Responding to those who say biblical teaching is obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
How would you respond to those who say that what the Bible teaches is obsolete or outdated?

I have occasionally asked what the difference is between "outdated" and "timeless," or maybe "classic." It usually comes down to "timeless" or "classic" being something old that they like, and "outdated" being something old that they don't like.

I think it also helps to show how the Bible has always been counter-cultural, challenging the ways of the broader world. There's an assumption in America that the Bible fit Western cultures of the past quite well and didn't really challenge them. It's a terribly false assumption, and it needs to be dismantled before any serious discussion can proceed.

I've noticed that many who say these things have read very little of the Bible. My first question would be, "What do you think the Bible teaches?". Only then can you respond appropriately.

The bible has proven itself several times. It is a waste of time debating with people who have such view. The bible contains declarations of truth, without any effort to convince the reader. This is one of the best things I love in the bible. For example in Genesis 1:1, The bible says [QUOTEIn the beginning God created the heaven and earth][/QUOTE] The bible did not persuade the reader to believe it, rather the statement declared what happened. I love this so much each time I read the bible. This is because I am comforted that this is the truth.

How would you respond to those who say that what the Bible teaches is obsolete or outdated?

They don't believe what they say. There is always something in the Bible that any person will affirm, about helping the poor or whatever. Ask them why we should help the poor if the command is "outdated?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back