Tips for Note Taking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

Puritan Board Sophomore
I've never taken any notes in a book before. I think that I may begin doing this in the books I read. What is your advice for note taking? Not just the Bible, but books in general. What do you write in the margins with such little space? Just a couple words? I am interested to see your guys' strategy is.
 
Be careful what you use for your note taking. I've seen ball point ink eat through a piece of pulpwood paper. Pencils are probably safe, but may fade. It's going to be a factor of the paper and the ink for a pen. If the paper is slick, some inks will smear; on the other hand, some papers will soak up wet inks.

Here's a recommendation that I haven't tested:

Pens for Bibles | Soul deSaenz
 
I think the most effective way is to use the notes as a way to find important things you'll want to reference later. Underlines are oftentimes sufficient; sometimes quick notes around bits of text can be helpful. Anything more quickly gets excessive and loses usefulness in my opinion.
 
I taught literature for years, so I marked my novels up regularly. Underlining works better than highlighting, especially if the paper is cheap. I could usually fit one word in the margin, or I'd put an asterisk in the margin with a longer note in the foot margin.

For my Bible, I have a wide-margin Bible, so I can usually fit one or two notes per verse, or I can add a superscript letter to correspond with a longer note in the foot margin.
 
I register my interest in a point or quotable sentence by just marking with
a pencil along side with a short downward stroke. Then after a couple of chapters,
go over the reading entering the marked places into the bigger last years diaries
which can be picked up cheaply. Also recording the page number for reference, if
needed for the context and proof.
 
I do not write in my books.
Rather, I make notes on a few pieces of printer paper, reference the pages, fold them, and keep them inside the book cover.
If I think it will accumulate into quite a numerous collection (like for Calvin's Institutes), I'll use a 70 page spiral or something.

Blessings!
 
I do not write in my books.
Rather, I make notes on a few pieces of printer paper, reference the pages, fold them, and keep them inside the book cover.
If I think it will accumulate into quite a numerous collection (like for Calvin's Institutes), I'll use a 70 page spiral or something.

Blessings!

That's a nifty idea. You would hate to see inside my books...I mark them up! Except for old books. As Mohler said, "Mark not thy pen upon the ancient page, nor highlight upon the manuscript." :-)

I tend to make an index inside the back cover if the book is really helpful.

Of course, my primary reading is sermon prep/research, so I have a different system for that reading. Kara gave me a Spirit of the Reformation study Bible shortly before my ordination. If I read something that makes me think, "I will definitely need to reference this again," then I pull out the SOTR, turn to the appropriate passage, and make a note roughly to this effect: "On Jn 3.16, cf. Lastname, 'Title,' pp 341-343."

When I begin my weekly study for preaching, the first place I turn is that Bible to see what I've already read and found helpful on a given passage. It is invaluable for me.

Grace to you.
 
Last edited:
I'll also add this: when reading through a book (as opposed to dipping into or just consulting a particular portion of it) I've begun writing a quick 1-paragraph summary in the blank space at the end of each chapter. I note strengths, weaknesses, and anything that stands out in that chapter. It helps me retain what I've read and follow the author's argument/line of thought.

Just another idea...hope it helps!
 
when reading through a book (as opposed to dipping into or just consulting a particular portion of it) I've begun writing a quick 1-paragraph summary in the blank space at the end of each chapter. I note strengths, weaknesses, and anything that stands out in that chapter. It helps me retain what I've read and follow the author's argument/line of thought.

yup, doing this now
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top