Christianity and logic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "laws" of Logic apply to man, because we think according to those laws, or at least should. The reason they don't "apply" to God is because God's rationality is different than ours, as finite men. We think with succession, and in a finite manner, while God's thoughts are immediate, eternal. God does not need to "rationalize" something, using the "laws of logic" because God IS reason.
The "laws" of Logic are what is communicated to us from God in Creation, so that we, as His creatures, can attempt to think rationally as God thinks, but in a different manner (that is, finite and with succession). Rationality is a communicable attribute, but, as with the others, it is communicated to us in a way that is different than how God employs such.

While I want to agree with the above I still would like to know if we´re on the same page. Is rationality defined as being in conformity with the laws of logic (for Paul´s benefit, Aristotelian) or do you mean something else entirely? If you mean being in conformity with the laws of logic then when you say God is reason (minor point; I think you might have meant reason is God) wouldn´t this be the same as saying logic is God? If not, why not? Finally, if logic is God and this is a communicable attribute then wouldn´t logic be eternal and not created? Which brings me to your next point:

I call the laws of logic transcendental universals because ... they are universal and transcendent. I'm not sure what you mean by this. They are immaterial and are given to us by God. However, we are not on the same "level" as God, roughly speaking. So, no matter what is communicated to us by God, it is not going to be the "same thing" to us as it is to God, on a finite level. Applied to this discussion: God is rational. Man is rational. God is not rational in the same MANNER that man is, because God is eternal and man is finite.

Forgive me if I was not clear, but you said:

"œAs far as the "laws" of Logic, I believe God "created" those as part of the temporal, corporeal creation, as immaterial, transcendental universals which man subsequently "discovered" through the reason which God projected into the minds of men in that creation."

Above you seem to be saying that logic (if that´s what you mean by rationality) is a communicable attribute. If that´s what you mean then I would agree, but if an attribute then the laws of logic are not created. The way I understood what you wrote above is that the laws of logic are created by God and are something men discover by virtue of also being created beings. It´s as if the laws of logic exist external from God out in the ether somewhere and on the other hand they are an attribute of God which are communicated to men by virtue of being created in His image. I don't see how you can have it both ways?

And, just so we´re clear (and because Paul is evidently getting paternal) ;) I´m not "œjumping" on you nor have I been. If it seems that way I apologize.

I think that thinking about the incarnation could help some. Jesus, the second member of the trinity took on certain characteristics that were not essential to him. (He would still have been fully God if he never came down to earth). So one would have to acknowledge at least the possibility of created attributes that can be taken on, that are not essential.

Yes, but I think you're failing to *want* to understand him and take the time to get everything all precise before you jump on him.

You should lay out his position, and have him agree to it, and then proceed to argue against him, if it even needs to go that far.

Definitions are priority, why waste time debating for 4 pages all to find out you've been having a definitional dispute.

The dispute has been over the idea that logic is created. I don't think this is a definitional dispute. But your thinking that I'm "failing to *want* to understand" Gabe is imputing motives to me which you can't possibly know. I have chosen to ask him questions for clarification as we proceed. I agree I could have laid out his position, or what I thought was his position, and have him agree to it and the argue against him, but I chose not to do this since I get the impression that he isn't particularly clear on what his position is. In this case I think your preferred tactic might been perceived as trying to fabricate a straw man at best or bullying at worst. I'm not trying to trap the guy after all.

Of course, if you think this is a waste of 4 pages then perhaps you should bow out. From what I can tell we seem to be making progress and we might yet be of one mind on this point. OTOH you may be right and this is just a waste time and 4 pages.:book2:

[Edited on 5-11-2006 by Magma2]

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
P1: God uses logic.
P2: God created man in His image.
___
.: Man uses the logic of God.

I think this is what Sean's position would be, but I'm not sure.

I'm saying:

P1: God is eternal, and all He does and is is therefore to be understood as eternal and "immediate."
P2: God created man after His image, but man is finite.
P3: God is logical.
___
.: Man is logical, after the image of God, but in a finite manner.

Gabe,

A few questions: You said that God created the "laws" of logic. Is God eternally logical (P3)? Did God create the Law of Noncontradiction when He ushered in the temporal order (metaphysically created)?

Don

Originally posted by Don
P1: God uses logic.
P2: God created man in His image.
___
.: Man uses the logic of God.

I think this is what Sean's position would be, but I'm not sure.

I'm saying:

P1: God is eternal, and all He does and is is therefore to be understood as eternal and "immediate."
P2: God created man after His image, but man is finite.
P3: God is logical.
___
.: Man is logical, after the image of God, but in a finite manner.

