Celebrating Christmas

Do you celebrate Christmas?

• Yes, I love to decorate and put Santa's everywhere, etc.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Yes, I like to decorate minimally.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Yes, I celebrate Christmas.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Yes, I celebrate the birth of Christ only.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Yes, but I am to lazy to decorate.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I am to lazy to decorate.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I detest this 'holiday'.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • No, I think most of what Christmas stands for is pagan, and therefore don't celebrate it.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • No, I think most of what Christmas stands for is pagan, but I celebrate the biblical part.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I don't know, I have deep theological concerns but I haven't come to a decision yet.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
(deja vu)

No. (but the church are attending at the moment is doing the entire Advent and Christmasstide thing)

Please Andrew, for the sake of peace on earth and good will toward men withdraw your question. Hurry, before it's too late! :(

OTHER -

I decorate like crazy. No santas or snow men, just lights, clear ones only. We have a tree but have gold ornaments and red bows and clear lights. I have quite a few clear lights outside with red bows at our front door and garage, on the clear lights.

We celebrate Christ's birth at our house with our yung uns. No santa or watching films about any of that, etc.

We have some folk down the street with blue lights outside with a mixture of red, green and purple. Not mixed on one string of lights but a whole string of each color. Doh!

As soon as I can get this reindeer up and running, I'm going to put him up on the roof with a big neon light.:deadhorse:

My pleasure; glad it is useful. I was unduly irritated by a silly pro holy day article that was rather bold in some comments showing ignorance of historical fact and one thing lead to another and this article came into being. I learned some things and it has been one of the highest "hit" articles at fpcr.org since 1999, so the time spent was worthwhile I think.
Wow, Chris, thank you.

As soon as I can get this reindeer up and running, I'm going to put him up on the roof with a big neon light.:deadhorse:
Have a sense of humour...I don't think any of us are up for another debate. I actually laughed at the neon light.

Yes I do celebrate. This season is my favorite time of the entire year trappings and all. I have many good past memories and look forward to the years to come when I, God willing, will sit with my (then grown) children and my (God willing) grandchildren in my home at this time of the year. Remembering the incarnation of the Saviour and enjoying each others company.

God bless.

We do celebrate it - it is simply too valuable a witnessing tool to let go of quite yet (the alternative would be too confusing to people here.) When we move back to Canada, we will may tone it down some. We open gifts on December 5th (Sinterklaas) to keep the 25th free and clear as a religious celebration - no gifts, just Scripture.

I don't celebrate it. My wife does, as does the extended family. I am the family scrooge. I continue to tell my wife to study the issue as she is not convicted of the pagan connections as I am. I told her that I will wait until the HS binds her conscience. In the meantime, It's Santa's, snowmen and silver bells.

I don't celebrate it. My wife does, as does the extended family. I am the family scrooge. I continue to tell my wife to study the issue as she is not convicted of the pagan connections as I am. I told her that I will wait until the HS binds her conscience. In the meantime, It's Santa's, snowmen and silver bells.

I am in the same boat Scott only in reverse. My husband is not fully on board yet, I know that he has doubts since I fully explained my problems especially with the Christmas tree. I have decided that I just can't stand it any longer so I am the scrooge in my house this year. I will have nothing to do with the tree this year. I have come to despise the tree more than any other thing about it. I read that verse in Jeremiah and I cringe. I had to stop my daughter singing "Oh Christmas Tree" the other day since it made me wince to hear my daughter singing praise to the tree!! :um:

I voted "not sure but have deep theological issues." I am waiting a while to make sure I am not just jumping on a bandwagon or having a knee jerk reaction. This is the second year I have struggled with it and my conviction has only been strengthened. The only thing I do like is that eggnog is available in stores and I really like eggnog lattes. Yum!

(deja vu)

No. (but the church are attending at the moment is doing the entire Advent and Christmasstide thing)

Colleen,

If you don't mind me asking, have either you or your husband ever felt any inclination to speak out against what your church is doing? (I assume from your use of the word 'Christmass' and my vague recollection from older threads that you think it is wrong)

We have a nice big tree in our apartment (fake of course, this is Japan) and stockings hanging by the door. I enjoy the cultural, private celebration of the season and believe it is adiaphora.

I am in the same boat Scott only in reverse. My husband is not fully on board yet, I know that he has doubts since I fully explained my problems especially with the Christmas tree. I have decided that I just can't stand it any longer so I am the scrooge in my house this year. I will have nothing to do with the tree this year. I have come to despise the tree more than any other thing about it. I read that verse in Jeremiah and I cringe. I had to stop my daughter singing "Oh Christmas Tree" the other day since it made me wince to hear my daughter singing praise to the tree!! :um:

I voted "not sure but have deep theological issues." I am waiting a while to make sure I am not just jumping on a bandwagon or having a knee jerk reaction. This is the second year I have struggled with it and my conviction has only been strengthened. The only thing I do like is that eggnog is available in stores and I really like eggnog lattes. Yum!

