A Sabbath Postion Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
From time to time here at the PB people change thier postion on issues as is evident of those in the baptism issue. Our purpose as believers in these and all issues is to constantly to 'search the scriptures' to see if these things be true. I personally have had to make many changes in theology, especially after leaving dispensational premillinialism some 10 years ago. I have had to swallow my pride on many things in order to follow what I believe to be the teaching of the Word of God.
Over the last several months I have revisited the sabbath issue. I have had, what I believe now was a remnant of dispensationalism, several objections to the Lord's day being called the sabbath. I read read several books through the last few years and various writings by Puritan authors regarding the subject but was unconvinced of thier argument. However, I recently ran across two short books that 'burned my playhouse down' so to speak and answered my objections to the point that after much distress of soul I have changed my postion to embrace the sabbath postion as it is outlined in the 1689 LBCF in chapter 22.
The author ofthese two books is A.W. Pink. One is called "The Law and the Saint" and the other is "The Christian Sabbath". I highly reccomend these books to anyone struggling with the issue. It is not my intention to try and bind anyones conscience about the issue but simply to announce my change in postion about the matter.
As always I want to tell each and everyone of the members here at the PB that I greatly enjoy your fellowship in the Gospel and look forward by the providence of our Lord God to many years of enjoyment of it.

I am your servant in Christ,
brother James

Brother James,

If you are willing, I would be grateful if you might briefly spell out what arguments your 'playhouse' consisted of, and how Mr Pink dispelled them.

James - I had a similar struggle with the sabbath. I viewed it as a list of do's and don'ts. When I came to realize that the Christian sabbath is spiritual in nature I found my objections at the wayside. I still would not be considered a sabbatarian as my PB brethren would view it, but I have to come to understand that the Lord's Day is consecrated and should be observed.

May God be praised! There is a special delight in the Lord which follows upon calling the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable. May He cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it!

Thank you for your continued example of humility before the Word of God, Mr. Farley! I am thankful for your testimony. Believe it or not it was "The Christian Sabbath" by Pink that changed my view of the Lord's Day as well. (Pink also changed my view of Election with his "Sovereignty of God", and tithing with his paphlet "Tithing") Rev McMahon also has an interesting paper on the Sabbath that I have been working through.

I would also be interested in hearing exactly which arguments of Pink changed your view. (I know which ones changed my view)

Also, just out of curiosity, where does that leave you with the 1646?

Thank you for your continued example of humility before the Word of God, Mr. Farley! I am thankful for your testimony. Believe it or not it was "The Christian Sabbath" by Pink that changed my view of the Lord's Day as well. (Pink also changed my view of Election with his "Sovereignty of God", and tithing with his paphlet "Tithing") Rev McMahon also has an interesting paper on the Sabbath that I have been working through.

I would also be interested in hearing exactly which arguments of Pink changed your view. (I know which ones changed my view)

Also, just out of curiosity, where does that leave you with the 1646?

His argument seperating the law into 1. The Law of God, 2. The law of Moses, and 3. The Law of Christ is what did it for me. Also the literal Hebrew reading of Gen 4:3 and the literal Greek of Matt. 28:1. Again, I did not come to this lightly. It has been 'eating' at me for some time. I
I have read the OT through twice this year so far and each time I go through Genesis I find a new revelation to me about the moral law, what Pink calls the law of God, being followed by characters in the book of Genesis. In Gen. 18 Abraham is said to be following laws and statutes. What are they if not the law of God? As far as the 1646 goes, it's still a great confession. Why they did not make a statement on the Lord's day is a mystery because from what I've read about the baptist's at that time they had a high regard of the day. However, my pastor as well as myself have come under the conviction that we have been in error in our teaching about the matter. For the next who knows how many Sunday nights the 1689 confession will be distributed and taught to our congregation.

I personally have had to make many changes in theology, especially after leaving dispensational premillinialism some 10 years ago.

I'm glad you abandoned dispensationalism, but there was no need to abandon premillennialism. Something about throwing out the baby with the bath water...;)

BTW brethren, I want to reiterate that I am not going to be argumentative about this and intend to allow the same grace that was given to me about this. A man must be fully convinced of this in his heart by way of the holy scripture. All I know is that I've made such a mess in years past of my christian life and theology that I want to endeavor to follow God's Word in every area of my life as God by His wonderful grace will reveal to me. I want to honor Christ with every fiber of my being. I want to forget the things which are behind and press forward toward the prize of the high calling. I desire all my brethren and sister's prayers and fellowship.

...several objections to the Lord's day being called the sabbath.

Have you ever noticed that, in the Gospels and the early chapters of Acts, the day is termed the "Sabbath," but that, in the rest of the New Testament, the day, on those few times it's mentioned, is always called the "Lord's day"? I think this signifies not only the change in day from Saturday to Sunday, but also acknowledges the theological "sea change" following our Lord's death and resurrection.

I'm glad you abandoned dispensationalism, but there was no need to abandon premillennialism. Something about throwing out the baby with the bath water...;)

Well God bless you dear brother. I have no problem with historic premillenialism at all. It's just what I see now by God's grace has lead me toward an amillennial view of things. Eschatology is not a top shelf item with me right now though.

In Gen. 18 Abraham is said to be following laws and statutes. What are they if not the law of God?

I remember that one sending me for a loop as well! How about Pink's observation in II, 2 how Noah consistently worshipped every seventh day!

Thanks from China too! I actually gained access to it (not a given, as much is blocked). Will try to get to it in the next week or so.

Thanks from China too! I actually gained access to it (not a given, as much is blocked). Will try to get to it in the next week or so.
They block sites in China? I think I'd heard that from someone, but never really thought that they could.

Maybe some kind of webpage smuggling is in order. I could save any site you or your church wants to visit, including links and pictures etc. into a zip file, and email it over.

My brain has started ticking...

Both the books are available in oline bible which is free to download by going to thier site. All of Pink's books as well as about 300 others by various authors on on it.

I see the Sabboth as fullfilled in Christ and not binding on the Christian. I reccomend checking out D.A. Carson's book. This is not to say that it is not a wonderful idea to set Sundays apart for rememberance of the Lord. I am curious to ask those that are strict Sabbotarians what code restrictions do you feel obligated to follow?

For those of you who, like me, have trouble reading anything online, I shall sing you a little advice: "I got it on Ebay..." :sing:

BTW brethren, I want to reiterate that I am not going to be argumentative about this and intend to allow the same grace that was given to me about this. A man must be fully convinced of this in his heart by way of the holy scripture. All I know is that I've made such a mess in years past of my christian life and theology that I want to endeavor to follow God's Word in every area of my life as God by His wonderful grace will reveal to me. I want to honor Christ with every fiber of my being. I want to forget the things which are behind and press forward toward the prize of the high calling. I desire all my brethren and sister's prayers and fellowship.

May I suggest The Lord's Day by Joseph Pipa and his sermon on the sabbath at sermonaudio.com

Thanks for that link young man. I had his book on my list of must reads.:up:

I always agreed with a Sabbath for the Christian but it did not really mean much until I read Pipa's book which provoked me to call it a delight. :) His sermon is a pithy summary of the book. ;)

Enjoy it brother!

James,
The Lord's Day is the best day of the week! May you continually find your delight in our Savior on His day.

Thankful to hear of this. Lord bless you as you continue to search his word.

Another helpful book on the sabbath is: Sabbathum Veteris et Novi Testamenti: or The True Doctrine of the Sabbath by Nicolas Bownd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back