Gabe,

A few questions: You said that God created the "laws" of logic. Is God eternally logical (P3)? Did God create the Law of Noncontradiction when He ushered in the temporal order (metaphysically created)?

Don

Yes, God is eternally logical, or - better put - rational. He is not insane or contradictory, in other words. However, God does not "reason" using the "laws of logic" as finite human beings do, and must, because we must think in a finite, successive way. I wouldn't say God created the "Law of Noncontradiction" per se, but God communicated reason to man in the Creation, and we have "discovered" how to be reasonable; namely, in the form of the laws of logic, math, etc. Don't get me wrong, the laws of logic are not conventional, but they weren't written down in Scripture, either. While both God and man are rational, we do not use the same processes for rationality. God is eternally and immediately rational, while man must rationalize in succession and with finititude (is that a word?) -- in other words, the laws of logic. If we could be logical or rational the way God is ... well ...

:worms:

Originally posted by Magma2
I agree I could have laid out his position, or what I thought was his position, and have him agree to it and the argue against him, but I chose not to do this since I get the impression that he isn't particularly clear on what his position is.

So, basically, you'd rather be uncharitable, by not only not having a clear understanding of my position prior to engaging in this debate, but also resorting to ad hominem (I'm not clear on my own position, i.e. I'm stupid) against me?

:candle:

Above you seem to be saying that logic (if that´s what you mean by rationality) is a communicable attribute. If that´s what you mean then I would agree, but if an attribute then the laws of logic are not created. The way I understood what you wrote above is that the laws of logic are created by God and are something men discover by virtue of also being created beings. It´s as if the laws of logic exist external from God out in the ether somewhere and on the other hand they are an attribute of God which are communicated to men by virtue of being created in His image. I don't see how you can have it both ways?

Rationality is a communicable attribute, in the sense that man can acquire and use knowledge in a rational - logical - way. See Berkhof's chapter on the communicable attributes of God (which I quoted from above) for more detail of what I'm intended to convey. However, the "laws of logic" were not part of the Godhead, nor are they necessary for God to be rational. Why is this the case? As I have said and tried to emphasize, along with Berkhof who I find to be a reliable source of orthodox Reformed theology, God is eternal, and His rationality is immediate, eternal and non-successive. He does not need the laws of logic to be reasonable. Man, as finite and receiving the rationality after the image of God in Creation needs the laws of logic in order to be rational. We cannot just actualize reason in an eternal sense. It isn't just IS for us. We must think in succession, with finite limits, and this is expressed for us in what man has labeled the laws of logic. To think logically and non-contradictor-ally (I invent words, sorry) is to think how God in His very being IS, but we must do so within our own limits, necessitating the laws of logic. So, prior to the Creation (whenever THAT was), there was no necessity for the laws of logic, nor do I believe they "existed" just as there was no Algebra or Scientific Method in eternity prior to the Creation. God has no use for such things, being eternal.

Rationality is a communicable attribute, in the sense that man can acquire and use knowledge in a rational - logical - way. See Berkhof's chapter on the communicable attributes of God (which I quoted from above) for more detail of what I'm intended to convey. However, the "laws of logic" were not part of the Godhead, nor are they necessary for God to be rational. Why is this the case? As I have said and tried to emphasize, along with Berkhof who I find to be a reliable source of orthodox Reformed theology, God is eternal, and His rationality is immediate, eternal and non-successive. He does not need the laws of logic to be reasonable. Man, as finite and receiving the rationality after the image of God in Creation needs the laws of logic in order to be rational. We cannot just actualize reason in an eternal sense. It isn't just IS for us. We must think in succession, with finite limits, and this is expressed for us in what man has labeled the laws of logic. To think logically and non-contradictor-ally (I invent words, sorry) is to think how God in His very being IS, but we must do so within our own limits, necessitating the laws of logic. So, prior to the Creation (whenever THAT was), there was no necessity for the laws of logic, nor do I believe they "existed" just as there was no Algebra or Scientific Method in eternity prior to the Creation. God has no use for such things, being eternal.

Gabe,

I mostly agreed with your post directed at me but then this one confused me. It still seems like you are equating the "laws of logic" with deductive, inductive, and abductive reasoning. I don't think that God would have to reason ded., ind. or abductively due to the fact that He is omniscient. Thus it seems that these would not be necessary for God.

