Thompson-Chain Reference Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Thompson started (I think/pretty sure) they were sold door to door starting from the original Kirkbride press. Pretty cool. (Anyone correct me if I am wrong but am sure I read that once.):book2:

To make your genuine leather last longer, I have been told to occasionally apply linseed oil.

This can seriously damage some leathers. The best oil to preserve the leather of soft bound Bibles is the oil from your hands. If you must use an oil check with the manufacturer. The various tanning processes require differing treatments. You can destroy a good binding by assuming you know what to use.

If they do suggest linseed, be aware that the rags or towels with linseed oil can/will spontaneously combust. Don't make the mistake of leaving the alone. Wash them thoroughly immediately after use. Or, lay them out flat in a safe area until they dry and then store them in an absolutely air tight container. Seriously, don't fool around with this stuff.

To make your genuine leather last longer, I have been told to occasionally apply linseed oil.

This can seriously damage some leathers. The best oil to preserve the leather of soft bound Bibles is the oil from your hands. If you must use an oil check with the manufacturer. The various tanning processes require differing treatments. You can destroy a good binding by assuming you know what to use.

If they do suggest linseed, be aware that the rags or towels with linseed oil can/will spontaneously combust. Don't make the mistake of leaving the alone. Wash them thoroughly immediately after use or store them in an absolutely air tight container.
This is correct linseed is a BAD choice for high grade leathers! Keep them clean, uses an eyeglass dust-cloth to remove dirt or grit, keep them out of direct sunlight. IF YOU MUST USE OIL, buy a high grade lanolin from a good shoe place, and even then use care, apply to a soft cloth first NOT the BIBLE COVER! Then touch to a corner blow a second, if it is a proper amount it should restore luster without being shiny (shiny is bad to much oil) you don't need that much on the cloth. :2cents:

The short answer to your question is that every few years, the Thompson Chain Reference is updated. The updates usually are done one version (e.g. KJV, NKJV, NIV) at a time. The number of pages dedicated to archaeology, study helps in the back, and maps changes. I am generally aware an "original" edition of the KJV is still sought after.

Thanks brother for your information.
But do you know why they still search after a an "original" edition of the KJV, while it is not updated like the later editions , so with less chaines ?

I hope you enjoy it.

As time goes on I find myself looking through my Bibles for one with fewer notes and I'm starting to shop for a plain Bible without any references. I just want the text.

Peace.

j

The short answer to your question is that every few years, the Thompson Chain Reference is updated. The updates usually are done one version (e.g. KJV, NKJV, NIV) at a time. The number of pages dedicated to archaeology, study helps in the back, and maps changes. I am generally aware an "original" edition of the KJV is still sought after.

Thanks brother for your information.
But do you know why they still search after a an "original" edition of the KJV, while it is not updated like the later editions , so with less chaines ?

You're welcome- you have made a good choice, and you will not regret it.

I do not know why some people still seek out the earlier version of the KJV Thompson Chain Reference. It may be the "Centennial Edition" is aiming at that market segment. It could be that the earlier edition was lighter, with less "helps" and lesser entries in the chain system. Some might have more confidence it is closer to being "influence free" than those with more recent addendum, or might like the efficiency of a slightly smaller edition, but I do not know this for sure, only speculating.

I bought mine 25 years ago and I can't remember using it once. Strange, I'll have to ask myself why. There was no internet back then. Must have been the Strong's.

I hope you enjoy it.

As time goes on I find myself looking through my Bibles for one with fewer notes and I'm starting to shop for a plain Bible without any references. I just want the text.

Peace.

j
Ditto, my latest purchase (which the PB helped me with) was a NKJV Cambridge Pitt Minion the only "notes" are the CT/MT variants at the bottom. (And the reference column if you want to count those) I an going for a "less is more" with Bibles.:2cents:

My son just purchased this special edition item for me as a belated birthday present. Wow! Should be arriving in a week or so.

Now I have no excuse for ignoring Jerusalem Blade's many posts on exactly why I should be using the KJV versus my ESV and NASU translations. :think:

My mom gave me hers as she switched to something else.

I loved it, color coded the D of G in it from Gen to Rev and a few other doctrines as well, PRedestination, Holy Spirit, etc. Used it all through college.

Had it memorized visually: oh, that is on this page # half way down rt column etc.

