Sabbath-breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday is not the sabbath per se. It is the one day in seven that the church worships and keeps Gods sabbath.

By pattern and example the "Christian Sabbath" is on Sunday, the Lord's Day. I am under the assumption that the 7th day Sabbath (the Lord's Sabbath) was changed to Sunday (the first day of the week) because of the resurection.

1. Is the resurection the reason Sunday is now the Lord's Day?

2. Who's pattern and example are we following for the "Christian Sabbath" (observance of God's Holy Day on the 1st day of the week)?

Thanks for your help on this matter.
:)

Originally posted by Texas Aggie
By pattern and example the "Christian Sabbath" is on Sunday, the Lord's Day. I am under the assumption that the 7th day Sabbath (the Lord's Sabbath) was changed to Sunday (the first day of the week) because of the resurection.

1. Is the resurection the reason Sunday is now the Lord's Day?

2. Who's pattern and example are we following for the "Christian Sabbath" (observance of God's Holy Day on the 1st day of the week)?

Thanks for your help on this matter.
:)

Above all, remember that Christ IS the Sabbath! So it's not a matter of a day - it is a matter of an attitude; the awareness that Christ fulfilled the whole Law - HE IS our Sabbath rest!

I wish we could talk more about that....obviously, if rightly bound to membership in a true church, one day a week is set aside to offer worship and receive the benefits of Christ's promises - before a watching world. The visible church is a witness. Answering the 2. question, Sunday (as exampled in Acts) but only if done without legalistic emphasis.

Robin

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by Robin]

Robin,
It is a matter of the day and legality!

CH 21 of the WCF

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in his Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, he hath particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week,[35] and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week, which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

34. Exod. 20:8-11; Isa. 56:2- 7
35. Gen. 2:2-3; I Cor. 16:1-2; Acts 20:7
36. Rev. 1:10
37. Matt. 5:17-18; Mark 2:27-28; Rom. 13:8-10; James 2:8-12

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

38. Exod. 16:23, 25-26, 29-30; 20:8; 31:15-17; Isa. 58:13-14; Neh. 13:15-22
39. Isa. 58:13-14; Luke 4:16; Matt. 12:1-13; Mark 3:1-5

The WCF Larger Cat:

Q117: How is the sabbath or the Lord's day to be sanctified?
A117: The sabbath or Lord's day is to be sanctified by an holy resting all the day,[1] not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and recreations as are on other days lawful;[2] and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to betaken up in works of necessity and mercy)[3] in the public and private exercises of God's worship:[4] and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.[5]

1. Exod. 20:8, 10
2. Exod. 16:25-28; Neh. 13:15-22; Jer. 17:21-22

3. Matt. 12:1-13
4. Isa. 58:18; 66:23; Luke 4:16; Acts 20:7; I Cor. 16:1-2; Psa. ch. 92; Lev. 23:3
5. Exod. 16:22, 25-26, 29; 20:8; Luke 23:54, 56; Neh. 13:19

Q118: Why is the charge of keeping the sabbath more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors?
A118: The charge of keeping the sabbath is more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors, because they are bound not only to keep it themselves, but to see that it be observed by all those that are under their charge; and because they are prone ofttimes to hinder them by employments of their own.[1]

1. Exod. 20:10; 23:12; Josh. 24:15; Neh. 13:15, 17; Jer. 17:20-22

Heidelberg Cat:

92. Q. What is the law of the LORD?

A. God spoke all these words, saying: I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 1. You shall have no other gods before Me. 2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, 2. or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, 2. or that is in the earth beneath, 2. or that is in the water under the earth; 2. you shall not bow down to them or serve them; 2. for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, 2. visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children 2. to the third and fourth generation 2. of those who hate Me, 2. but showing steadfast love to thousands of those 2. who love Me and keep My commandments. 3. You shall not take the Name of the LORD your God 3. in vain; 3. for the LORD will not hold him guiltless 3. who takes His Name in vain. 4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 4. Six days you shall labour, and do all your work; 4. but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your 4. God; 4. in it you shall not do any work, 4. you, or your son, or your daughter, 4. your manservant, or your maidservant, 4. or your cattle, 4. or the sojourner who is within your gates; 4. for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, 4. the sea, and all that is in them, 4. and rested the seventh day; 4. therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day 4. and hallowed it. 5. Honour your father and your mother, 5. that your days may be long 5. in the land which the LORD your God gives you. 6. You shall not kill. 7. You shall not commit adultery. 8. You shall not steal. 9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour. 10. you shall not covet your neighbour's house; 10. you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, 10. or his manservant, or his maidservant, 10. or his ox, or his ass, 10. or anything that is your neighbour's.[1]

[1] Ex. 20:1-17; Deut. 5:6-21.

103. Q. What does God require in the fourth commandment?

A. First, that the ministry of the gospel and the schools be maintained[1] and that, especially on the day of rest, I diligently attend the church of God[2] to hear God's Word,[3] to use the sacraments,[4] to call publicly upon the LORD,[5] and to give Christian offerings for the poor.[6] Second, that all the days of my life I rest from my evil works, let the LORD work in me through His Holy Spirit, and so begin in this life the eternal sabbath.[7]

[1] Deut. 6:4-9; 20-25; I Cor. 9:13, 14; II Tim. 2:2; 3:13-17; Tit. 1:5. [2] Deut. 12:5-12; Ps. 40:9, 10; 68:26; Acts 2:42-47; Heb. 10:23-25. [3] Rom. 10:14-17; I Cor. 14:26-33; I Tim. 4:13. [4] I Cor. 11:23, 24. [5] Col. 3:16; I Tim. 2:1. [6] Ps. 50:14; I Cor. 16:2; II Cor. 8 and 9. [7] Is. 66:23; Heb. 4:9-11.