However, the "laws of logic" (Identity, LNC) seem to be necessary ontological states of affairs in all possible worlds (I would view these as being based on God's nature). Could God violate the laws of logic? Is He not subject to them (as I have defined them in the preceding sentence)?

Don

Ok guys, I think we're starting to make some headway, but let's please not let this discussion turn into personal attacks etc. Let's stick to the issue. I am interested in everyone's comments so far.

Don,

I appreciate your comments, I think your interaction on this thread has been helpful.

Paul,

I agree that people have not been using the terminology the same. Can we get some definitions on some of these terms? BTW, where exactly do YOU stand on this issue? I don't know that I can make it out from what you have posted (just guesses).

Gabriel,

I personally, would like to see some clarification on your post (especially the underlined portion):

He does not need the laws of logic to be reasonable. Man, as finite and receiving the rationality after the image of God in Creation needs the laws of logic in order to be rational. We cannot just actualize reason in an eternal sense. It isn't just IS for us. We must think in succession, with finite limits, and this is expressed for us in what man has labeled the laws of logic. To think logically and non-contradictor-ally (I invent words, sorry) is to think how God in His very being IS, but we must do so within our own limits, necessitating the laws of logic. So, prior to the Creation (whenever THAT was), there was no necessity for the laws of logic, nor do I believe they "existed" just as there was no Algebra or Scientific Method in eternity prior to the Creation. God has no use for such things, being eternal.

Sean,

Would you argree that God does not think successively?

1. The motives of man's heart are evil, continuously.

2. Sean has a man's heart.

3. Sean's motives are evil, continuously.

Scripturalism, at its finest!:cool:

1. Only God is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

2. Paul Manta is not God

3. Paul Manta is not able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

iii. My preferred tactic was to get you to understand Gabe's position, and not go all "Robbins" on him:

Quote:
From the Sudduth Philosophical Lexicon:

Not sure what that means, but I suppose anything is to be preferred to Van Tilian newspeak.

As for Sudduth, hasn´t he stopped whining yet?

vi. At any rate, I would say if you don't care about my attempts to make sure you're understanding a position, and not jumping the gun (an instantiation of the universal, "robbinessing a position"), then continue on the same path.

Yes, I don´t care about your attempts to make sure I´m understanding Gabe´s position, but I´m quite sure you´re endless Van Tilianese should have his head spinning at any moment. For what it's worth I´ve read some of your blogs and Dr. Robbins at his most terse and acerbic has nothing on you. Isn´t it funny that the things we dislike most in others often are feature most prominent in us. Sin is that way too. What was that you were saying about the heart?

As it stands, the post started out with Gabe saying that God does not think in a proces, but is eternally omniscient and others denied that.

Would you care to provide a couple of quotations from "œothers" who have denied the eternal omniscience of God? I´ve been following this thread pretty closely and I can´t believe I missed them?

Thus, unless our senses are deceiving us,

Senses have a tendency to do that. Maybe you should rely less on them.

So, basically, you'd rather be uncharitable, by not only not having a clear understanding of my position prior to engaging in this debate, but also resorting to ad hominem (I'm not clear on my own position, i.e. I'm stupid) against me?

Being unclear on one's own position and being stupid are two different things. I don´t think you´re stupid, but I still think your position is confused. Further, I don´t think I´ve been in the least bit uncharitable toward you. I´ve asked you questions in the hope that you might clarify your position, but, as I´ve mentioned, you have said things that certainly appear contradictory. Since I don´t play the Van Tilian mind-meld game where apparent contradictions magically disappear on the basis of nothing more than their say so (like a Van Tilian magic wand), some of the things you´ve said appear -- and still appear -- contradictory. To say that I don´t think you are clear on your own position is not an argument to the man, but to your position.

Here is another example of what I mean:

Rationality is a communicable attribute, in the sense that man can acquire and use knowledge in a rational - logical - way . . . However, the "laws of logic" were not part of the Godhead, nor are they necessary for God to be rational. Why is this the case? As I have said and tried to emphasize, along with Berkhof who I find to be a reliable source of orthodox Reformed theology, God is eternal, and His rationality is immediate, eternal and non-successive. He does not need the laws of logic to be reasonable. . . To think logically and non-contradictor-ally (I invent words, sorry) is to think how God in His very being IS, but we must do so within our own limits, necessitating the laws of logic. So, prior to the Creation (whenever THAT was), there was no necessity for the laws of logic, nor do I believe they "existed" just as there was no Algebra or Scientific Method in eternity prior to the Creation. God has no use for such things, being eternal.

