Colossians 3:1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
Colossians 3:1-3 says, "Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God."

What are the things above? Would that be heaven and the things in heaven? What does it mean to say that your life is hidden with Christ in God?

I am glad you asked this question. I have often wondered the same thing. Is my "real" life hidden with Christ, the eternal one that truly matters? Does this passage just mean we should strive to keep our focus there rather than being brought low by the troubles we have here?

Looking forward to a reply from someone much wiser and more learned than myself.

Davenant, who is always worth consulting says this:

"By the things which are above we must understand, in the first place, the kingdom of heaven, or the beatific vision of God, and those pleasures to be hereafter enjoyed with Christ our Head and the blessed angels, which neither eye hath seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, 1 Cor. 2:9. But, secondly and consequently, we must understand those gifts of grace which are the seeds of this desired glory, as faith, love, holiness, and all those means by which, as by an intermediate path, God would have us proceed to this mark of heavenly glory."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back