John MacArthur is 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
His birthday is today (born on June 19, 1939).

No, he's not completely Reformed, but his 50-year ministry at Grace Community Church of the Valley in Sun Valley, California has had not a whiff of any of the usual scandals about it - neither sexual nor financial. He's an excellent preacher from whom I've learned a lot over the years (I first discovered him in 1980).

He gave up preaching the evening service a couple of years ago, possibly due to lack of energy. And, perhaps, he did it to get the congregation used to the idea of him not being around.

Now that he's completed his last full decade of ministry (ages 70-80), I expect he'll probably retire sometime in, say, the next five years.

He's not perfect. He's a sinner, just like all the rest of us. But, I've valued his ministry for many years.

I also appreciate his ministry.

His polemical works on Lordship Salvation, the Charismatic movement, pragmatism in the church, and Christian psychology (so-called) have been a help to the church.

I think the idea of no scandals had to do with John's personal life. He's had no personal scandals, either moral or financial.

I think the idea of no scandals had to do with John's personal life. He's had no personal scandals, either moral or financial.
And that is saying something these days. We should all pray that Dr. MacArthur finishes his race well, to the glory of God.

He gave up preaching the evening service a couple of years ago, possibly due to lack of energy. And, perhaps, he did it to get the congregation used to the idea of him not being around.

He's preaching now as I type this. Evidently he hasn't totally given up preaching in the evenings, but he preaches less than half the time now. Looking at their website just now, it looks like he may not have preached much more than half the time in the mornings either. (Whether a message was preached in the morning or evening is not stated.) It looks like he's preached both services only a few times this year.

Typically, others on staff will preach when he doesn't. I haven't watched regularly in several years, but those who have preached regularly include Mike Riccardi, Abner Chou, and Austin Duncan. They have notable guest speakers from time to time.

I don't recall seeing anyone in the pulpit who wasn't already a seminary graduate. I think that would be very rare if it ever happens at all.

He also celebrated his 50th Anniversary at Grace earlier this year.

Last edited:
His birthday is today (born on June 19, 1939).

No, he's not completely Reformed, but his 50-year ministry at Grace Community Church of the Valley in Sun Valley, California has had not a whiff of any of the usual scandals about it - neither sexual nor financial. He's an excellent preacher from whom I've learned a lot over the years (I first discovered him in 1980).

Now that he's completed his last full decade of ministry (ages 70-80), I expect he'll probably retire sometime in, say, the next five years.

He's not perfect. He's a sinner, just like all the rest of us. But, I've valued his ministry for many years.
I have learned quite a bit from him myself and I must agree, he is an excellent preacher. I just have one question, how is he not "completely reformed"? I'm asking this in sincerity. I'm new to reformed theology and the statement caught my eye.

I don't know if I've ever found a site this helpful, Puritan Board has got it going on! lol I'll check these out. Familiar with the Five Points and absolutely agree with them, I'm becoming familiar with Covenant Theology and I'm sure the provided links will help further my familiarity. Much appreciated

I have learned quite a bit from him myself and I must agree, he is an excellent preacher. I just have one question, how is he not "completely reformed"? I'm asking this in sincerity. I'm new to reformed theology and the statement caught my eye.

He has a Reformed soteriology, but he calls himself a "leaky dispensationalist" - that is, he doesn't hold to the traditional 7 dispensations of classical dispensationalism, but does still hold to the classic dispensationalist distinction between Israel and the church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back