In order to calm Paul let me try and repeat back what you´ve just said in my own words. But first how about a definition so that Paul will be both calm and happy:

Logical; (1) : of, relating to, involving, or being in accordance with logic (2) : skilled in logic b : formally true or valid : ANALYTIC, DEDUCTIVE:

To think logically is to think like God thinks. To think logically necessitates the laws of logic. So far so good. The thoughts of God´s mind do not conform to the laws of logic. However, God is rational, but the laws of logic are not part of His eternal and immutable mind. OTOH, God´s rationality is a communicable attribute, but rationality in the Godhead does not necessitate the laws of logic. Therefore, I have no idea what this attribute is which is supposedly communicated to man?

OTOH I quite agree that God has no use for the scientific method since, while obviously useful for man, it is a tissue of logical fallacies and can provide no knowledge of anything at all. I guess you can say, no fallacy is of the truth. Or, to put it another way, if God has expressed his mind to us in Scripture by means of logical fallacies would we have any warrant to call God the Truth?

Don asks; "œCould God violate the laws of logic? Is He not subject to them . . . ?" It would seem He is. The Scriptures tell us that God cannot lie and no lie is of the truth. Further, since Paul is calm now (and presumably happy, although after this citation I´m sure he won´t be), let me provide a quote from Gordon Clark´s piece, God and Logic:

In thinking about God, Calvinists almost immediately repeat the Shorter Catechism and say, "God is a spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable." Perhaps we do not pause to clarify our ideas of spirit, but hurry on to the attributes of "wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth." But pause: Spirit, Wisdom, Truth. Psalm 31:5 addresses God as "O Lord God of truth." John 17:3 says," This is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God...." 1 John 5:6 says, "the Spirit is truth." Such verses as these indicate that God is a rational, thinking being whose thought exhibits the structure of Aristotelian logic . . . To repeat . . . Logic is fixed, universal, necessary, and irreplaceable. Irrationality contradicts the Biblical teaching from beginning to end. The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is not insane. God is a rational being, the architecture of whose mind is logic. [http://www.trinityfoundation.org/journal.php?id=16]

Anyway, I do think your position is still unclear, but since you seem to be taking this way too personal, and in my opinion Paul has sufficiently fanned that fire, I think I had better stop now. Again, I am sorry you thought I was being uncharitable toward you. That wasn´t my intent. My intent was to be helpful.

"The law of contradiction, therefore, as we know it, is but the expression on a created level of the internal coherence of God's nature. [...] Christians should employ the law of contradiction, whether positively or negatively, as a means by which to systematize the facts of revelation." -Van Til, systematic theology

Exactly... much better than how I stated...

Good stuff G.H. Clark!

:lol:

It is good stuff. Amen. I did say I would bow out in my discussion with Gabe. You´re another story. ;) in my opinion you´re a smart man, but you would do well to spend less time reading your own blogs and read more Clark. Clark is easily the most important Christian thinker in modern times, arguably longer than that, and he was head and shoulders above his contemporaries in defending truth. Given your recent musings my guess is that you´d rather give that title to someone like Richard Pratt who also brings into doubt, with similar Vantilianese double-speak, whether or not the law of contradiction is an attribute of God´s mind revealed to us in Scripture and argues for limits in applying the law to theology. Pratt asserts; "œthe conformity of [some] biblical teachings to the law of contradiction may never be discerned by finite minds" [see, "œDoes God Observe the Law of Contradiction . . . Should We?"]. Of course, Pratt has no way of knowing this, but his point is clear, sometimes the law of contradiction must be abandon and logic must be curbed. Pratt continues:

We are called upon to believe the teachings of Scripture despite their mysterious nature [mystery here is defined as an apparent contradiction - SG] . . . It is insufficient simply to say, "œI believe we should always accept the results of applying our understanding of the law of contradiction." At times, pursuing this line of thought will actually lead us into error.

Notice, applying the law of contradiction to the Scriptures, at times, "œwill actually lead us into error." Further, it is our understanding of the law that will, per Pratt, inevitably fail us. Or, to put this same idea in Van Til´s own words, we are to "œembrace with passion the idea of the apparently contradictory." A better prescription for complete intellectual and theological suicide would be hard to find. There can be little doubt as to the root cause of the current justification controversy now plaguing P&R churches.

Regardless, this has been helpful for it seems clear from your remarks that you too think the laws of logic are the result of man made systems which may and often do contradict themselves (which explains why you were so gung-ho about charging the beach in defense of Gabe - can I hear a "œhoorah"!) . So let me ask, since you are correct and the various systems run into paradoxes and contradictions, which system do you employ when coming to the Scriptures? Would the answer be; whichever one enables you to reach your desired conclusion?

