Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hypothetical Situation:
A person is scheduled to be baptized on the 2nd week of the month. The church has their monthly Lord's Supper on the 1st week of the month. Should the person be allowed to partake in the Lord's Supper before they're baptized? Why/Why Not?
Ray, I hadn't thought about that. Its purely hypothetical, so let's say (hypothetically) that its a baptist church and the baptismal sprung a leak and can't be fixed 'til the 2nd Sunday.Other, with question. Why the at least two weeks wait for the baptism?
Assuming the person has been approved by whatever body your church uses to approve, why the wait?
Very interesting (I have never read on covenant theology) your post makes a good deal of sense, but does this mean you aren't...oh for a really bad lack of terms...doesn't this kinda say that Baptism is a completion of sorts in regards to salvation? or grace or something? but again, thanks for laying out your answer like that.From my perspective (the former) I think it inappropriate for one who is unbaptized to partake of the Lord's Supper, since it is the meal of God's visibly covenanted people, and one who is unbaptized does not have that sign and seal applied. Baptism is a sign of inclusion and initiation - the Lord's Supper is the day-to-day sacrament for regular nourishment. Circumcision and Passover played a similar role in the earlier administration of the Covenant of Grace. In the circumstance you suggested, the person should just wait until they've been properly initiated.
Very interesting (I have never read on covenant theology) your post makes a good deal of sense, but does this mean you aren't...oh for a really bad lack of terms...doesn't this kinda say that Baptism is a completion of sorts in regards to salvation? or grace or something? but again, thanks for laying out your answer like that.From my perspective (the former) I think it inappropriate for one who is unbaptized to partake of the Lord's Supper, since it is the meal of God's visibly covenanted people, and one who is unbaptized does not have that sign and seal applied. Baptism is a sign of inclusion and initiation - the Lord's Supper is the day-to-day sacrament for regular nourishment. Circumcision and Passover played a similar role in the earlier administration of the Covenant of Grace. In the circumstance you suggested, the person should just wait until they've been properly initiated.
A person has not taken vows of membership prior to baptism, and so is not a member of the visible church if they have not been baptized (and the LS is for the church only).
Now the problem I have with the scenario is that the 1st service should be reordered so that it all happens at once (vows, baptism, then communion). I have seen this several times at my own church.
I think we are falling into legalism.
Hypothetical Situation:
A person is scheduled to be baptized on the 2nd week of the month. The church has their monthly Lord's Supper on the 1st week of the month. Should the person be allowed to partake in the Lord's Supper before they're baptized? Why/Why Not?
I think we are falling into legalism.
Does "legalism" occur any time that there is an expectation of orderliness and ecclesiastical practice that has some boundaries to be respected? Was it legalism in the Old Testament for circumcision to be required for any who wished to partake of the Passover?
It seems to me that this "closeness to the Lord" criterion that you want to apply to have people outside the visible church taking Communion could be used to justify fornication between two who "really love each other" but can't get married until next month. If they're "really committed to each other", and closer to each other than many married couples you know, isn't it legalistic to expect them to wait to be married before they have intimate relations?
No.Are these hypotheticals meant to tickle and test and tease our theological fancy?
Why not?Re the Q.
No.
It's not the proper biblical order.
I'm at a loss how to respond. Why did you assume those were the motives?I think to do it the other way because it feels good or because we don't want to be square and rather let it all hang out would just show the subliminal effect of '60s culture on the church and all of us.
A person has not taken vows of membership prior to baptism, and so is not a member of the visible church if they have not been baptized (and the LS is for the church only).
Now the problem I have with the scenario is that the 1st service should be reordered so that it all happens at once (vows, baptism, then communion). I have seen this several times at my own church.
Right - that makes MUCH more sense. (and I can't understand why it doesn't happen this way in baptist churches)

Ray, I hadn't thought about that. Its purely hypothetical, so let's say (hypothetically) that its a baptist church and the baptismal sprung a leak and can't be fixed 'til the 2nd Sunday.Other, with question. Why the at least two weeks wait for the baptism?
Assuming the person has been approved by whatever body your church uses to approve, why the wait?
Thank-you for bringing up the importance of baptism.Get some water. Is this also somewhere in the desert? Is water not available?
Baptism isn't just some ho-hum event that should ever be put off "because... well... it just ain't convenient to do this week."![]()
I mean, it was commanded by the very God we profess and the confessor is confessing, right?
Baptism is the sign of entrance into the covenant, whereas the Lord's Table is the sign of continuance in the covenant/covenant renewal.
You can't continue in the covenant/covenantally renew your vows, without entering the covenant.
Baptism signifies regeneration/washing in the blood of Christ applied by the Spirit/baptism in the Spirit. The Lord's Table signifies eating and drinking of Christ's body and blood by faith.
You can't do the latter, without the former having happened to you first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tallach
Are these hypotheticals meant to tickle and test and tease our theological fancy?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tallach
I think to do it the other way because it feels good or because we don't want to be square and rather let it all hang out would just show the subliminal effect of '60s culture on the church and all of us.
I'm at a loss how to respond. Why did you assume those were the motives?
Thank-you for bringing up the importance of baptism.Get some water. Is this also somewhere in the desert? Is water not available?
Baptism isn't just some ho-hum event that should ever be put off "because... well... it just ain't convenient to do this week."![]()
I mean, it was commanded by the very God we profess and the confessor is confessing, right?
I think we are falling into legalism.
Does "legalism" occur any time that there is an expectation of orderliness and ecclesiastical practice that has some boundaries to be respected? Was it legalism in the Old Testament for circumcision to be required for any who wished to partake of the Passover?
It seems to me that this "closeness to the Lord" criterion that you want to apply to have people outside the visible church taking Communion could be used to justify fornication between two who "really love each other" but can't get married until next month. If they're "really committed to each other", and closer to each other than many married couples you know, isn't it legalistic to expect them to wait to be married before they have intimate relations?
I knew when I wrote the post someone was going to say something like this!
1. Legalism
The OT is very much about the right practice. Circumcision, sacrifices, sabbath observance, the feasts etc. However "to obey is better than sacrifice" and the right practice was meant to be done in the right spirit. The Jews were diligent in observing the letter of the law and it was not long before this lead to abuse. This is seen in the religious leaders of Jesus' day. The spirit of the law is more important, however I realise that this too can also lead to abuse when it is taken too far.
What is more important-the letter of the law or the spirit of the law? If we say the letter then we are in danger of legalism. If we say the spirit the we are in danger of antinomianism. So we keep these things in balance and to me legalism is when keeping the letter of the law is out of balance with the spirit of the law.