Massage Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for massage therapy, preferably on the receiving end. Some people will say that it is sensual, or something like that.

Granted, that could be true in some cases, but I don't see it as necessarily true. The times I get massages I am in so much pain--and the masseuse adds to the pain that I am usually gasping and hurting and really incapable of thinking--that I don't even think about how this could be sensual.
 
so you don't see it as immoral or unwise to work as one?

I would say it depends on what "philosophy" is behind the training. I know of someone who claims to be a Christian, yet his "massage therapy" is touted as being some new age practice. He claims to manage the "chi" in a person's body, realigning it so as to make it flow better ... or somesuch nonsense. (Chi/ki is the pantheistic "lifeforce" that inhabits ALL things ... rocks, trees, clouds, dung, tires, glass, worms, cells, etc.)

He says he's a Christian yet, though I'd spoken with him numerous times (I'm no longer pastor of his church), last I heard he continues to hold firmly to this philosophy. So either he's a very dumb Christian, or or merely a pagan who thinks he's one. (Lots of them around.)

OTOH I've been to physical therapists who use massage to relax muscles, ease pain, etc. No problem there.
 
so you don't see it as immoral or unwise to work as one?

No, not in and of itself. I am assume you are doing it in honorable conditions. And you are a spiritually mature lady. So I don't think you would be using new age healing techniques.

So I see no problem with it.
 
As long as (1) it's not being based on pseudo Eastern religious principles or (2) used as a cover for prostitution (as some of those places are), I see no problem with it, either.
 
Not a big deal so long as you're not practicing eastern mysticism along with the rub down or accupuncture with a Buddhist blessing or Yoga with pagan centered meditation.

But scientifically accupuncture can be stress relieving, massage is good for the body and Yoga improves flexibility, stress and digestion.

So you can practice the physical aspects of these God given remedies without bowing a knee to Baal or being a gnostic.
 
Personally, if I was married I wouldn't want anyone rubbing all over my wifes body and I imagine if I was married that she wouldn't desire the same thing. To much sexual perversion out there to know who is into what. Just my humble opinion
 
But for some people who have joint ailments, etc, there is nothing sexual about it. I have seen some of these people in chiropractic offices. The agony on their faces precludes any sexual element.
 
But for some people who have joint ailments, etc, there is nothing sexual about it. I have seen some of these people in chiropractic offices. The agony on their faces precludes any sexual element.

Been there. I'm not sure you would call it a massage...what I went through a number of times. It was extremely painful, but benefical. I wish I could afford it today.
 
I understand that Jacob. I am one of those. I have visited the Chiropractic office before and it isn't necessarily the same thing as a massage.
Just like I said... it is just my opinion.
 
I understand that Jacob. I am one of those. I have visited the Chiropractic office before and it isn't necessarily the same thing as a massage.
Just like I said... it is just my opinion.

Right. I (generally) couldn't give a woman (or a man) a massage. Some people can without sexual connotations. Praise God for them, but I am not one of them.
 
I know of massage therapists who work out of their home or their clients' homes. This could be a point of stumbling for many or could have the appearances of evil. It might be best to work at some sort of clinic so as to avoid any potentially awkward situations.
Just my :2cents:
 
Having had extreme back issues, I see no issue with massage therapy. I walk today because of them. However, you muct always protect yourself. The guy I went to always left the door open while he was in there with me so there was no hint of impropriety. And no one says you have to be totally naked. If it required that, I would get someone of the same sex during an hour when only women had appointments so that the door could still be left open. Those pressure points really work. I was thrown into heavy contractions during pregnancy with a foot massage. So, you always just need to be careful.
 
Not a big deal so long as you're not practicing eastern mysticism along with the rub down or accupuncture with a Buddhist blessing or Yoga with pagan centered meditation.

But scientifically accupuncture can be stress relieving, massage is good for the body and Yoga improves flexibility, stress and digestion.

So you can practice the physical aspects of these God given remedies without bowing a knee to Baal or being a gnostic.

:amen:

Just because some some pagans get ahold of some truths regarding healing and don't give credit where credit is due doesn't mean we as christians can't benefit from their discoveries.

They offer yoga at the gym that I go to but stress that there is no "pagan centered meditation" attached to it. The instructor is a christian. I see nothing wrong with stretching, flexibility and relaxation techniques.

As far as massage, I prefer therapists that can do it while the patient/client is clothed. I've had trigger point therapy done ( http://www.triggerpointbook.com/ ) and the practitioner worked through the clothing. If I want a rub down with oil, I have my wife do that. We have a massage threrapy book.
 
My husband has had shoulder/back pain for a number of years now and he has gone several times. A few times, he has gone to the massage therapist at the gym. Other times, I have purchased him a package at a spa. I have also had a few massages.