. . . What about modern symbollic logic? Boolian logic?

Since I agree G. H. Clark is "œgood stuff," why don´t I let Clark answer your question from the same piece I quoted above:

If anyone objects to Aristotelian logic in this connection"”and presumably he does not want to replace it with the Boolean-Russellian symbolic logic [not so fast Clark, it seems we have a candidate here who does - SG] "”let him ask and answer whether it is true for God that if all dogs have teeth, some dogs"”spaniels"”have teeth? Do those who contrast this "merely human logic" with a divine logic mean that for God all dogs may have teeth while spaniels do not? Similarly, with "merely human" arithmetic: two plus two is four for man, but is it eleven for God? Ever since Bernard distrusted Abelard, it has been a mark of piety in some quarters to disparage "mere human reason"; and at the present time existentialistic, neo-orthodox authors object to "straight-line" inference and insist that faith must "curb" logic. Thus they not only refuse to make logic an axiom, but reserve the right to repudiate it. [Frame echoes the neo-orthodox in his, Van Til the Theologian; "œThus, a paradox remains for us, though by faith we are confident that there is no paradox for God. Faith is basic to the salvation of our knowledge as well as the salvation of our souls." - SG]. In opposition to the latter view, the following argument will continue to insist on the necessity of logic; and with respect to the contention that Scripture cannot be axiomatic because logic must be, it will be necessary to spell out in greater detail the meaning of Scriptural revelation.

I suggest you read the rest of Clark´s argument. Beyond that, I give you the last word.

Paul-

Have you given any in-depth critiques of Clark's view of John 1 regarding Christ as "logic"? If not, do you know of anyone who has. I have heard that in Clark's festschrift there was a response to it, but unfortunately it is out of print.

Thanks!

Come on guys! Logic is just "fluff", lol. Paul, I watched your debate with Derek Sansone the other day and you dominated every aspect of it.

Originally posted by Paul manata
I've not done any, but I've also not done any in-depth views dealing with refuting the promulgations made about little elves who live in trees and make fudge cookies, either.

I don't know of any "in-depth critiques" other than what you mentioned, but, likewise, I don't know of many "in-depth" critiques on the tooth fairy, either!

Paul-

I don't understand what you are saying; I guess you are being sly and suggesting Clark's view requires no in-depth view, since his view is as pointless as non-existent beings. I guess I am a little slow.:um:

You may remember that I am not a Clarkian. I just thought you would have the resource I wanted. Thanks anyways.

Nice to see you back on the PB by the way; hope you are doing well.

Well, Scripture should be our authority, and so we should never abandon its *clear* teachings. Does this mean that we do not try to resolve the apparent contradiction? No, I don't think so. But, at the end of the day, if we've tried our best, what do we do? Do we say that X or Y must go, so as to save "rationality?" Or, do we submit to the Lordship of Christ, the wisdom of God, and admit that His ways and thoughts are higher than ours. [

I haven't read through all this thread so if this has been addressed already, I apologize, but this is important point I want to make.

When we find an "apparent" contradiction in Scripture, we must resolve it. We can not "embrace" the contradiction.

By definition, a contradiction is two statements that can not be true at the same time. If one is true, the other MUST be false.

When we have two proposition we determine are contradictory, then we have can not believe both at the same time. Either we believe one, or the other. If we believe they are a contradiction, we in fact are saying we do not believe only one of the statements is true. We may admit that we do not know which is true, but we can not then say we believe both are true.

We must not leave contradictions unresolved. All of the Word is true, therefore, no false statement is Scripture. If we have two contradictory statements, then one is not Scripture. So to know Scripture requires us to resolve contradiction.

So we can not believe contradictions, and we have a duty as Christians to to resolve "apparent" contradictions so that we may know God's Word. "The wisdom of God" does not contain contradiction.

[Edited on 5-15-2006 by Civbert]

... God is eternal, and His rationality is immediate, eternal and non-successive. He does not need the laws of logic to be reasonable. Man, as finite and receiving the rationality after the image of God in Creation needs the laws of logic in order to be rational. We cannot just actualize reason in an eternal sense. It isn't just IS for us. We must think in succession, with finite limits, and this is expressed for us in what man has labeled the laws of logic. ....

As a Clarkian, I make a distinction between the laws of logic, and the rules of logic (or more specifically, the rules of inference). The laws of logic are eternal forms of the state of things. It is "just IS" for us. The law of contradiction, excluded middle, identity, are the IS of logic. And that is the logic of God also, the same logic of man.

