Best Seminary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen it. One issue is the cost at $325/ credit hour. It is an option.

Thanks,

Conrad[/QUOT

If budget is an issue...

Check out Haddington House. The course price is 200 bucks (or less).

Haddington House Trust

Kevin,
Thanks. I went there but there is only the link to by the book and to a catalog. Is there another site to see the programs, etc?

Thanks
Conrad

request the catalog, they will e-mail it to you & it has all the info. If you have any trouble PM me and I will forward it to your e-mail.

I know the website is terrible. It used to have a lot more info but I don't think that they have anyone to maintain it now.:banghead:

It has been a real privilege to read all these posts. I wonder why LTS (London Theological Seminary) has had no mention...is it up to scratch?

I too have personally been most interested in Whitefield Theological Seminary, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary & Reformed Baptist Seminary (which incidentally is also solidly reformed & extension based) besides LTS.

Please check out the web page for LTS & see for yourself what, to me, seems tops! It is also, while presenting both sides of the debate & having lecturers from either persuasion, ecumenical with regards to the baptism & church governance matter. This is for me a plus, as I am a Reformed Baptist & so often find far more in common with my paedobaptist friends than with those who too happen to ‘dip’!

Also Lloyd Jones’s ‘finger print’ is on the cover…it must be good!

God Bless
Glen

1. What in your opinion is the best reformed seminary and why?

You should check out Faith Seminary out of Tacoma Wa. It's not reformed, but most of the Professors are Baptist. Distinguished Prof is Dr. H Wayne House. Faith Seminary is one of the fastest growing Seminary in the US.

-MJ

Hi Kevin,

Wayne House? Isn't he a dispensationalist?

He was, but I believe he has moved away from from it. Next time I see him I will ask him then get back with you.

-MJ

1. What in your opinion is the best reformed seminary and why?

You should check out Faith Seminary out of Tacoma Wa. It's not reformed, but most of the Professors are Baptist. Distinguished Prof is Dr. H Wayne House. Faith Seminary is one of the fastest growing Seminary in the US.

-MJ

If any of you come out to Tacoma, let me know. I live there.

BTW, little Tacoma has three seminaries. (Actually even more, but they'd hardly be considered real seminaries, some are not even remotely Christian). Faith, Northwest Baptist Seminary (which isn't reformed, but has a pretty good library of reformed literature) and Western Reformed Seminary.

I've taken classes at WRS, they are affiliated and sponsored by the Bible Presbyterian Church and are solidly reformed. It's a small school, but accredited. I like the people there, but I can't say it has the reputation of the big name seminaries. At least one of the profs teaches there and at Faith Seminary too.

It's always been an amazing thing to me about Puget Sound area. It is one of the most godless areas in the country, pagan and humanistic to the core, yet there are a lot more good reformed churches here within a 50 mile radius than you'd find even in the so-called Bible belt. I feel blessed to be here.

BTW, little Tacoma has three seminaries. (Actually even more, but they'd hardly be considered real seminaries, some are not even remotely Christian). Faith, Northwest Baptist Seminary (which isn't reformed, but has a pretty good library of reformed literature) and Western Reformed Seminary.

I've taken classes at WRS, they are affiliated and sponsored by the Bible Presbyterian Church and are solidly reformed. It's a small school, but accredited. I like the people there, but I can't say it has the reputation of the big name seminaries. At least one of the profs teaches there and at Faith Seminary too.

Just to clarify: I'm sure Western Reformed Seminary is a great seminary, but their accreditation is through the Association of Reformed Theological Seminaries, and not through any of the recognized regional or national accreditation agencies.

The other two, Faith Seminary and NW Baptist Seminary, are accredited Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.

Just to clarify: I'm sure Western Reformed Seminary is a great seminary, but their accreditation is through the Association of Reformed Theological Seminaries, and not through any of the recognized regional or national accreditation agencies.

The other two, Faith Seminary and NW Baptist Seminary, are accredited Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.

You are right about the accreditation. Nevertheless, they do qualify for VA payments and federal funds through the State of Washington (I'm not necessarily sure that's a good thing), but for some it means the difference between going or not. As their website says: "Since ARTS is not yet recognized by the Department of Education, transfer of WRS credits to other institutions is at the discretion of the receiving institution."

