Annual Presbyterians Do Not Celebrate Lent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read the comment about the Annual Presbyterians, my first thought was that there are a ton of Annual Baptists as well...at least in southern Georgia! They don't need Lent for their excuses. ;-)

My wife's stepfather is Catholic and he always gives up Diet Pepsi for lent. Putting aside for a moment whether or not it is proper to celebrate lent, I must say that when I consider what our Lord did for us, Diet Pepsi really seems to pale in comparison.
I go to a Catholic school (not one of my smarter choices in life) and many of the papists are giving up fornication for lent, that, and texting while driving.

Really? Giving up fornication for lent? How about fornication for life. Same thing happens in some mainstream evangelical churches; talk about how great God is, how religious they are, and spend there spare time watching p0rn and fornicating without a drop of remorse.

Really? Giving up fornication for lent? How about fornication for life. Same thing happens in some mainstream evangelical churches; talk about how great God is, how religious they are, and spend there spare time watching p0rn and fornicating without a drop of remorse.
If it was not absurd I would not have posted it.

Saw this on Facebook this morning.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones on Lent:

Giving up Lent

Lent, of course, is a relic of Roman Catholicism. One can easily understand it in such an organization – it gives power to the priest, and so on – but there is, I repeat, no evidence whatsoever in favour of it in the New Testament, and it simply leads to this show of wisdom and human will power. It is people adding their works to the grace of God, and this is essentially Roman Catholic teaching. Well, my friends, let us get rid of this, let us not waste our time with it. We are to be led by the Spirit always.
Martyn Lloyd-Jones (Born of God)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back