Why Anglican?

Discussion in 'Ecclesiology' started by Ryan&Amber2013, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRoper

SRoper Puritan Board Graduate

That's how I was using the term. I suppose the definition is somewhat elastic meaning "a sort of Calvinism I think is too far," so you are free to disagree with it.

2. TylerRay

TylerRay Puritan Board Senior

Do you really believe that anyone who thinks it's improper to say that God desires the salvation of all men is a hypercalvinist, or is teaching something dangerous?

3. yeutter

yeutter Puritan Board Senior

I did not take offense at what you said. Historically there is a difference between a high Calvinist and a hyper-Calvinist. The problem with the definition you are using is that it would include men like the late Dr. John H. Gerstner under the category hyper-Calvinist.

4. SRoper

SRoper Puritan Board Graduate

Not sure where I said the notion was dangerous.

Honestly, I don't know enough about Gerstner to comment.

If there is a better shorthand of "rejection of the free offer of the gospel," please substitute it for "hyper-Calvinist" in my comment.

5. TylerRay

Sorry, I didn't mean to put words into your mouth.

It's not a rejection of the free offer. I believe God, in the preaching of the gospel, offers Christ, with all his benefits, freely and sincerely, to all men without distinction. I do not, however, believe that it appropriate to speak of God as desiring the salvation of all men, as I think it creates insurmountable problems for Theology Proper.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Amen Amen x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Ryan&Amber2013

Ryan&Amber2013 Puritan Board Junior

In all respect - does this mean you exclude 1 Timothy from the Bible?

This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    1 Timothy 2:3‭-‬4
    http://bible.com/59/1ti.2.3-4.ESV

7. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Moderating. Surely there was a better way to ask that; like what does 1 Timothy 2:3-4 mean then? Theologians such as David Dickson explained this as "God will have all sorts of men" etc. See this old thread.
    Folks, with my assistance I admit, this is far afield of the thread topic. This subject has been discussed in numerous threads of the subject of the free offer and a new one can certainly be started; but I suspect except for the rabbit trials this thread had ended before now.

8. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

No. It mans he correctly understands that the Analogy of Scripture and the context demand that all men there means all kinds of men, which is commensurate with what the Scripture teaches about the design of the atonement, the simplicity of God, His not possessing of contrary or unfulfilled "desires," etc.

9. Ryan&Amber2013

Yes you are right. My apologies. I just had a moment to ask and was kind of shocked to hear the language.

10. Ryan&Amber2013

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! I'm sorry if the question came across as rude.

11. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

No worries, on my part, Ryan. I cannot say how it came across to Tyler, but context is key when we are understanding the Scriptures . . . especially taking into consideration the doctrine of God, the interpretation of "the whole counsel of God," etc. Just because brethren disagree, does not mean they have regarded some parts of Holy Scripture as not being Scripture.

12. TylerRay

Although we are off topic, I'll give one more reply on this subject, if the moderators will allow it.

For the record, I'm not offended or upset. No worries.

As Joshua said, context is key when interpreting any passage. Here is the context for the verse in question:
    So, Paul is encouraging Timothy to pray for all kinds of men, including kings, etc. Verses 3 and 4 are a supporting argument for Timothy to pray for these people.

When Paul tells Timothy to pray for "all men," it is clear that he is not telling him to pray for every individual, but for men of every kind. He gives kings and people in authority as examples of kinds of men.

So, Timothy is to pray for all kinds of men, and is to take as part of his encouragement to do this, that God intends to save all kinds of men.

Calvin writes:
    Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this. As for this thread, I think we've overstepped our bounds.

13. Ryan&Amber2013

I am sorry if I offended you. I should have stated that differently. I've never looked into that topic and didn't understand what you were saying. Please forgive me.

14. TylerRay

I forgive you, brother. We all have blind spots. I remember having been shocked when I first heard Calvinists teaching that God does want to save all men!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.