Who do you guys want to be like and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
Wow? Who do you want emulate? My pic is Samuel Rutherford in some ways. John Owen in some ways. John Huss and Martin Luther in an other. Who do you want to be like? Why do you want to be like them?

I will tell you something. Don't say it is because they were perfect or emulated Christ perfectly. St. Bernard of Clarivoiux is also something I like. So is St. Francis of Assis.

Ehud from Judges. Left handed and carried a cool sword :D

Seriously, if we're talking reformed, I'm quite fond of Asahel Nettleton (the guy in my avatar). Strong Calvinist evangelist who lived around Charles Finney's time, but goes almost completely ignored because he wasn't as flamboyant in his methods. Yet, unlike Finney, almost all of Nettleton's professed converts went on to live solid, consistent Christian lives, giving evidence to the true conversion of their hearts.

What I like most about him is that he did his work and did it in obscurity, kind of a "behind the scenes" worker for the kingdom as far as popularity. But I like that "behind the scenes" work for God, things that may not be as popular or upfront. It's fun, and it's enjoyable to do.

I would choose either Ruth of the Bible or Sarah Edwards. Both women were highly devoted to God and their family. Because of their dedication, each woman made a lasting impact on their future descendants.

I want to be like Christ, most of all, and I want to emulate men insofar as they emulate(d) Christ. With that said, I want the boldness of Stanley Dale who was martyred bringing the Gospel to the Yali tribe in Irian Jaya, I want the eternal-mindedness of the Moravian young man who sold himself into slavery to bring the Gospel to slaves on a secluded island, I want the networking skills of Pergamum here on the PB (though I'm not exactly sure if that's an attribute of the Lord, but whatever ;) ), I want the dedication to the Word of God of a pastor named Tony Arnds in the backwoods of Northern California, I want the theology of Paul and the patience of Job, I want the fear of the Lord of Isaiah and the unexpected kindness of the parabolic Samaritan man...
Yes, I want to be like Jesus.

Two of my favorite people are Jonathan Edwards and Stonewall Jackson. I see a lot of similiarities in their personality and makeup.

Both were socially awkward, even shy, men that were sometimes seen as cold, distant, aloof. That is something I can relate too a lot. Both were often misunderstood, and I get that too. Both seemed to foster deep frienships and great respect, but bitter contempt from others. Too a lesser degree that's me.

Both were highly intelligent men, purposeful men, who were gifted to take their realm of expertise where few others have gone. I'm not quite there yet.

But the greatest thing that they both had--and I think each possessed in rare form-- was discipline. And that is the area that I most want (and need) to be like them both. I've read a few biographies of both men, and have never read one that I did not wonder in amazement at the discipline of both men. And while the intellect of both men tower over me like a mountain over a molehill, it is in their discipline that I see my biggest shortcoming.

I assume we are talking about qualities in persons, not persons themselves. Every applaudable quality that we find in great men of faith we ultimately find in Christ, and in the greatest degree possible. That said, I personally want to have Jonathan Edwards' determination to obey and love God (I'm very greatful for his "resolutions" that every Christian should memorize and seek to fulfill every day of his life).

Martin Bucer---I want to stay on good terms with the brothers. I also admire Thomas Cranmer, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Robert E. Lee, and Francis of Assisi.

I think a mix between Eric Metaxas, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, William Lane Craig, and Russell Moore/AL Mohler...too much?

If I could be like anyone I'd pick between four people. I'd like to be like Pat Cooper. She's not famous, but she was one of the most godly women I've ever met. She humbly served the Lord, (quietly I might add) by following her husband all over the world as he proclaimed the gospel faithfully to thousands. She was quiet, humble, gracious, full of wisdom and love for the Lord. I admired her deeply while she and her husband Corty served in our church. She showed me what a godly wife looked like in every way.

I would also like to be more like my friend Ellen who recently went through breast cancer. She endured the trial with so much grace. She is by far one of my favorite people. She never complained about having cancer. Instead she used the blessing of her affliction to share the gospel with others in chemo, and decided not to let her cancer go to waste. She truly glorified the Lord in her trial.

I'd also like very much to be like Heidi. She has so much wisdom and grace. Her words of encouragement and unfailing friendship amaze me. I'd love to have her tender heart, her intellect, and her ability to encourage.

The last person I'd want to be like is Carole Torpey. She is a woman from my congregation who has Parkinson's Disease. She is simply beautiful. She always smiles, has a kind word, and endures an every day battle with more cheerfulness than I've ever seen exhibited. This woman blesses me and my family in every way every week we see her at church.

I'm thankful for such godly women in my life. These women have shown me Christ in real ways just by living their lives in ways that honor and glorify the Lord in very different callings. The really nice thing is I get to interact with two of these women in church every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back