add that believing the scriptures are not inspired by God and just a compilation of pagan myths is heretical.
 
We would look upon , e.g., the biblical account of the Flood as being authoritative and true, whereas other accounts from the ANE and from around the world are more or less legendary and/or garbled stories relating to the same event. Liberal and unbelieving scholarship assumes that Moses or JEDP borrowed from other ANE sources.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
 
Hello Cifrado

I concur with Charlie Johnson's recommendation. I've read Prof. Walton's book. He seems very fair minded in his approach and guards against parallelomania, yet is not blinded for parallels between the Bible and the Ancient Near East.

Understanding the context in which the Bible came into being is just as important reading the Bible in its original languages. God spoke to people in times that were very different from ours. We must try to bridge the gap of time by understanding the text with our minds. Obviously the Holy Spirit leads us in this quest.

I think that one needs to be just as careful of a straight polemical approach than of a liberal approach. Both ways tend to skew the picture.

Kind regards
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top