Doctrine of the Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidwex

Puritan Board Freshman
The doctrine of the trinity is that there are 3 dinstinct persons that all have the same divine essence. The Son is YAWEH, the Father is YAWEH, the Spirit is YAWEH. My question is this: Does each member of the trinity have their own mind and will, or is there one mind of God? This is an excerpt from GotQuestions that adresses this, and I wanted to know if this is true or not. My contention is that Tritheism states there are three beings, with more than one person, whereas the Trinity is one being, three persons. Thanks.

1592862390961.png

Will and mind is indexed to essence, therefore, one will and mind among three divine persons with one essence. This applies to the hypostatic union as well, therefore, the incarnate Son has two wills and two minds, one per each nature.

Will and mind is indexed to essence, therefore, one will and mind among three divine persons with one essence. This applies to the hypostatic union as well, therefore, the incarnate Son has two wills and two minds, one per each nature.
How did you come to this knowledge? Is there a verse you could point me to? I'd greatly appreciate it!

How did you come to this knowledge? Is there a verse you could point me to? I'd greatly appreciate it!

It’s really a matter of systematizing the verses you’ve already provided. If God is one in substance, then how can God have but one undivided will and mind? (Just like you’re one nature has but one will and mind.) Although there are three distinct modes of subsistence, that cannot undermine God’s one essence. The term persons can be misleading but it’s a perfectly fine term. One God exists in three distinct “persons” but being of one divine nature means one will and mind, lest God is not one but three, which your verses deny.

You aren't going to find a silver bullet verse. Some of these conclusions are logical deductions from Scripture or from what we know of terms like essence and person.

It’s really a matter of systematizing the verses you’ve already provided. If God is one in substance, then how can God have but one undivided will and mind? (Just like you’re one nature has but one will and mind.) Although there are three distinct modes of subsistence, that cannot undermine God’s one essence. The term persons can be misleading but it’s a perfectly fine term. One God exists in three distinct “persons” but being of one divine nature means one will and mind, lest God is not one but three, which your verses deny.
Okay, so will and mind are derived from being and not person? I've always thought that there were three minds that participate in the one being, so that they could share love amongst one another within the Godhead before creation.

Okay, so will and mind are derived from being and not person? I've always thought that there were three minds that participate in the one being, so that they could share love amongst one another within the Godhead before creation.

I see your point but maybe consider that God is love. This attribute of God is God, from which comes the doctrine of divine simplicity. Being an attribute it’s one. Yet the persons of the Trinity share this love-attribute; the attribute of love eternally subsists as one in three. Indeed, there must be an ordering of the one love of God, for the Father loves the Son as the Son loves the Father. But it’s one attribute with a taxis I’d say. Somebody stop me before I step into heresy! There’s only so much we can say.

I would recommend reading some good systematicians on the doctrine of the Trinity rather than GotQuestions. Start with Berkhof (he can be found for free online if you don't have him) and then if you want more, we can point you in a direction suitable for you. These questions have all been asked and answered (which should be encouraging, you aren't the only one who has wondered these things).

I've always thought that there were three minds that participate in the one being, so that they could share love amongst one another within the Godhead before creation.

Part of our difficulty is we sometimes read modern conceptions of "person" back into the ancient world.

This is an excellent thread. I just wanted to mention I just started reading The Forgotten Trinity by James R White. So far, it appears it is going to be a great resource. I would second Calvin and the creeds as well.

the best thing on the Trinity is Richard Muller's dictionary and just look up the relevant entries. Nothing else comes close.

You've probably considered these verses already, but these would most prominently come to my mind...

John 4:34: Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
Luke 22:42: (Jesus) saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."
Matthew 24:36: "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only."

These passages clearly indicate Jesus in his human essence has a distinct will and mind from that of his Father's. Yet as others have stated, He shares a divine essence with the Father (and Holy Spirit) - i.e. John 10:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back