Face Paint - MakeUp

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Amish...I think there needs to be some understanding of their practice before we keep tossing them into the mix. Most of them dress as they do, simply because of cultural reasons nowadays. They are a subculture. For many, yes, they see themselves as better than others...but if you really understood the complexities, and even inconsitencies, of them you would understand that culture takes a stomping root over religious beliefs of modesty. There are even women that have left their Amish churches and still dress Amish...or left their mennonite church but still wear that particular church's kapp because of culture/family reasons. They don't want to be "cut off" of their family...something they have a stronger sense of than many of us.

Sue, I'm sorry that you have had such a negative perception of the headcovering practice. I hope that it is simply due to the manner it's been approached and not the practice itself. There are many of us here that headcover or have wives that headcover. But I believe the difference is in understanding the reason behind it vs "because it's on the to-do list". Those of us that cover all the time (I know myself and at least one other member here) yes, we take the risk of looking a bit odd. There is a balance in all things, but when it comes between a scriptural principle and man...well, Scripture rules out everytime. I will say also that there is a difference in carrying out the principle of covering in various applications (ie., doily, hanging veil, tiechel, snood, hat, etc) vs having your church prescribe a covering. Please understand that there is a balance in this area as well and to not toss the babe out with the bathwater ;)

I have a fairly large collection of jabots and I wear a different one everyday. Here is one of my church ensembles.

thmb_hw.php

;) ;) ;)
Okay, maybe it's just me, but I think that is cool looking :lol: I'm a historian at heart and have family friends that are historical interpreters.

It's cool looking but my understanding of all those hair length verses, etc., is that a man should look like a man and a woman should look like a woman.

'Manly' and 'frilly' are mutually exclusive terms.

LOL! Well, it depends...is he wearing ruffles on his sleeves also, with a hankie tucked within for his snuff box ;)

On the Amish...I think there needs to be some understanding of their practice before we keep tossing them into the mix. Most of them dress as they do, simply because of cultural reasons nowadays. They are a subculture. For many, yes, they see themselves as better than others...but if you really understood the complexities, and even inconsitencies, of them you would understand that culture takes a stomping root over religious beliefs of modesty. There are even women that have left their Amish churches and still dress Amish...or left their mennonite church but still wear that particular church's kapp because of culture/family reasons. They don't want to be "cut off" of their family...something they have a stronger sense of than many of us.

My point was not that they are deliberately being ostentatious but, in their queer modesty, they draw a lot of attention to themselves and undermine their desire to be modest. There are ways to dress modestly that people won't take any notice of and that's sort of my point.

The problem is, many of them have no desire to be modest. You should see how some of the teen girls sit outside of WM with their legs spread and arms flung about eachother. That is the point: for many of them, their dress is simply a habit of culture, not a sense of modesty, thus they make for a poor example ;) Oh, and you hit on exactly what they did INTEND for you to notice...to look different, to NOT look like anyone else in the world...that is what is important to them. There are several inconsistencies of theirs that point out immodesty, but to them that does not matter, what matters is they keep culturally separate.

And you are right, there are ways to dress modestly that people won't take any notice. But much of that depends on where you live and what your resources are :)

Last edited:
The problem is, many of them have no desire to be modest. You should see how some of the teen girls sit outside of WM with their legs spread and arms flung about eachother. That is the point: for many of them, their dress is simply a habit of culture, not a sense of modesty, thus they make for a poor example ;)

And you are right, there are ways to dress modestly that people won't take any notice. But much of that depends on where you live and what your resources are :)

This reminds me of a visit I made to the campus of a Christian university where they had a strict dress code which excluded women from wearing slacks. I was shocked when I noticed the wife of the president who was shopping in the bookstore. She had on an outfit that completely covered everything but her hands and lower legs, but it was so tight and revealing that it embarassed me. Right then, I realized that it's not just about the clothes, it's how you wear them.

The problem is, many of them have no desire to be modest. You should see how some of the teen girls sit outside of WM with their legs spread and arms flung about eachother. That is the point: for many of them, their dress is simply a habit of culture, not a sense of modesty, thus they make for a poor example ;)

This reminds me of a visit I made to the campus of a Christian university where they had a strict dress code which excluded women from wearing slacks. I was shocked when I noticed the wife of the president who was shopping in the bookstore. She had on an outfit that completely covered everything but her hands and lower legs, but it was so tight and revealing that it embarassed me. Right then, I realized that it's not just about the clothes, it's how you wear them.

I once heard of a man who was obsessed with his wife and daughters not wearing trousers, however, the same individual allowed them to wear mini-skirts.

BTW - how many ties do you guys have in your closets? My dh only wears one on Sunday and for other dress-up occasions, not every day, and still has an ENORMOUS number of the things collected over the years!!! It's comprable to a woman's drawer of cosmetics any day!

I wore a tie everyday to work for six years. You get used to it. That was when I worked in Princeton and Manhattan. Now that I work in the south I only wear a tie to church (or to the occasional presentation or dinner party).