Do you 'wince' when you hear family members using the names of the days of the week?

Colleen,

If you don't mind me asking, have either you or your husband ever felt any inclination to speak out against what your church is doing? (I assume from your use of the word 'Christmass' and my vague recollection from older threads that you think it is wrong)

We are new there. The past year we have attended four different church denoms (all Presbyterian) and have run out (unless we want to try a CREC or PCUSA). We're not in a position to speak out. We will continue here until something opens up. Until then, we must simply bear with it so as to meet on Lord's Day and counter teach our children at home. Right now hubby is being used of this curch in an area the church has little experience in and has asked for his help. But it is showing us more things that the church is involved in that baffle us considering the denomination as a whole.

I don't really want to say more than that...there are wonderful ppl there and the sermons are usually excellent. Several of us will be meeting with a fellow PB member to discuss things soon.

(aiaiai, hubby was just home for lunch and informed me that he just found out that a good portion of this church believes in the rapture due to the integration of a reformed baptist church that fell apart several years back...this is not normal for this denomination and I knew they were using non reformed materials in their children's programs on wednesdays, the reason we quit going on wednesdays)

Last edited:
Do you 'wince' when you hear family members using the names of the days of the week?

No, but I would if they started singing praise to any of them. :um: Just because some things are unavoidable does not give us license not to avoid the things we can.

No, but I would if they started singing praise to any of them. :um: Just because some things are unavoidable does not give us license not to avoid the things we can.

you have heard of "poetry" right? That song (like many others) uses a poetic device to personify an inanimate object. It certainly does NOT "praise" a tree!

Do you really honestly believe that people are worshipping a tree???

On-line I can't 'read' your body/face so I am asking you in all candour, you did mean that "tounge in cheek" right?

you have heard of "poetry" right? That song (like many others) uses a poetic device to personify an inanimate object. It certainly does NOT "praise" a tree!

On-line I can't 'read' your body/face so I am asking you in all candour, you did mean that "tounge in cheek" right?
I doubt it was tongue in cheek. Poetry is one thing, but the song is actually sung TO the tree. I spent some of my childhood on the west coast. In K I was forced to sing to the tree, to dance around a maypole and welcome in the seasons in quite pagans ways and festivities. I despise that song myself.

You tell me.

Praise–noun:
1. the act of expressing approval or admiration; commendation; laudation.
2. the offering of grateful homage in words or song, as an act of worship: a hymn of praise to God.
3. the state of being approved or admired: The king lived in praise for many years.
4. Archaic. a ground for praise, or a merit.
–verb (used with object) 5. to express approval or admiration of; commend; extol.
6. to offer grateful homage to (God or a deity), as in words or song.

Lyrics:

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree,
How steadfast are your branches!
Your boughs are green in summer's clime
And through the snows of wintertime.

What happiness befalls me?
When off at joyous Christmastime
Your form inspires my song and rhyme.
What happiness befalls me ?

Your boughs can teach a lesson.
That constant faith and hope sublime
Lend strength and comfort through all time.
Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Chirstmas Tree,
Your boughs can teach a lesson

This tree inspires, teaches, makes one happy, and is steadfast.
barf.gif

You tell me.

Praise–noun:
1. the act of expressing approval or admiration; commendation; laudation.
2. the offering of grateful homage in words or song, as an act of worship: a hymn of praise to God.
3. the state of being approved or admired: The king lived in praise for many years.
4. Archaic. a ground for praise, or a merit.
–verb (used with object) 5. to express approval or admiration of; commend; extol.
6. to offer grateful homage to (God or a deity), as in words or song.

Lyrics:

Your boughs are green in summer's clime
And through the snows of wintertime.

When off at joyous Christmastime
Your form inspires my song and rhyme.
What happiness befalls me ?

That constant faith and hope sublime
Lend strength and comfort through all time.
Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Chirstmas Tree,
Your boughs can teach a lesson

This tree inspires, teaches, makes one happy, and is steadfast.
barf.gif

I guess that is one tree that will escape the chainsaw.:lol:

{The poll need an option "I celebrate Xmas for cultural reasons but I keep Christ out of it."}

Well, I kind of agree with this in a way...

Since Christmas is a cultural holiday I celebrate it... I don't really try to separate myself from my family or culture... I don't see the day as being any more holy than the next.

And I celebrate the birth and resurrection of Christ just the same as I do every day of the year. In fact, this year since Christmas Eve happens to fall on the Lord's day, I will be resting and celebrating Christ's resurrection since that is what we do each Sunday. :)

Just a side note- I am sick and tired of hearing about how as Christians we need to take a stand against "Happy Holidays" and make sure to always say "Merry Christmas." :banghead: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back