I truly like what Paul Washer says in his sermons. What I don't like is the way some evangelicals keep gushing about him, like he's the best thing that ever happened to evangelicalism. These people need to know that the reason why Paul Washer is so unusual to them is because evangelicalism is plagued by so many preachers that hardly preach the truth of God's Word.
If the Lord were to place someone like my own pastor, Jason Wallace, in the setting that Paul Washer is in, I will not be surprised if these evangelicals will react the same way many of them did towards Paul Washer. I hope nobody misunderstands me here. I'm not bragging about my pastor. What I'm saying is that the reason why Washer's preaching is shocking to these people is due to the context/situation. And, these evangelicals need to examine not only their individualistic selves but their own churches and denominations and realize just how bad the situation is when preachers like Washer are uncommon amongst them.
I say this because I personally know of some people who tell me how great Paul Washer is and how much they've been blessed by his preaching. But I ask these same people, "What about the preaching in your church?" They tell me that their pastors do not seem to have a mind for theology and the gospel, if they did preach it, is watered down. In fact, one guy told me that he goes to a "Rick Warren type of church" and he doesn't like Rick Warren at all. Yet, he remains in that church because he says, after all, I can view Paul Washer's sermons on the internet and I have theological books that I read.
These people don't get it. I don't know if Washer has a fault in this too but I think that this individualistic mindset needs to stop. All too often what I hear from these evangelicals is concern for their individual selves and if this concern is to be ever shared to others, they go about it by recruiting others. Where is the ecclesiastical reform that is supposed to take place? Maybe pastors like Washer ought not only to challenge individuals but also the churches and denominations themselves.
