Which Seminary is Best on Languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Which Reformed seminary do you think is best for really mastering the languages (Greek, Hebrew, & Latin)?

Ben:

I think that we do a good job at Mid-America of teaching Greek and Hebrew (Latin is an elective). I am sure that some of the other seminaries represented here would do an excellent job as well (the Westminsters, for instance).

But most of us, at best, can only speak either to seminaries at which we've studied or taught (and that's only two for me--M.Div. from WTS and teaching at Mid-America, though I've guest lectured at several other seminaries). That is to say, I don't really see how this board, in any general way, can answer this question. I would say that one's perception of the way that a seminary teaches Greek and Hebrew should not be the most decisive factor in deciding where to go. There are other, more important factors to consider, especially since at least several of the Reformed seminaries require fairly serious study of the languages. Thus the differences between them need to be adjudicated on some basis other than their language study requirements.

Peace,
Alan

Thanks Dr. Strange. I've looked fairly extensively into the various Reformed options in North America and Britain over the past 5 years. I'm just realizing that for myself, I know that the languages are vitally important but I fear that I would tend to get through them without actually "getting" them, if that makes sense. You're right of course, languages are just one factor. Perhaps you could answer this question for me: what markers should I be looking for in trying to assess this part of a seminary's curriculum? How can I tell if they have a strong emphasis and rigorous standards on the languages or not?

Another good elective to look for would be Aramaic. I got that as an elective in seminary. Though it being close to Hebrew wouldn't take that long to learn it by yourself.

Ben:

These are good questions, because, though I noted that several Reformed seminaries retain serious language requirements/study, many (and I mean by that even Reformed seminaries) have significantly relaxed their requirements in recent decades.

One of the marks of such relaxed requirements would be the requirement of only one course in each language (or even one for both) in which you learn to use various linguistic tools and do not really learn the languages themselves. You would want to talk to the various schools, but the mark of serious language study would be several courses in each language and the use of those languages as the basis for all the exegetical courses in OT and NT. Additionally, such serious programs would either have language comprehensives in the Sr. year or have language components in the exegetical courses in which you must past exams in the Greek and Hebrew (translating, parsing, etc.).

We have this at Mid-America and certainly other Reformed seminaries do, but many that did in the past have departed from such, and some permit language study to be an elective for the M.Div. So, you'll have to go institution by institution and then look for some other way to differentiate among those of us who do take language study seriously.

Peace,
Alan

Very helpful Dr. Strange, thank you. And that's a good idea as well Andrew! I'll have to keep that in mind.

After Hebrew, I used "An Introduction to Aramaic" by Greenspahn. Came with flash cards. For the class, we just translated and talked about every section of Scripture that you find Aramaic.

I'm just realizing that for myself, I know that the languages are vitally important but I fear that I would tend to get through them without actually "getting" them, if that makes sense.

I think this is the most important thing you've written in the thread. It reminds me of a shameful attitude I had toward education well into my thirties of trying to just "get by" rather than truly absorb and develop a command of the subject matter at hand. "You get out of a course, what you put into it" may be a trite saying but is very true. You could get the grade or certification in many fields from many institutions and not be able to do what the credential says you should be able too. If you want to learn the languages and you engage in the behaviors to learn the languages then you will. You can probably take every course in Greek and Hebrew and "pass" and have little proficiency soon after you graduate if you so choose.

This is a little late but,

I can say that RTS Jackson is pretty good on the languages. I can't say how they compare to others, but I know that having Miles Van Pelt for the languages is wonderful. His method is not the same as everyone else, so that is something to always consider. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this summer (2015) he will go back to teaching both Hebrew and Greek. They are offered in 8 week intensive, introductory courses that are 6 hours credit for each.

If you are looking into the overall mastery of the languages, I think much of this is done on a personal basis by never stopping your usage of it. That being said, RTS-J also offers an emphasis in Biblical exegesis which includes the standard Hebrew and Greek exegesis classes (2 hours each), as well as 4 additional hours of exegesis in both OT and NT. This means more translations and exegetical exercises, which is also in addition to those done in the Biblical classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back