Westminster

I think that Westminster Theological Sem. Is one of the best. Our Minister is a graduate from there. :up:

Hi R.Vic Bottomly,

I live just north of Seattle in Brier Wa. I went to Faith Seminary a few years ago. Graduated with an M.Div and decided to take a break with my D.Min. We moved and had another baby. Now things are settling down I am thinking of finishing up. I only have my dissertation to do, but that is such a huge task to take on. Not sure if we are ready for it or not. Which Prof from Faith teaches at WRS?

-MJ

Hi R.Vic Bottomly,

I live just north of Seattle in Brier Wa. I went to Faith Seminary a few years ago. Graduated with an M.Div and decided to take a break with my D.Min. We moved and had another baby. Now things are settling down I am thinking of finishing up. I only have my dissertation to do, but that is such a huge task to take on. Not sure if we are ready for it or not. Which Prof from Faith teaches at WRS?

-MJ

Dr. Jowers. My information may be dated, but he was there last year.

Mellen Author: Jowers, Dennis W.

Dr. Jowers. My information may be dated, but he was there last year.

Dr. Jowers is amazing. He arrived at Faith after I graduated. I audited one of his classes with a friend of mine. He got his PhD from the University of Edinburgh. He is a freak. If you have a chance take a class from him. Well worth your time. At Faith he is the Assistant Professor of Apologetics & Theology.

-MJ

1. Greeneville, by far. You'll get some spot-on old school southern Presbyterian theology.

2. Second choice is a toss up between WTC West and Reformed Jackson.

3. I'd stay away from just about everything else.

I'd stay away from just about everything else.

This is a major blanket statement to make. Don't get me wrong, I'll most likely apply to WSC first myself when I end up pursuing seminary, but it would help if you clarified what you mean by "stay[ing] away from" all the other Reformed seminaries. Is it just that you couldn't honestly recommend someone pass up the three you mentioned (which I could understand) - or do you have a specific problem with all the others? What about Dr. Beeke's school? MARS?

I'd stay away from just about everything else.

This is a major blanket statement to make. Don't get me wrong, I'll most likely apply to WSC first myself when I end up pursuing seminary, but it would help if you clarified what you mean by "stay[ing] away from" all the other Reformed seminaries. Is it just that you couldn't honestly recommend someone pass up the three you mentioned (which I could understand) - or do you have a specific problem with all the others? What about Dr. Beeke's school? MARS?

:agree:

I would definately put Beeke's PRTS up there as one of the "Ivy League" seminaries so to speak. Honestly if I could move it WOULD be where I would attend. If not then Westminster CA.

Mid America Reformed Seminary is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools. The faculty is first rate. If you are interested in seeing some of their work product as a whole, they have published a top notch "testimony" refuting errors of the NPP and FV accompanied by affirmations of Reformed theology. It is available at their website. I'd also commend any book written by their president, Dr. Cornel Venema. I'm currently attending a public lecture series at MARS given by Dr. Alan Strange on "Profiles of Four American Calvinists Who Made a Difference", which is wonderful stuff. {The four are Edwards, Hodge, Machen, and Van Til}.

I would definitely put Beeke's PRTS up there as one of the "Ivy League" seminaries so to speak. Honestly if I could move it WOULD be where I would attend. If not then Westminster CA.

Keep in mind that PRTS has Dr. Beeke, a Westminster Ph.D & Dr. G.M Bilkes, a Princeton Ph.D as the two main academic facilitators. To insinuate that the accademic standard of this school is somehow sub par would be irresponsible if any is dong so. Visiting profs such as Dr. S. Furguson, Martinus A. Bakker (Ph.D from University of Heerlen), Dr. Laurens Wouter Bilkes (Doctor of Philosophy from the Theological University of Christelijke Gereformeerde Kerken in Apeldoorn), and David Lachman, Ph.D from University of St. Andrews. The the list goes on to name a venerable "who's who?" of experimental, neo-puritan instructors (David P. Murray, Maurice J.Roberts, Geoffrey Thomas, Derek Thomas, etc). In my opinion, there is not another seminary like it anywhere.

You quoted me on that but my statement was meant to state that in MY opinion, or my CHOICE that would be THE seminary I would attend. I was referring to someone else who posted 2 seminaries & wouldn't mess with the others or something like that.

You quoted me on that but my statement was meant to state that in MY opinion, or my CHOICE that would be THE seminary I would attend. I was referring to someone else who posted 2 seminaries & wouldn't mess with the others or something like that.

Yes, brother. I was not accusing you. I agree with your words.
Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back