ARP or PCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing with both PCA and ARP is that they can have wide variance between individual congregations -- "It's like a box of chocolates..."

My husband and I were in the same situation about two years ago, and for us, it came down to that our local ARP was more conscientiously reformed (particularly with the new pastor that was called around when we started attending, so from what we could tell, the "future" was a theological path we were more comfortable with than some of our local PCA congregations), and we liked that there was a variation in generations (young and old), as well as clear ways in which we could serve. I think there's something to be said of a church whose demographic is not skewed to any particular generation (we're 20-somethings who felt very at home in a church with mixed generations, moreso than in some of our past experiences in churches with mostly 20-30 somethings; it's been such a blessing that some of my closest relationships now, just 2 years later, are with women three times my age, and young women half-mine; it has been a tremendous thing). I also think it's worth considering not just what you "receive" as a member, but also what ways you can contribute and serve the body, both you and your family. It was helpful for us to be introspective and really consider the needs of the church we were going into (possibly), and if we could actually meet some of those needs. That of course isn't the sole reason to attend a church, but I think it can help to be intentional about something like that--already considering the church's needs can help you to imagine what your role may be in becoming a part of it, and whether you are able and want to meet that.

Having a confessional approach to ecclesiology saves the ordinary Christian from agonising about whether or not he belongs to a particular congregation that is the purest of the pure (Westminster Confession 25.4). There is no sin for you in attending either of these congregations provided that they do not require you to do anything unbiblical in order to be a member.

Acknowledging the above point that both churches profess the true Reformed religion, administer the sacraments, and uphold church discipline "more or less purely", I think that it may be expedient to give more consideration to the PCA congregation.

There are practical advantages to belonging to a bigger denomination and a congregation with more people in attendance. For one thing, you have the potential to influence more people for good in a larger church, while, conversely, you will probably have more people to encourage you when you need it. It is worth remembering that the church is not merely about you, but also about how you can employ the gifts that God has given you for the edification of Christ's body.

The thing with both PCA and ARP is that they can have wide variance between individual congregations -- "It's like a box of chocolates..."

My husband and I were in the same situation about two years ago, and for us, it came down to that our local ARP was more conscientiously reformed (particularly with the new pastor that was called around when we started attending, so from what we could tell, the "future" was a theological path we were more comfortable with than some of our local PCA congregations), and we liked that there was a variation in generations (young and old), as well as clear ways in which we could serve. I think there's something to be said of a church whose demographic is not skewed to any particular generation (we're 20-somethings who felt very at home in a church with mixed generations, moreso than in some of our past experiences in churches with mostly 20-30 somethings; it's been such a blessing that some of my closest relationships now, just 2 years later, are with women three times my age, and young women half-mine; it has been a tremendous thing). I also think it's worth considering not just what you "receive" as a member, but also what ways you can contribute and serve the body, both you and your family. It was helpful for us to be introspective and really consider the needs of the church we were going into (possibly), and if we could actually meet some of those needs. That of course isn't the sole reason to attend a church, but I think it can help to be intentional about something like that--already considering the church's needs can help you to imagine what your role may be in becoming a part of it, and whether you are able and want to meet that.
Thank you very much for this post. This, and another post, have definitely caused me to "switch gears" with the way I have been approaching this situation.

Having a confessional approach to ecclesiology saves the ordinary Christian from agonising about whether or not he belongs to a particular congregation that is the purest of the pure (Westminster Confession 25.4). There is no sin for you in attending either of these congregations provided that they do not require you to do anything unbiblical in order to be a member.

Acknowledging the above point that both churches profess the true Reformed religion, administer the sacraments, and uphold church discipline "more or less purely", I think that it may be expedient to give more consideration to the PCA congregation.

There are practical advantages to belonging to a bigger denomination and a congregation with more people in attendance. For one thing, you have the potential to influence more people for good in a larger church, while, conversely, you will probably have more people to encourage you when you need it. It is worth remembering that the church is not merely about you, but also about how you can employ the gifts that God has given you for the edification of Christ's body.
Yes and amen. Thanks for the reply.

@TheBruisedReed You left out something important - what does your wife think?
A most important thing indeed! At the start of our visits, she was very excited about the more contemporary style to be found at the PCA church. But, after visiting the ARP church, I believe she is leaning more in that direction. It was kind of awesome to hear her say, "I did not realize how much I love expository preaching, and how much I missed the creeds." (Super proud moment for me!)
Another thing to consider is that she tends to be a bit more introverted. We both believe that the smaller church would make it much easier for her to "plug-in", get to know people, and get involved in service.

I sympathize on the issue of contemporary worship, but I've been a member of a tiny church, a large church and a very large church. A tiny church is going to need most of its resources to survive. Large churches also soak up a lot of resources, but generally they are better positioned to impact the community and the world.

Which church is more faithful to the RPW? Which church could you do more service to? After all, being a servant is far more important than being served and made comfortable. Of course I’m ARP lol. God bless and keep you young man. Btw, most of the time you’re safer with people older in the faith. Not all the time but most of the time.

I'm obviously biased here but the Deaconess thing is an odd particular to focus on in consideration of all the other things noted about the ARP Church.

The ARP is headed in the exact opposite direction of the PCA on that issue, and the number of congregations with them is small, and getting smaller.

It's been noted that your opportunities to serve are an important factor. Remember that one service you provide to the church is financial support. Does the pastor of either congregation have to work outside the ministry to put food on the table? Could your financial contributions help secure a full time ministry for the congregation and the area around it?

I'm a lifelong member of the PCA.

Go ARP.
I agree ... I belong to a PCA that now sounds like the ARP...I suffered for years with "topical" preaching and watched the church become basically a non denominational congregation happy clappy ...thank God for a retirement and a session with the courage to return the church to its Reformation roots

I'm obviously biased here but the Deaconess thing is an odd particular to focus on in consideration of all the other things noted about the ARP Church.

The ARP is headed in the exact opposite direction of the PCA on that issue, and the number of congregations with them is small, and getting smaller.

Things got so bad at my PCA I sought out another reformed church.. in the most RC city in the US ... the only 2 were far.. one over an hour and the other 45 min away.. I ended up really liking the EPC Pastor.. They like the APC allowed each congregation to determine leadership "rules"

The church had bought out of the PCUSA and so leaned in that direction in leadership. At the time I attended they had an all male session but female deacons. They also held a joint Sunday school sometimes taught by a woman .

I had to make decision in leadership vs sound teaching. That Pastor was very reformed in his preaching and the SS confirmed the doctrine.

I was always uncomfortable with this but it was a relief to hear the scriptures expounded and actually have a pastor that had wonderful pastoral gifts . I never took out membership, and when the happy clappy pastor retired I returned to the PCA .

It is important to remember that as a member of the APC he will have input into decisions left to individual congregations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back