Thoughts On Weekend Travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Graduate
So... I'm really second guessing our weekend travel plans. We are supposed to drive tomorrow evening to Georgia from SC, 3 1/2 hours to spend the weekend with family. It's a lot of country roads, and we are choosing night time because the extreme heat right now during the day. I keep thinking about the dangers of a breakdown or flat, because we have four young kids to care for through it. No matter the scenario there are real risks. Our van is in good shape, btw.

Am I overthinking or should we cancel?
 
With something like that, would there be routes that could lessen the country roads risk? In general, bring several gallons of water and some battery packs if you have any to make sure phones stay charged. Ditto for snacks/sustenance.

[Edit] Also, if you don't have AAA, now's not a bad time to get it, especially one with extra towing range. I do remember you had some engine issues previously, but am not sure if that got fully resolved.

Instead of leaving in the nighttime for 3.5 hours, what about leaving at 4 or 5 AM? The heat sticks around a LONG time in the summer so if you can take advantage of the overnight cooldown, that'll make it a much cooler trip all things considered. [Edit] Even if you do have a breakdown, there's many more resources and comparative safety in being stuck at 11 AM than at 3 AM.
 

Thoughts On Weekend Travel?​


Yes. Don't. :amen: You're :welcome:
[automerge]1783071236[/automerge]
So... I'm really second guessing our weekend travel plans. We are supposed to drive tomorrow evening to Georgia from SC, 3 1/2 hours to spend the weekend with family. It's a lot of country roads, and we are choosing night time because the extreme heat right now during the day. I keep thinking about the dangers of a breakdown or flat, because we have four young kids to care for through it. No matter the scenario there are real risks. Our van is in good shape, btw.

Am I overthinking or should we cancel?
In all seriousness, pray about it, then pray some more. If you're uncomfortable with the travel distance, maybe you have your answer already?
 
If your vehicle is reliable, I wouldn’t let the heat dictate my time. Just bring plenty of water and maybe a cooler with ice. You’re in the south. Someone is going to pull over to help a family with four young kids if needed. Though I agree with AAA or another towing service as well.
 
I always assume that we could breakdown. It happens. My earliest memories of summer travel were in a car with no air conditioning and black vinyl seats. Our vehicles overheated a few times over the years. Unless there is a medical condition of one of your family members where brutal heat is a non-negotiable, I wouldn't worry.
 
I always assume that we could breakdown.
Then you are safer than average. I read a study must, be 30 years ago, that says that pessimists have a lot fewer problems than optimists. See, the Optimist doesn't check that his spare is inflated and in good shape. The pessimist checks on these things. It only takes a few minutes. But big potential difference.

So go wherever you want to go. But be a pessimist. It'll work in your favor in the long run.

PS -- I do actually mean this to be serious, but please understand that I'm also trying to be humorous. So I don't mind those laughing faces at all. I will not be offended in the least. :)
 
I used to drive between Statesboro and the Atlanta area with no AC so I can appreciate the night travel for coolness. Are you talking old US highways like 301 or no-name cut-across roads?
 
We ended up doing the evening drive. It was quite nice actually. Non-busy back roads that are nicely paved, but not in the middle of nowhere. There were plenty of places to go to along the way in case of an emergency. Thanks for the encouragement!
 
Then you are safer than average. I read a study must, be 30 years ago, that says that pessimists have a lot fewer problems than optimists. See, the Optimist doesn't check that his spare is inflated and in good shape. The pessimist checks on these things. It only takes a few minutes. But big potential difference.

So go wherever you want to go. But be a pessimist. It'll work in your favor in the long run.

PS -- I do actually mean this to be serious, but please understand that I'm also trying to be humorous. So I don't mind those laughing faces at all. I will not be offended in the least. :)
I think that's just being cautious. Im like this with everything. It's the say of, "Better safe than sorry".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top