In fact, after several months of working in my new office in North Carolina I was actually approached by my boss about the way I dress. I was still wearing my New York city attire (minus the jacket and tie) and yet that was still over doing it for down here! He advised me to get some khaki's. :scratch:

Hey, Khakis are top of the line for rednecks! The wife knows she's being taken out to a fancy restaurant (aka Olive Garden) if the hubby showers and puts on khakis! :D (and in my case, if he just freshly shaved his head)

Last edited:
Hey, Khakis are top of the line for rednecks! The wife knows she's being taken out to a fancy restaurant (aka Olive Garden) if the hubby showers and puts on khakis! :D (and in my case, if he just freshly shaved his head)

Haha, apparently!

Although I will put my foot down on some things - I refuse to give in to the pressure to wear flannel :scholar:

:)

Well, when you live in the north and work in a cabinet shop that is heated with a woodstove...flannel is a necessity, as is a beard. Now why a man wants a bald head in the winter is beyond me (okay, correction, my husband allows for a quarter inch in the winter).

A while back Ken Klein wrote this in one of his posts:

"I think that if people are educated about the object of their worship, their posture and dress will work themselves out. But, I don't think it works the other way around. You can't get people to focus more on the object of their worship by making them focus more on what they are or are not doing with their bodies or what clothes they are wearing."

Blessings!

This is the the key In my humble opinion to all of these types of conversations we have here. I can honestly say that everything I do or don't do is motivated by learning more each day about the God I worship, and being in awe of the lovingkindness, mercy, and longsuffering that He has shown me.

I think I am so sensitive to it because I was raised in a church that took God very lightly and I had no idea what he was really like. Sue I read your profile and it closely resembles mine. It is an incredible journey getting to truly know the only true and living God.

Well, when you live in the north and work in a cabinet shop that is heated with a woodstove...flannel is a necessity, as is a beard. Now why a man wants a bald head in the winter is beyond me (okay, correction, my husband allows for a quarter inch in the winter).

:lol:

Someone I used to work with would shave his head in the summer but would have a full head of hair in the winter.

All joking aside, I think we do have to be careful that we do not fall into idolatry or vainglory. I do not think we can legislate in matters like this but we must use discreation and wisdom. The Puritans would certainly have been concerned with people drawing attention to themselves or becoming self-absorbed in food, drink, or dress. Men and women should dress with modesty and not be decked out to draw attention. We must remember that the Puritans called for moderation in all things, even recreation and this is where we all fail.

BTW - how many ties do you guys have in your closets? My dh only wears one on Sunday and for other dress-up occasions, not every day, and still has an ENORMOUS number of the things collected over the years!!! It's comprable to a woman's drawer of cosmetics any day!

What does dh mean?

What does dh mean?

Urban Dictionary: dh

All I could think was Designated Hitter, and was wondering what baseball had to do with it!

What does dh mean?

Urban Dictionary: dh

Thanks for that Andrew, I was out of the loop on that one as well. I guess I'm not as hip as I think I am :) I don't know if you caught it or not, but the website described the users of the term in a rather derogatory manner:

On on-line discussion groups, abbreviation for "dear hubby." Less common: "dear husband," "dearest h*," "darling h*."

Frequent users include SAHMs [another new one for me; it means "stay at home moms"], Christians;any group with the right combination of insecurity, self-righteousness, and poor education.

Last edited:
Yep, you need up your lingo ;)

DH/DW/SO/DP
S/O
DD/DS
BIL/MIL/FIL/SIL
DSD/DSS
BF/BFF/GF
KWIM
In my humble opinion/MHO
NAK/AFK
LOL!

I've tried to post to this thread many times, but the words just seem to fail me..

I don't typically wear make-up, not because of any conviction, but my daughters have commented that it makes them uncomfortable to have men stop and take notice of me; which they notice happens more often when I'm wearing make up than when I'm not. But then, they don't wear it very often for the same reason, it makes them just as uncomfortable to have men stop and notice them, they prefer to stay under the radar of gawking men.

Sue, I'm sorry that you have had such a negative perception of the headcovering practice. I hope that it is simply due to the manner it's been approached and not the practice itself. There are many of us here that headcover or have wives that headcover. But I believe the difference is in understanding the reason behind it vs "because it's on the to-do list". Those of us that cover all the time (I know myself and at least one other member here) yes, we take the risk of looking a bit odd. There is a balance in all things, but when it comes between a scriptural principle and man...well, Scripture rules out everytime. I will say also that there is a difference in carrying out the principle of covering in various applications (ie., doily, hanging veil, tiechel, snood, hat, etc) vs having your church prescribe a covering. Please understand that there is a balance in this area as well and to not toss the babe out with the bathwater ;)

No, my perception of headcoverings is not at all negative although I haven't been convicted in that area. As you just mentioned, it's in the manner in which it is approached. This particular church is very works oriented - in fact, when the present leader of our former church was installed, his pastor, the pastor of the legalistic church, told our congregation that salvation was linked to keeping the law. It was like a bolt of lightning in my spirit - my dh didn't notice what was said and conveniently, the recording equipment wasn't working so I can't proved it was said. The term I used, "doily heads" signifies much more than the mere fact that their women cover - it's a whole mindset and lifestyle - they're almost like Stepford wives. The world sees the exterior, but who knows what is going on underneath. I daily thank the Lord for delivering my husband and myself from what my former church is becoming.

Oh, btw - I love cape dresses! There are a lot of Mennonite women who attend the yearly CHEO convention and I always thought they were beautiful in their pastel print dresses.

I totally understand the whole Stepford Wives thing. I've seen that kind of behaviour modification in more than one church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back