Elect

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeamusDelion

Puritan Board Freshman
Who are they ? the 12? people of today? Did Jesus only Elect his apostles?

Hello, I am looking for a good book on these topics. I believe in the Doctrine of Election, but I would like to study it more so I am well equipped against the Arminian.

Grace and peace to you.

This might be a good start.

Westminster Larger Catechism 64

Q: What is the invisible church?
A: The invisible church is the whole number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one under Christ the head.

Eph. 1:20, 22-23; John 10:16, 11:52

They’ve yellow stripes down their backs to identify them. They’re the only ones to which we preach. They’re cold frozen and icy, too.

They’ve yellow stripes down their backs to identify them. They’re the only ones to which we preach. They’re cold frozen and icy, too.
My question wasn't who are the Elect, but a Book teaching on this subject so I could study it myself, being able to rightly divide the word of Truth. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for such resources.

James, I see you state that you hold to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. In holding to that, I would advise chapter 3 of our confession, as a great place to begin. The doctrines of grace are such an essential doctrine to understand; this was fundamental in my transition to reformed theology.

James, I see you state that you hold to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. In holding to that, I would advise chapter 3 of our confession, as a great place to begin. The doctrines of grace are such an essential doctrine to understand; this was fundamental in my transition to reformed theology.
Agreed. But I would go one step further and also read ch 7 on the covenant. In other words what is the relationship between God's sovereign decree and the doctrine of the covenant. This study will greatly enrich your study of God's great plan of salvation.

Agreed. But I would go one step further and also read ch 7 on the covenant. In other words what is the relationship between God's sovereign decree and the doctrine of the covenant. This study will greatly enrich your study of God's great plan of salvation.
Good call!

Good call!
Glad you found it helpful Jon. If you would like an example of a rich Baptist Covenant theology Tom Nettles biography of Spurgeon ['Living by Revealed Truth'] gives great examples of Spurgeon's Covenant Theology and how he links this with God's Plan of Salvation.

Thank you, I am well aware of the Doctrines of Grace. I been studying them a lot recently. I also been studying the life of Calvin. I will progress to the life of Spurgeon next. I will read chapters 3 & 7 (funny how they are gods numbers) right now.

Last edited:
Do you have any good systematic theologies you could use? Most of the good Reformed systematicians will have lots of good responses to Arminians. :)

I have John MacArthur's systematic in hard cover, but its called Biblical Doctrine then on my Logos I have a few I will upload the books I do have for you to take a look.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot2

These links aren't harmful they are just screenshots.

@SeamusDelion ,

If you haven't read the Canons of Dordt, that is also an exceptional place to start. Not only does it draw out the 5 points specifically against Arminianism, but it will also help to define what an (Remonstrant) Arminian is. Sometimes we apply "Arminian" too broadly.

Blessings on your studies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back