Why do women like Pride and Prejudice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, poor phantom...hard to get the girl if you live in the sewers.




One question about the Phantom of the Opera movie...."Does anything get blow'd up?"
 
I've recently dragged out my old "Phantom" sheet music as I was told that playing the piano would be good physical therapy. The "Phantom" music for piano challenges one's right hand quite a bit & that's good for me... Anyway, it seems that the lyrics of "Music of the Night" are thoroughly execrable and repugnant to this now-Christian's ears, soul, etc., and I was thinking I'd do just as poorly trying to listen to the MC5 again. :duh:

Musical "Phantom Of The Opera" Lyrics, The Music Of The Night Lyrics >>

Bleeaaagh!

I was also thinking of old CDs that I have of "Phantom..." & this popped into my head: anyone else remember a little event that took place at Comiskey Park in Chicago in the late '70s? DJ named Steve Dahl? Something about disco?!!!! :lol: "The Phantom of the Opera is here... And here... And there... And way over there..." Pergamum: you'd get your wish! (And I'd get mine!)

Margaret

(Off to work now... :book2:)
 
I was also thinking of old CDs that I have of "Phantom..." & this popped into my head: anyone else remember a little event that took place at Comiskey Park in Chicago in the late '70s? DJ named Steve Dahl? Something about disco?!!!! :lol: "The Phantom of the Opera is here... And here... And there... And way over there...")


I am racking my brain, but have no idea what you are talking about.

Wait a minute...

Did it involve a bomb?
 
A lot of women also seem to like the Phantom of the Opera

This is a bit :offtopic:, but I'm just wondering (maybe should do a poll): am I the only one here (women only) who has always considered "Phantom..." to be (1) more than a little creepy (in fact, for me, the Creep Factor goes off the chart), no matter who's playing whom, and (2) a big fat nothingburger?

I know it's supposed to be a modernized classic, but -- who... cares...?

(My apologies to anyone I may have unwittingly and unwillingly offended with this woefully unschooled opinion of "Phantom of the Opera." It just always seemed to me to be such a waste of good theater space, for so many years, at the Pantages Theater in Toronto. When I saw it in Detroit, I came away thinking, "So many socks to sort; so little time..." :lol: )



Margaret
Ooops.
I love the Phantom of the Opera, both the Toronto musical and the new movie!
 
I was also thinking of old CDs that I have of \"Phantom...\" & this popped into my head: anyone else remember a little event that took place at Comiskey Park in Chicago in the late '70s? DJ named Steve Dahl? Something about disco?!!!! :lol: \"The Phantom of the Opera is here... And here... And there... And way over there...\")


I am racking my brain, but have no idea what you are talking about.

Wait a minute...

Did it involve a bomb?


Sort of. Chicago DJ Steve Dahl absolutely hated disco and had been fired by a station that had adopted the format. So he staged a "Disco Demolition Night" in July, 1979, at Comiskey Park in which, between games of a twinight double-header, people could throw disco records and they would be detonated in center field. (The idea was that there was to be minimal damage to the field so that the second game could be played. That wasn't happening, however.) Here's a description of it: Disco Demolition Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There's a YouTube video of it, but I wouldn't advise watching it. (Very foul language...)

More people turned up than were expected and more disco records were thrown onto the already enormous pile, so that when the actual demolition occurred, much of the turf of Comiskey Park was destroyed (it was awesome!) and, of course, the second game had to be postponed. Also, people who showed up and wandered around the field while stuff was still burning were not, shall we say, the usual Comiskey denizons and Chicago's Finest had their hands full, arresting people all night. The whole thing was a stunt that Bill Veeck promoted and figured would rake him in a whole lot of cash (as though he needed it). It sort of backfired, though (no pun intended): Steve Dahl's career was pretty much gone and Veeck never really recovered from the "stupid" rep that he was left with in the aftermath of this idiocy.

Anyway, I was picturing zillions of CDs of "Music of the Night" meeting a fate similar to that of a few million John Travolta, Bee Gees and Gloria Gaynor records back in '79... :lol:

It was fun to watch on TV (the language was blipped) because it was, well, Chicago... :p (No offense to anyone! I have tons of relatives in Chicago!) We knew it would never happen again, though, because of the shocking amount of damage it caused.

Margaret

-----Added 6/5/2009 at 01:46:41 EST-----

Ooops.
I love the Phantom of the Opera, both the Toronto musical and the new movie!

Oh, I'm sorry! :) :( Feel free to whale away on... Hmmm, let's see... uh, have I seen any good movies lately? Not really... :think: :confused:

When I think of one, I'll post it!

Margaret
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top