The rules of necessary inference has to do with the process of discovering eternal truths though rules of logical implication. This is the logic "that God does not need" in order to be rational. God still knows according to the "laws" of logic, but he does not employ the "rules of inference".

If all A is B,
and all B is C,
the necessary inference is all A is C.

Well all A is C was true before we made the inference. Even if we did not "know" the inference before we used the "rules" of inference to discover it, the "laws" of logic dictates that it is eternally true.

When we are thinking logically, we are discovering the relationships between things.

Creation uses the rules of inference to think logically - God does not reason in succession. He knows all A is C eternally. But the "laws" of logic are common to both God and man in order for man to think the things God already thinks. The "mode" of logic is different between God and man, but not the "laws" of logic.

Originally posted by Civbert
Well, Scripture should be our authority, and so we should never abandon its *clear* teachings. Does this mean that we do not try to resolve the apparent contradiction? No, I don't think so. But, at the end of the day, if we've tried our best, what do we do? Do we say that X or Y must go, so as to save "rationality?" Or, do we submit to the Lordship of Christ, the wisdom of God, and admit that His ways and thoughts are higher than ours. [

I haven't read through all this thread so if this has been addressed already, I apologize, but this is important point I want to make.

When we find an "apparent" contradiction in Scripture, we must resolve it. We can not "embrace" the contradiction.

Why not? Unless you wish to make the argument that unless we can resolve it then we must say that it is an "actual" contradiction. Unless that argument is forthcoming I do not see the reason for your plea.

By definition, a contradiction is two statements that can not be true at the same time. If one is true, the other MUST be false.

Alright but first one must affirm that a contradiction exists. The tension in an apparent contradiction can be relieved either by showing that the two propositions are not in fact contradiction given the background info or by introducing new propositions. The issue is whether one has the right to assume that the christian worldview has a problem if one is unable to work out fully the apparant contradictions. The answer is no.

When we have two proposition we determine are contradictory, then we have can not believe both at the same time. Either we believe one, or the other. If we believe they are a contradiction, we in fact are saying we do not believe only one of the statements is true. We may admit that we do not know which is true, but we can not then say we believe both are true.

And sinse we do not determine that two biblical propositions are contradictory, but only apparently contradictory, we should not have a problem.

We must not leave contradictions unresolved. All of the Word is true, therefore, no false statement is Scripture. If we have two contradictory statements, then one is not Scripture. So to know Scripture requires us to resolve contradiction.

Again your problem is with actual contradiction, since no one affirms that actual contradictions exist in scripture, we should have no disagreements.

So we can not believe contradictions, and we have a duty as Christians to to resolve "apparent" contradictions so that we may know God's Word. "The wisdom of God" does not contain contradiction.

[Edited on 5-15-2006 by Civbert]

We cannot know contradictions, but that says nothing about knowing things that only look like contradictions. Again until you marshall an argument that we have to consider apparant contradictions as equivalent to actual ones, there is nothing here to interact with.

CT

Originally posted by ChristianTrader
..We cannot know contradictions, but that says nothing about knowing things that only look like contradictions. Again until you marshall an argument that we have to consider apparent contradictions as equivalent to actual ones, there is nothing here to interact with.

CT

Why call something an apparent contradiction? Because the "apparent" meaning of two statements are actually contradictory. Maybe we don't know which statement is true and which is false because we are uncertain of the certain meaning of the statements, but if the apparent meaning of the statements is correct, they are contradictory.

In effect, there is no difference between an apparent and an actual contradiction. A contradiction is a contradiction. And when we think we have found a "apparent" contradiction, then the meaning of one statement is apparently false - and we do not believe both are true. It's impossible to believe two contradictory statements - apparent or otherwise. Once we understand that two statements are "apparent" contradictions, we in effect have determined that both can not be true.

(P.S. Edit)

The point is that if we can not "know" two contradictory statements are true, then we do not "believe" two contradictory statements are true. The fact that "apparent" contradictions "look" like contradictions means we do not believe both are true or we could not say it is an "apparent" contradictions. You can not believe two statements if you believe they are "apparently" contradictory.

[Edited on 5-16-2006 by Civbert]

iv. Now, a contradiction between two staements would be if both used the terms in the same way and had the same definitions, and where said to both be true at the same time.

Now, take:

3) It is morally wrong to stick needles in people's faces.

4) George stuck a needle in Tom's face.

5) George was not immoral for sticking a needle in Tom's face.