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by Scott Bushey]

People can call Sabbath-keeping legalism all they want, but I am overjoyed by the rest and contentment I find in Christ by finishing my work and necessities the other 6 days of the week and being able to rest in my Lord on His only Hol-y-day.

Amen Gabe!

I endeavor to set aside Sunday for worship, prayer (both corporate and individual), rest, and necessary study of the Scriptures, learning Biblical Hebrew, Apologetics, Church History, and Theology.

:amen:

It truly is freedom to worship God in the way he has commanded. Thank Christ for that liberty he has purchased for us!

I just rounded up some entries I wrote a while back about my (then new) convictions about the Sabbath on my blog, if anyone cares to take a look. This is one of the things I am most passionate about getting other Christians to realize - I am so glad to find a consensus here that the Sabbath is a blessing of the highest kind. :) Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by Laura]

Scott, my brother....I'm sure you know you don't need to quote laws about the Sabbath to me. Right?

Meanwhile, to make an important point, a question:

For those in our congregations that must work on sunday to feed their families - are they in sin? When they attend evening or weekly service instead (due to needs) are they breaking God's Law?

This is a meaningful question because folks like this do exist and struggle.

Which is it? Law or Grace?

In courtesy,
Robin

The Sabbbath...

You do not have to keep it and thats that...read the Bible people, how long will you prolong this insult to God's Grace in Christ. Off to eat a pork pie.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
... but I am overjoyed by the rest and contentment I find in Christ by finishing my work and necessities the other 6 days of the week and being able to rest in my Lord on His only Hol-y-day.

:amen: THIS is precisely the point, Gabe!! It is out of heart of gratitude, that we obey God's Law! Not under a yoke of condemnation -- but, joyfully receiving those good works IN Christ. Christ IS the Sabbath.

:up:

r.

Originally posted by just_grace
You do not have to keep it and thats that...read the Bible people, how long will you prolong this insult to God's Grace in Christ. Off to eat a pork pie.

I suggest you step back from this discussion for a while, brother. Harsh words stir up anger.

Originally posted by Robin
... but I am overjoyed by the rest and contentment I find in Christ by finishing my work and necessities the other 6 days of the week and being able to rest in my Lord on His only Hol-y-day.

:amen: THIS is precisely the point, Gabe!! It is out of heart of gratitude, that we obey God's Law! Not under a yoke of condemnation -- but, joyfully receiving those good works IN Christ. Christ IS the Sabbath.

r.

:amen: We rest in Christ...

I suggest you step back from this discussion for a while, brother. Harsh words stir up anger.

Don't let your anger lead you into sin brother...

Calvin stood up to what he believed and he upset a lot of people, I do the same, I stand for the gospel, I am not ashamed of it.

Scott, my brother....I'm sure you know you don't need to quote laws about the Sabbath to me. Right?

Yes. :bigsmile:

Meanwhile, to make an important point, a question:

For those in our congregations that must work on sunday to feed their families - are they in sin?

They are. Working to feed one's family can be done on the other 6 days. Having to work as an act of mercy to others is incident driven.

When they attend evening or weekly service instead (due to needs) are they breaking God's Law?

They are, in that they are desecrating the sabbath by putting their hands to the plow.

This is a meaningful question because folks like this do exist and struggle.

Which is it? Law or Grace?

Grace does not abrogate the commands of God.

r.

:amen: We rest in Christ...

resting in Christ does not abrogate Gods holy law...........

And Calvin kept the Lord's Day..

Good, obviously convinced in his own mind.

Look to the Apostle Paul before John Calvin.

And Paul kept the Lord's Day..

1 Corinthians 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Calvin stood up to what he believed and he upset a lot of people, I do the same, I stand for the gospel, I am not ashamed of it.

David,
Do you not believe Calvin kept the Lords day holy and rested accordingly from his labor??

Originally posted by Scott Bushey

David,
Do you not believe Calvin kept the Lords day holy and rested accordingly from his labor??

What on earth does that have to do with what Scripture teaches Scott?

David

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by just_grace]

"There is nothing which the Lord enjoins more strictly
than the religious observance of his Sabbath, in other words resting from our works; but in nothing
do we show greater reluctance than to renounce our own works,."

Calvin's Institutes

David,

What on earth does that have to do with what Scripture teaches Scott?

David

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by just_grace]

The scriptures teach to keep the sabbath. You mentioned Calvin, as if he taught not to keep the sabbath.

[Edited on 8-28-2005 by Scott Bushey]

than the religious observance of his Sabbath, in other words resting from our works; but in nothing

Calvin's Institutes

Then why try to keep 'one point' of the Law?

Calvin's Institutes

Then why try to keep 'one point' of the Law?

Who said we only should try to keep one point? As of recent, I have been trainning myself to be grieved over my chronic assault of the 1st commandment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back