6 June 1944

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you ask people under 30 what D-Day is, if you would get a correct answer or an answer at all? Just curious.
 
My email is [email protected], I started using Rufus becuase my father thought I looked like a farmer named Rufus when I wore overalls (when I was younger), and 6 June for D-Day (I was the biggest WWII nerd as a kid).
 
This is a very important day in history.

The incredible bravery, and what was at stake, altered world history (for the better), and has benefits for us to the present day.
 
I had the privilege of touring General Eisenhower's home in Gettysburg today. A fitting day for the tour.
 
D day

Lest we forget

Coventry No 4 Branch (Triumph Standard Motors) Royal British Legion

Would that preachers of the gospel of Christ (including myself) would preach with half of the bravery of those men who landed on Omaha Beach 68 years ago.
 
It maybe means that us British weren't ruled by the Russian Communists for forty or so years. Or does it?

Anyway, we should thank God for those who laid down their lives to defeat Germany.
 
A dear friend of mine lost her father 68 years ago today. She was born on May 13, 1944. Her mother managed to get a newborn photo of her delivered to him just before D-Day, and she got a letter back from him that he was "overjoyed" at seeing his daughter. Then he was killed on the beach at Normandy. My friend only knows about this wonderful man from her mother and grandmother... Often, we forget these consequences of war.
 
A few years ago en route to the ferry at Cherbourg we stopped of at one of the Normandy beaches. It was the Utah beach which was next to Omaha beach. It was a lovely sunny calm day and seemed hard to imagine amidst such quiet and peaceful surroundings so many men lost their lives. Some German gun placements are still there and a few tanks and armoured cars remain as memorials. Along the side of the road are markers marking where people lost their lives. It was quite a moving experience and one that wouldn't be be forgotten by any visitor let alone by any relative of those who fought and died there.
 
And let's not forget the Canadian soldiers who had the primary role at Juno beach and made the most gains of any Allied units on D day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top