These three appear to be contradictory, right.

Technically they are contrary. 3 and 5 are can not both be true, but both can be false. So I know that either 3 or 5 (or both) is false (this assumes no equivocation). Therefore I can not help but believe there is at least one false statement between 3 and 5.

Originally posted by Paul manata But, what if new information is added such that,

6) George is a dentist and Tom was getting a tooth pulled.

We don't have a contradiction anymore 3, "

Yes you do. You still have a contradiction with "It is morally wrong to stick needles in people's faces." The contradiction remains, you have merely shown that the statement was false. Sometimes it is morally correct to stick needles in people's faces.

And so in Scripture God also has a secret council. There may be information that God has not chosen to give us. We know that God wold never contradict himself and so, contra the Arminian, Molinist, Open Theist, Rationalist, etc., we do not chop off, reinterpret, stretch, ignore, the clear teachings of Scripture just so that "man's mind may be satisfied.
This is not a satisfaction of man's mind, but of God's. We want to know what God's mind is on the matter. Since God does not contradict himself, then we know that when we think we have found a contradiction, then something is not right. God's word does not contain any contradiction. An apparent contradiction demonstrates that something that "appears" to be the meaning of Scripture is not Scripture. Something is false in our understanding - and we do not believe both statements are true as we understand them.

Adding more information (God's secrete council) could only make it clear what we misunderstand. But we need not wait until then to know that we misunderstand something when we find "apparent" contradictions.

Most of your statements apply to real and not apparent contradictions and so can be dismissed as strawmen. I know that they are not contradictions, but I will never reject a clear teaching of Scripure just because it does not make sense or fit some pre-contrived scheme I have imposed on Scripture.

This "pre-contrived scheme" you speak of is the scheme that Van Til affirmed as necessary to knowing God because God is logical. You can not "impose" on Scripture the laws of logic. You can only impose your misunderstanding on the teaching of Scripture. If ones understanding of Scripture entails contradictions, then one misunderstands what Scripture teaches.

I am thankful for the above. The more the Clarkian shows that his own mind is the authority, the more he brings that system in to disrepute.
Nice.

Technically they are contrary. 3 and 5 are can not both be true, but both can be false. So I know that either 3 or 5 (or both) is false (this assumes no equivocation). Therefore I can not help but believe there is at least one false statement between 3 and 5.

Hmmm, well I don't think that *no times* George sticks a needle in Tom's face he's not immoral, but that some times George sticks a needle in Tom's face are not immoral times. Hence, the contradiction.
Huh?? To many negatives! :eek:

Yes you do. You still have a contradiction with "It is morally wrong to stick needles in people's faces." The contradiction remains, you have merely shown that the statement was false. Sometimes it is morally correct to stick needles in people's faces.

But not with the entire set. New information resolved the apparent contradiction. One way to resolves contradictions is to add new premises:

But you did so by showing the premise 3 was false. Not by "embracing" premise 3 is true. True is: not all times is it immoral to stick a needle in a person's face.

God is all good and all powerful

If God were all good he'd not want evil, if he were all powerful he'd be able to stop it.

Evil exists

Therefore God does not exist.

But, if we add the premise:

God has a morally sufficient reason for the evil he plans or allows we do not have the logical contradiction.

The "problem of evil" is not resolved by the premise. The added premise only helps us see what premises are not true.

So, with Scripture we're talking about sets of beliefs. If two appear contradictory it may be that there is missing information, thus they set does not contain a contradiction. Leave out relavent info, then a contradiction is still possible, but we're not talking about that.

Since God does not contradict himself, then we know that when we think we have found a contradiction, then something is not right.

I don't ever think I've found a contradiction, just an apparent one.

An apparent contradiction demonstrates that something that "appears" to be the meaning of Scripture is not Scripture.

No, not necessarily. Both could be the meaning of Scripture, and more information makes the set consistent (just like my two examples). I'd have thought this pretty basic.

;) Yeah. Well basically, you are correcting a misunderstanding of what you thought Scripture meant. You can not reverse a contradiction with an additional premise. And if the contradiction is "apparent", then you must mean it is not the Scriptures that are contrary, but your apparent understanding of it's meaning that is contradictory.

Adding more information (God's secrete council) could only make it clear what we misunderstand. But we need not wait until then to know that we misunderstand something when we find "apparent" contradictions.

We might not understand *how* it plays out, or *how* it's consistent, we may understand the meaning of x and y (remember, which are said to be *clear*), though.

