unconditional forgiveness uno mas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Burden Bearers

Puritan Board Freshman
I am convicted of clinging and holding on dearly to unconditional forgiveness. When considering forgiveness between two saved individuals—where one has offended the other—the concept of forgiveness has to be deeply rooted in the understanding of God's forgiveness towards us even by nature of our "eternal security". Is my repentance ever truly demonstrated by a "frequency cap" of sins in a sanctified walk but without His grace to restrain or change me? As I have read many of the posts, I would suggest we are also people captive to our culture. Sadly there are so many underlying therapeutic drivers based primarily on "but look at the pain" he/she has caused...or "if I forgive unconditionally, they will get away with it". When I read in Psalms 73:22,23

"When my heart was embittered And I was pierced within, Then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a bute beast before You. Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand."

This seems to be a dominant aspect in all 66 books that despite my sin, lack of reverence, fear, and due honor, (which should be a constant, in the forefront of my mind) ...I am still so often a brute beast and so blessed by an amazing "nevertheless" from my savior. If forgiveness is conditional, bitterness, resentment, and disdain continue to evolve. A lack of reconciliation will continue to play out with other family members in the faith who are privy and choose a side, as well as siblings or those with children who easily stumble and become advocates for their parents. Col.3:13, and Matt.5:44 just to name a couple would seem like an obvious avenue for those who would also pursue peace and unity.

I know, we are to be repentant, I know using the therapeutic response of the day means "we're simply enablers" and thus enable abusers. But I gotta say, somehow and even in my life leading up to my regeneration and belief, He loved me while an enemy. I have read great responses in this forum and know how my Father is holy and loves justice. What I find as you choose to practice a rigor of "conditional" forgiveness, it ends up creating an equal if not greater problem with the fallout in the offended then the offender. And yes, I have read many of the verses and arguments for conditional forgiveness as a basis for reconciliation. But can we live that out without any wincing or stain on the conscience and simply say...biblically, it is still their fault? Fortunately, glorification is around the corner, and God has His ways of dispensing justice because, in the end, all sin is primarily against Him. If I am to imitate Christ, I would rather forgive and choose "rather to be offended".
Call me a potato head..., but I am living this out on both sides. It's just so ugly without living like a sojourner.
 
Last edited:
Considering forgiveness between two saved individuals—where one has offended the other—the concept of forgiveness has to be deeply rooted in the understanding of God's forgiveness towards us even by nature of our "eternal security". Is my repentance ever truly demonstrated by a "frequency cap" of sins in a sanctified walk but without His grace to restrain or change me? As I have read many of the posts, I would suggest we are also people captive to our culture. Sadly there are so many underlying therapeutic drivers based primarily on "but look at the pain" that he/she has caused...or "if I forgive unconditionally, they will get away with it". When I read in Psalms 73 "When my heart was embittered And I was pierced within, Then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You. Nevertheless I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand." This seems to be a dominant aspect in all 66 books that though my sin, lack of reverence, fear, and due honor, keeping it in the forefront of my mind should be a constant...I am still so often a brute beast and I am blessed by an amazing "nevertheless". The greater bitterness that continues to evolve, lack of reconciliation and even how it plays into the children from the parents just does not seem to follow Col.3:13, Matt.5:44

I know, we are to be repentant, I know using the therapeutic response of the day means "we're simply enablers" and thus enable abusers. But I gotta say, somehow and even in my salvation He loved me as an enemy. I have read great responses in this forum and know how my Father is holy and loves justice. What I am finding when you try and practice a rigor of "conditional" forgiveness, it ends up creating an equal if not greater problem with the fallout in the offended then the offender. And yes, I have read many of the verses and arguments for conditional forgiveness as a basis for any reconciliation. But can we live that out without any wincing or stain on the conscience and simply say...biblically, it's their fault? Fortunately, glorification is around the corner, and God has His ways of dispensing justice because, in the end, all sin is primarily against Him. If I am to imitate Christ, I would rather forgive and choose— "rather to be offended". Call me a potato head..., but I am living this out on both sides. It's just so ugly without living like a sojourner.
Ok, you're a potato head......but seriously if I'm understanding what you're saying I can tell you that I have held on to unforgiveness in my heart in the past, and its a cancer to the soul. I stopped reading The Word, praying, and attending church because I could not, I dared not take communion because of it, and my sinful pride would rather avoid church than for my fellow church family see me pass up the wafer and wine (welches concord grape juice). If I'm misunderstanding your meaning.......then I'm a potato head.
 
David, sorry I must not have been clear, so yes I’m a potato head still. But I do completely agree with you. I am a proponent of unconditional forgiveness in light of the very things you said as well. It’s great to find another brother who doesn’t have to caveat forgiveness into various and often tortured steps for reconciliation.
 
David, sorry I must not have been clear, so yes I’m a potato head still. But I do completely agree with you. I am a proponent of unconditional forgiveness in light of the very things you said as well. It’s great to find another brother who doesn’t have to caveat forgiveness into various and often tortured steps for reconciliation.
I'm right there with you. Forgiveness is healing and good for the person doing the forgiving, so I don't know why someone would choose to be in that emotional hardened spot of not forgiving.
 
David, sorry I must not have been clear, so yes I’m a potato head still. But I do completely agree with you. I am a proponent of unconditional forgiveness in light of the very things you said as well. It’s great to find another brother who doesn’t have to caveat forgiveness into various and often tortured steps for reconciliation.
Ahh, ok gotcha brother.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top