Semiomniscient
Puritan Board Freshman
My friend asked me this weekend about whether or not giving to a medical charity (for child autism) was supposed to be considered as part of her ten percent tithe. I really wasn't sure how to answer her.
As a number of things were going through my head, (such as my great-great-grandfather who was a baptist minister saying that tithes aren't required under New Testament law, just a cheerful giver giving what they can). Also, that the church is to take stewardship of our funds doing with them what needs to be done. But also, that as Christians individually, we have a responsibility to glorify God where and when we can--which includes monetary giving. I think secular charities that aim to research cures for ailments (ala St. Jude's) are includable.
Anyway, my figuring is that 10% is considered to be what most can reasonably afford to donate, and that the only problem I could see with it counting towards your tithe would be that it shorts the church's funds which should be spent on necessary expenses, mission-work, and the like. (I did also mention that 10% is by no means supposed to be a cap on your giving).
I might mention that the girl is nominally baptist, but is in one of those struggling positions as a Christian. She's friends with my wife who's working on her to come to church with us.
As a number of things were going through my head, (such as my great-great-grandfather who was a baptist minister saying that tithes aren't required under New Testament law, just a cheerful giver giving what they can). Also, that the church is to take stewardship of our funds doing with them what needs to be done. But also, that as Christians individually, we have a responsibility to glorify God where and when we can--which includes monetary giving. I think secular charities that aim to research cures for ailments (ala St. Jude's) are includable.
Anyway, my figuring is that 10% is considered to be what most can reasonably afford to donate, and that the only problem I could see with it counting towards your tithe would be that it shorts the church's funds which should be spent on necessary expenses, mission-work, and the like. (I did also mention that 10% is by no means supposed to be a cap on your giving).
I might mention that the girl is nominally baptist, but is in one of those struggling positions as a Christian. She's friends with my wife who's working on her to come to church with us.
.