Anybody Here Play An Instrument/s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earned a B.Mus. in classical guitar before pursuing seminary. It's been a few years since, but I recently picked it back up again to give my weary soul a break from some of the more soul-less studies here. Working on J.S. Bach's Chaconne from the d minor violin partita. Thought I might pick up some old Dowland Fantasies, and Ben Britten's "Nocturnal After John Dowland" again if I can get the Bach back in shape.

I'm working on my AA in music right now, I play piano and I sing (soprano). I want to learn how to play guitar as soon as I find someone who won't mind my paying them with piano or voice lessons in return.

I used to play one of these . . .
gibson_sg_std.jpg

. . . through one of these:
marshall.jpg

(A Gibson SG Standard, natural burst finish, through a 1979 Marshall JMP 100 Watt MKII lead head, with 6550 power tubes instead of EL34's or 5881/6L6's, a la Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins ... I played the head through two Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinets).

[Edited on 3-28-2006 by WrittenFromUtopia]

Play a kit almost exactly like this (shy of two of the drums).

tamaRSs.jpg

Also have an electronic kit

Haven't played either two years!

Matt

I grew up listening to Roger Whitaker whistle. I have practiced my whole life trying to sound like him. I have gotten pretty close.

1) Whistler
2) Trumpet (I can play amost all the brass instruments ... Tuba, French Horn, Baritone ... I'm no good at woodwinds though).
3) Harmonica (Diatonic)
4) Harmonica (Chomatic ... Trying to learn, It's a whole new ball game.
5) Recorder (I Play Around)
6) I play the Armpit too :bigsmile:

Actually no one. A girl at school gave me a sheet of paper with the notes and how to play them, so I'm figuring it out myself. My only question is how to do sharps and flats?

Originally posted by ~~Susita~~
Actually no one. A girl at school gave me a sheet of paper with the notes and how to play them, so I'm figuring it out myself. My only question is how to do sharps and flats?

That's how I learned too. Keep in mind that in normal tuning, each fret is a half-step. Starting on the lowest note (actually the biggest string highest toward your face), open=E, first fret=F, second fret=F# third fret= G, and so forth. You can figure it out in one sitting.

Regular tuning, the open strings go from lowest (in tone, not position) E, A, D, G, B, E. So if you count frets up (from the neck toward the bridge), keeping in mind that each is a half-step, you have your note.

Vic

I grew up playing saxophone. I have been thinking of pulling it out again lately. I did play trumpet for six weeks before switching to sax.

I tried teaching myself to play guitar, but then I moved and sold my guitar. I would still like to learn to play guitar as well as harmonca.

Harmonica players, can you direct me to a good harmonica and course to begin with for learning on your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back