topic formatting question - outlining

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
I'm trying to post an outline with indentions...

A.
__1.
_____a.
_____b.
__2.

to look something like this. The list in the bbcode doesn't do this nor does the block code (unless I'm doing something wrong) I could do this in HTML if that option was available...To the left of this box I show that

BB Code is On.

Is there a way to turn HTML on ?

Help! Thanks!

I'm trying to do it without using the lines...plus when the line wraps to the next line it doesn't wrap properly...

For my part, it is way easier to do it in Word, attach a document, or do a screen capture.

Originally posted by crhoades
I'm trying to do it without using the lines...plus when the line wraps to the next line it doesn't wrap properly...
Yeah, I wasn't able to do it without the lines, using BBcode.

As you said, it'd be much easier using HTML code. I read online somewhere that many, or most, sites don't configure their boards with the HTML option enabled. Apparently, the wrong use of HTML code could cause problems with the site's setup.

Here's an interesting page that gives some code that can be added by system administrators that allows users to insert tabs before their text. I don't know if this is something that could be added at this site, but it looks like it might do the trick.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
For my part, it is way easier to do it in Word, attach a document, or do a screen capture.

Do it in Microsoft Word or WordPerfect, and save it as a HTML file if that's what you need... I don't think it's practical to make outlines initially with HTML-- they should transplanted from some better mechanism for creating outlines that automates the product. Even WYSIWG HTML editors make the process tedious and difficult.

Originally posted by blhowes
Here's an interesting page that gives some code that can be added by system administrators that allows users to insert tabs before their text. I don't know if this is something that could be added at this site, but it looks like it might do the trick.

Bob,

This modification is for PHPBB, a different board system. Can you run whatever search you did to find it on the XMB forum site and see if they have such a Mod?

http://forums.xmbforum.com/

http://www.xmbhacks.co.uk/home/

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Can you run whatever search you did to find it on the XMB forum site and see if they have such a Mod?
No luck, yet.

I played around with the list function and got something that's a little closer to what Chris is looking for. If you embed a list tag within a list tag, here's what you get.

• Text
  • More Text
    [/list=A]
      1. Text
      2. More Text[/list=A]

Here's what that looks like in code:

• Text
  • More Text
    [/list=A]
      1. Text
      2. More Text[/list=A]

Fred and Bob,

Thank you soooo much for your help! Results can be found here

If you want to see how I did it, quote the post and it will show the bbcodes behind it. There's gotta be a better way though...

Originally posted by crhoades
Fred and Bob,

Thank you soooo much for your help! Results can be found here

If you want to see how I did it, quote the post and it will show the bbcodes behind it. There's gotta be a better way though...
Chris,
That looks nice. I agree its kind of a 'klunky' way of doing it, but the results are very good.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back