There are always certain factors to consider in both getting a massage and practicing massage.

1. Is the place one is receiving a massage/working at reputable? There are a number of ways to check this out (ie. better business bureau, word of mouth, visiting location, checking licenses. etc...)
2. As others have mentioned, what is the philosophy of the massage therapist/center? Again, a little research can help determine this.
3. What are you tempted by? (This is just meant as food for thought, not for us all to share this) If you are able to physically touch another in a professional way/be physically touched by another in a professional way, without the temptation to sin, then it should be no problem. Many doctors/patients are able to do this. If this ever becomes an issue, then, it would require further evaluation.

I look at all of this when I consider whether to put myself or my husband in this position. So far, neither of us has encountered any problems with unreputable businesses or temptations. My husband did encounter one "new age" massage therapist, but just did not engage him in dialogue and it was a non-issue. He did not go back to him again.

I would assume the same for you. You are obviously not going to work for a disreputable place. You certainly are not "new age." The only question you would have to deal with is the personal temptation issue. No need to answer that here.
 
cool, thanks for the replies. I had been a massage therapist (both the really relaxing put you to sleep kind and the really painful I could be doing kung fu on you kind) but I haven't done it for about two years now.

Would anyone have anything against giving massages to people in church when they asked for it? Would there be any restrictions there or would it all be the same as above?
 
cool, thanks for the replies. I had been a massage therapist (both the really relaxing put you to sleep kind and the really painful I could be doing kung fu on you kind) but I haven't done it for about two years now.

Would anyone have anything against giving massages to people in church when they asked for it? Would there be any restrictions there or would it all be the same as above?

Should be the same. It is a useful and lawful service and is not immoral as long as it is on the up and up (not a cover for illicity activity, into false religion, or whatever).
 
Seems like a matter of conscience. I've often mulled over these questions. Every answer kind of has to start with, "It depends on..." (As is the case with most/all matters of conscience)
 
I should think that if one took reasonable precautions, bearing in mind the caveats expressed previously on this thread, that is in an honorable profession, in that you can contribute substantially to someone's physical well-being.
 
But scientifically accupuncture can be stress relieving

I'd be interested in seeing the science behind this. Any references?

I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that accupuncture (and accupressure) claim to work on the chi channels that "supposedly" run through the body. And since the eastern/new age people claim that chi exists in all things, the fundamental philosophy underlying accupuncture/pressure is pantheism; an attempt to harmonize the chi and get it to flow in the proper direction.

OTOH, perhaps some studies have shown there to be a psychosomatic element, i.e., a placebo effect.
 
Would anyone have anything against giving massages to people in church when they asked for it? Would there be any restrictions there or would it all be the same as above?

I think that giving or receiving massages to people in church might be a bit distracting during the worship service. :lol:
 
re: acupuncture
I don't know how it works but I know that I "walked" in to one of those places barely able to move or even get on the table due to a back problem and after all the needles were in and then the treatment was over I was moving so much better and in so much less pain that I would not have cared if they told me little pain healing pixies were coursing through my body riding on oriental energy monkeys.

re: massage
Here is the solution. Specialize in the elderly nursing home patients.
You won't be tempted and busybodies won't talk about your profession.
 
re: acupuncture
I don't know how it works but I know that I "walked" in to one of those places barely able to move or even get on the table due to a back problem and after all the needles were in and then the treatment was over I was moving so much better and in so much less pain that I would not have cared if they told me little pain healing pixies were coursing through my body riding on oriental energy monkeys.

:rofl:

I'm not 100% certain but I've heard that for some surgery (not major ones) in China they use acupunture and the patient remains awake with no pain. It's much cheaper (why they don't use it here) and safer than anesthesia.
 
re: acupuncture
I don't know how it works but I know that I "walked" in to one of those places barely able to move or even get on the table due to a back problem and after all the needles were in and then the treatment was over I was moving so much better and in so much less pain that I would not have cared if they told me little pain healing pixies were coursing through my body riding on oriental energy monkeys.

A philosophy of pragmatism is always a popular one.
 
I've been told by people many times I should go into massage therapy. However, my conscience wouldn't allow for it. I can't say it's immoral (nor will I) as a blanket statement. I have two personal problems with it:

1. Massaging a lady.
2. Massaging a man.

So that about cuts it out for me.

Have you considered pet massage?
 
A philosophy of pragmatism is always a popular one.

Indeed. Actually the reasons I've seen why massage therapy should be considered acceptable also seem to revolve around pragmatism; it works to achieve some goal so it must be OK. However, if massage therapy is really a mild form of sex work (I'm not saying it is), then any benefit that results from the procedure is irrelevant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top