Awkward Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the natural order have women mostly in the home and not as doctors in the first place?

We cannot have it both ways. We cannot say that only women doctors ought to examine women patients by appealing to the natural order and then, at other times, appeal to the natural order to say that the majority of women should be in the home. This would mean that 50% of the population (women) would be serviced by only a very few and rare women doctors bucking the natural order and pursuing a career instead of tending to the home.

In our own more gender-segregated past women went to men doctors, after all.

Yes and no. I think that you have two different groups making two different natural order arguments here. Some are indeed making the argument you present--that only men should be doctors due to the headship of man. This view, of course, has obvious historical precedent. Others are arguing that it's improper for a man who is not married to a women to examine her sexual organs. This is not necessarily based on the innate sexuality of the examination, but rather the propriety of it. That party, if wanting to establish historical precedent, might point to the use of midwives and nurses as previous providers of such services.

Both of those arguments cannot be correct, or at least correctly applied in view of this particular situation, but still neither depend on the whether or not the act is "erotic".

Anecdotally speaking, the places my wife has had medical care have females in the room even when I'm there when sexual examinations are done. I don't know how it is with men.

Oops. That’s a bit clumsy on the word choice. I meant gynecological examination.

Are you asking if a female nurse would be present when a man was having a GYN exam? :confused:

Are you asking if a female nurse would be present when a man was having a GYN exam? :confused:

I was hospitalized for what we thought was appendicitis back in '99. I female intern gave an..ahem..private exam on me but I can't remember if anyone else was in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back