At what point does something's ancestral connection with a pagan ritual become irrelevant to is morality?
Because if I remember correctly, the word "luck" has pagan origins as well. Why is that "okay" and Halloween isn't?
Even
if the ancestral connection is so lost as to be meaningless now, the RCC connection is relatively recent and their attachment to it also places it under false religion and popery. Either way, you don't get to celebrate it.
Oh, yes I do -- until I've been convinced that the modern day practice of reading ghost stories and handing out candy is in any way connected (other than by old custom) to paganism. I would not have celebrated Halloween in the 17th century because our modern idea of Halloween as a festival for spooky fiction didn't even exist back then. But Halloween is a very different kettle of fish now and it is disingenous to pretend otherwise. Or do you not approve of celebrating St. Valentine's Day either?
p3yak said:
It's quite likely that you're the only one. I don't much enjoy Gothic fiction. Where should one begin?
If you're thinking of Anne Rice, the Twilight series, or the current crop of Gothic fiction in general, then I don't much enjoy it either. However, the old eighteenth and nineteenth-century novels are really first-rate. I would recommend:
Charles Robert Maturin's Melmoth the Wanderer
Matthew Lewis's The Monk
William Beckford's Vathek
Charles Brockden Brown's Wieland
Maturin's is the best, particularly from a Reformed point-of-view, but they're all well-written and worth a look. If you do decide to hunt down this genre, though, be warned: there are a few skunks out there, in particular James Hogg's
Confessions of a Justified Sinner which has one of the most unfair and repulsive representations of Calvinism and predestinarians that I have ever laid eyes on.