Bingo! "We might not understand". A clear contradiction is impossible. Clearly contrary or contradictory premises are not the teaching of Scripture.

However, I will give you a chance to show me otherwise by giving two "clear" and contradictory teachings of Scripture, both of which you believe are true. Show me how it is possible for you to believe they are "apparently" contradictions and are both true at the same time.

Of course, if you resolve the problem, you must change what you think Scripture means. If you don't resolve it, you believe that Scripture teaches contradictions. Or not if you're right you can show me two teaching of Scripture that you apparently believe can not both be true, but you believe are both true.

[Edited on 5-16-2006 by Civbert]

Honestly, I'm still waiting to encounter a Clarkian that doesn't turn me off with their approach to things like the above. While I find you guys generally very warm and Christian in other areas of the Board I find your approach pointlessly obnoxious and obtuse here for the sake of terminology. It's the same reason John Robbins turns me off.

Witness the analogy Paul gave:
3) It is morally wrong to stick needles in people's faces.
4) George stuck a needle in Tom's face.
5) George was not immoral for sticking a needle in Tom's face.

It was true as far as it went without modification. Even after Paul added that George was a dentist, you inferred from 3) that the statement declares it is immoral for all people. You offered to Paul that 3) and 5) are then still contradictory. But 3), in fact, does not have to be inferred to mean all people. People who are not dental patients are still "people". You prove Paul's point in fact about apparent contradictions by creating another one. In your haste to "fix" his analogy (instead of giving a fair hearing) you show how somebody can assume contradictions that don't necessarily exist.

Even if the analogy could have been more perfectly stated: Who cares? It's a silly analogy. You fight battles to the death on hills that have no strategic value. Give some ground dude!

You could have merely looked at the three statements and, being charitable and agreeable, understood with what he was trying to state. Give the three sentences to 100 people. Over 90 percent of them would conclude a logical contradiction. Paul knows it isn't because he's witholding information. The other 10 percent would view this as a riddle and might even figure out that anasthesea is to be administered.

He calls it an apparent contradiction because of how it is processed and perceived. You don't want to deal with the term in the way its used but, rather, want to haggle over the use of the terms "apparent" contradiction.

You just want Paul to talk the same way you do and call it something else, but you still cannot remove the mystery any more than he can to things that God has not fully revealed to us. Or maybe Clarkians have plummed the depths of all Biblical mysteries?

If you want to be received better then admit agreements where you can. I say tomato you say tomahto.

[Edited on 5-16-2006 by SemperFideles]

Originally posted by SemperFideles
...It was true as far as it went without modification. Even after Paul added that George was a dentist, you inferred from 3) that the statement declares it is immoral for all people. You offered to Paul that 3) and 5) are then still contradictory. But 3), in fact, does not state all if you read it again. You prove Paul's point in fact about apparent contradictions by creating another one. In your haste to "fix" his analogy (instead of giving a fair hearing) you show how somebody can assume contradictions that don't really exist....

No, it was Paul who said that there was an apparent contradiction here, I merely agreed. I did not create the contradiction, I assumed Paul was being truthful in saying the statements were contradictory.

The only way Paul can claim the statements appear to be contradictions is if the "apparent meaning" of the statement 3 is at all times it is morally wrong to stick needles in people's faces. Clearly is does not mean "sometimes" it is morally wrong to stick needles in people's faces. That is not an apparent contradiction.

Aside: In logic there are only four forms of statement: All, Some, Some not, and No. Statement 3 must mean logically - "at all times...", "at some times...", "at some times not...", or "at no time...". Since Paul said the statements were contradictions, then the logical meaning must have been "at all times". No other understanding of 3) would "appear" to contradict 5).

My point is, you can not go from an "apparent" contradiction, to no contradiction without changing the meaning of statement 3). This is true for any "apparent" contradiction. Either statement 3) is equivocation, or the contradiction is not apparent at all. And the subject is Scripture and God's mind. God does not equivocate.

And the more important point is, if something is an "apparent" contradiction, it is because we read the meaning of two statements as being contradictions. And so we must believe one or the other, but not both. You can not believe two apparent contradictions because they "appear" to contradict.

Originally posted by SemperFideles

You just want Paul to talk the same way you do and call it something else, but you still cannot remove the mystery any more than he can to things that God has not fully revealed to us. Or maybe Clarkians have plummed the depths of all Biblical mysteries?

Look up how the Bible uses the term mystery - and you will see it is always a case of something that was hidden, but is now made know. Mysteries in Scripture are not the things now hidden from us, but things that are now made know to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back