Car question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamalas

whippersnapper
Hey y'all, I have a car question for you since I'm not all that knowledgeable about mechanics (yet). ;) I have a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS that I bought in February. It's my first car and I've really loved it thus far but I've had one problem that's come up in the last month or so. When I go to start the car it will always start on the second try but it only starts on the first try about 40% of the time. In other words, more than half of the times that I try to start my car it just turns over and won't start until I stop and try a second time. Any ideas of what might be wrong with it and what I need to do to fix it? :think:

Next time you get in the car, turn the key forward to accessory without cranking it. The dash lights should come on and then off after some time. Wait 15 seconds or so, and crank it. If it starts right up, then your fuel pump just needs time to pressurize the line. Spend some time figuring out exactly how long you have to wait for the line to pressurize. If if you have to wait longer and longer over time, then your fuel pump is failing...If none of the above works, then there's much more diagnostics to do, but I would start with checking the fuel pump.

Brandon, that is exactly what I was thinking. I had a car do this recently, and that solved it nearly every time. It, without being there, could also be the starter. Years ago, I had trouble with the starter in an old Dodge truck. I know this sounds 'rednecky', but if the fuel pump isn't it, take a tire iron and tap on the starter ... that should get you through for a little while.

I was going to say starter. My old Chevy Blazer was acting just like you described. I changed the starter and all was well with the world.

The problem with the starter as being culprit is the consistency. When a starter is going bad it won't always start on the second time. It will be first, second, third, fourth etc... time, and be random.

If it is spinning but not starting, I'm thinking that it is NOT the starter. More likely the coil. Or distributor. But you might start with the fuel pump as suggested above.

Well I tried Brandon's suggestion (thanks for the comment by the way!) but it didn't seem to work. I still couldn't start it up until the second try. What should I do now?

Still may be feul pump, or a leak in the lines, or a bad check valve. Sounds like your feul lines are draining back into the tank. The pump will build up pressure after you wait a minute with the key on, but some of that may be air that must be released through the injectors before feul can reach the cylinders, hence the wait for ignition. Tighten all connections, check for leaks, from there it gets more expensive.

Just a thought, if it has fuel injection (instead of a carburetor), you aren't pumping the gas pedal before trying to start it are you? If so, you're flooding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back