But a good friend when we graduated was going to teach and research with Walter Martin as a mormon basher. We used to have parties and invite the elders in and their superiors, bishops the works. JW circuit overseers too.
Anyway he said he couldn't go around teaching with a brand new Bible he would look like a novice so he wanted mine.

I hated to part with it with all my hours of color coding, but I did, figured I was too familiar with it and it would be good to start over and he gave me money for a new Thompsons. So I got a nice leather one. But it was dif and I didn't color code it and don't remember why I stopped using it. Probably too big to carry around so I went to a small old used super thin Bible.

Now of course I seldom us a Bible I live out of my computer Bibles and commentaries etc. and laptop.

So if anyone wants to buy my Early Church Fathers, Mc Clintok Strongs, Kittles, Keil and Del etc. etc. anon and anon. I would be willing to sell these since I use the computer and online for all of this now.

Oh by the way, the beauty of the Thommy story is, a few years later I get a call from my Mormon basher friend who we used to tease that he had his quiet time out of the book of mormon because he wasn't too sanctified, well he calls and thanks me for my Bible because he is now going to a Ref Presbyterian church and is a 5 point calvinist from my Thommy Bible color coding.

Praise God how mysterious are his ways.

Now what did I do with that beautiful Thommy??? Have to search for it. Maybe I gave it away too, the print font is small.

Loved the chain ref when I was a novice student. But of course I would now probably prefer a Geneva or even RC Sproul Study were I to get one.

A wonderful story, Don!

I have also color coded most of my bibles, including the three other translations of my Thompsons. I have the Sproul, Pratt, and ESV study bibles, too. I have found that over the years that the study notes finally started getting in my way, perhaps because I had many of their content already in my memory, so the Thompson seems a nice compromise from too much content in the body of the text and yet having some scripture-only cross references at the ready when needed.

I guess you are going through what I did many years ago, i.e., moving to electronic media. I still use WordSearch8 a lot and have dropped off using my Logos Scholar's library. But now I have now started moving back to paper in my old age, for I find the tactile feel of my books more enjoyable and nothing beats one's mind's ability to instantly visually integrate lots of my marked up texts on a printed page.

Just got my KJV full grain morocco leather Bible today. Best Bible I've ever owned.

The instructions said to apply a good leather preservative (e.g. Neatsfoot oil) on the outside cover one a year to renew the natural oils in the leather and help prevent drying and cracking.

Part of the story of the Thompson's Chain Reference Bible is during the summer vacation of his last year in Cotner College, Mr. B.B. Kirkbride signed up with the firm to sell the TCRB. He had no financial backing and had to depend on his own efforts to meet his expenses in school and while in the field selling the Bible. During that time the CRB was the poorest selling reference Bible on the market. Mr Kirkbride, however, committed the sales talk on the CRB to memory and learned from experience how to meet the problems of selling the Bible.

As a salesman and businessman, I find that very inspiring.

In my humble opinion, the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is one of the best Bibles ever printed. I have owned every version they have put out (I threw out my NIV!), but I can't get enough of my KJV genuine leather. The first one I bought was bonded leather, but the corners tore off within one year of intense study. If you study your Bible everyday, bonded leather won't hold up! It's got to be Genuine. A comparison could be made between solid wood and plywood, and ther is usually only about ten dollars differnce. It's worth it. Genuine leather can last a lifetime. It's not the pages that wear out but the leather and the binding. Thompson is made by Kirkbride, and it is a very well made Bible. It may not be an "Allen", but it is a fine Bible! Too Bad Allen doesn't print the Thompson Chain! There are a lot of study helps but not commentary on individual passages. It is just you and the Holy Spirit. That is what Commentaries are for anyway!:2cents:

Received my KJV Centennial edition of the Thompson Chain Reference Bible as a gift from my son: genuine Moroccan leather version. Outstanding quality! I own many other versions of the Thompson, too. There is no comparison between the references given in the standard reference bible and the Thompson chain (i.e., over 4000 thought suggestions). In effect you have a Nave's Topical Bible (with every verse of the Bible indexed to topics) combined with a Bible in your hands when you have a Thompson Chain Reference (over 100,000 references) Bible. Nothing but Scripture interpreting Scripture.

I love mine and used it much in the States.

However, here, with high humidity, those razor-thin pages just don't cut it and the dripping sweat almost ruins the pages when I use it.

Out of curiosity what bible/edition do you use then? I have the same problem when I am in humid conditions...which is rarely

Sorry I forget...it's packed in luggage right now as we are travelling. I use an ESV now with thicker pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back