Eating Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

Puritan Board Senior
Just curious, how many times a week to you folks eat out?

Are there any stewardship or moderation prinicples involved here?
 
Too much I can tell you that. The wife works 12 hour shifts, so we are big Cracker Barrell visitors on those nights. She's a marvelous cook and usually cooks on the days she's off. I'm not much of a cook myself.
 
I'm single, and can't cook worth a darn. I eat out at least once per day. A lot of times I'll try to save money by cooking steak at home or something like that. The only problem is it seems that half the time, there's something wrong with it (like too much grizzle to eat) and I can't even eat much of it, and then I've only succeeding in wasting money, when the intent was to save money. Oy vey!

A great "stewardship" technique is to try to eat at places where you don't have a waiter.... then you can save 20% by not having to tip.

Also, get water instead of a "real drink".

And I never order anything besides the entree: no appetizers, salads, desserts, etc. that runs up the bill.

At many places you can order off of the "lunch menu" at all times.

Last tip: save your most expensive restaurants for lunch time, and go to the cheaper places during dinner.
 
This could be applied to all life choices...

I know a family that won't eat out but once in a blue moon and labor hard in the kitchen.....and once told me that I and my wife ate out too much (4 years ago), but who had a HUGE vehicle and were paying it off at 600 per month.

They also chided me for spending much money on magazine subscriptions (back while I was in the army in the US) and books when they bought knicknacks and complained to me that they thought my house was plain. I told him that I had trouble reading nicknacks.

Somehow since eating out is consumable, we feel more guilty about it then buying something we can sit in our living room for a year or two (like a big tv or a knicknack).

Life is short; especially when entertaining guests and friends...eat out often if you prioritize it and like it. Plus, how much is a nice night out with your wife worth (especially if you get those gooogly feelings like when you first met...).


If you are going to scrimp, don't buy a tv and sleep on a mattress on the floor (like we did for years..it helps the back). Definitely don't buy a big new car. LIve cheap and really enjoy it when you do go out!

Good advice Trevor.:up:
 
We eat out more than I'd like us to. But it's so much easier to leave the mess at the restaurant. We don't think that Golden Corral is amazing or anything, but with their special, it only cost us $23. (This is feeding 6 people) It's an all-u-can eat bar, so the kids get filled up. And there is something for everyone. Best of all, I don't have to cook, and the mess is left behind!!! It seems like we go there once a week.

Then of course there is the quick Wendy’s drive through. When in a hurry, it's so cheap. We all get $1 sandwiches and/or salads. It's quick and easy, but not that healthy. Defiantly nice when your trying to make Wednesday night bible study on time!!!

I guess we eat out less than some, but I'd like to make it even less. The problem is it's so easy!
 
Twice a month or so. One of those is usually out for pizza. There's some awesome pizza places around here.

:cool:
 
Last year and for most of this year it was between 14-20 times a week. I did not cook at home a single time in ten months. Recently maybe only two or three times a week.
 
About once a week. With a baby on the way, stewardship does come into it, but most of that cocnern is taken care of by the cost of the standard winter out-to-eat-meal (not in summer; in summer it is referred to by some Western doctors as hepatitis-on-a-stick due to the lack of refrigeration):

30 yang rou chuars (mutton ke-babs, sheep on a stick)
4 nan (flat bread)

Total: 23 RMB (about $2.85USD)

Feeds six.

It may have Golden Corral beat for price, but one look in the kitchen puts most people off this sort of thing for life. I'd hate to see the state of my gut's interior - I'm sure there's more than just food down there...
 
There is? I thought that pizza ceased to exist outside of the New York/New Jersey/Philly area?

There's definitely a market for it. You wouldn't believe how many transplants there are here from the New York/New Jersey/Philly area.

The best places are run by transplants who did pizza up there.

Hey, we've got Sabrett hot dog wagons in Charlotte. Harris Teeter has Taylor "ham" (pork roll).

:banana:
 
Last edited:
Such sweet memories!

About once a week. With a baby on the way, stewardship does come into it, but most of that cocnern is taken care of by the cost of the standard winter out-to-eat-meal (not in summer; in summer it is referred to by some Western doctors as hepatitis-on-a-stick due to the lack of refrigeration):

30 yang rou chuars (mutton ke-babs, sheep on a stick)
4 nan (flat bread)

Total: 23 RMB (about $2.85USD)

Feeds six.

It may have Golden Corral beat for price, but one look in the kitchen puts most people off this sort of thing for life. I'd hate to see the state of my gut's interior - I'm sure there's more than just food down there...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top