Seminary Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillOfAMonk

Puritan Board Freshman
I am new member to the Puritan Board, so I hope I have started this post in an appropriate thread. I could really use the help of your collective knowledge!

I have been struggling with the decision of which seminary to attend for a little while now, and I'm hoping that perhaps some of the fine folks here can help supply some much needed information.

First, a little about my search. I think the pressure to choose the “right” school is exacerbated by the fact that I had such a terrible experience getting my undergrad degree. I spent four years at a public university, and when it was all over, I don't feel like I was ever really challenged or given much of an opportunity to grow. Receiving my diploma was somewhat of a hollow victory; I had been handed a symbol without having first received the thing it symbolized. Following college, I spent several years trying to give myself the kind of education I felt I had missed out on.

This time around, I wanted to make sure that I didn't make the same mistake, especially because the stakes are even higher. What I learn in seminary will undoubtedly affect my understanding of theology, scripture, and God. I wanted to make sure that as I left seminary I would be sufficiently equipped to enter into ministry, and to eventually pursue my doctorate if I chose to. My desire was to find a theologically conservative school (e.g. one that affirmed the inerrancy and infallibility of the scriptures, etc.) that would be rich in substance and academically rigorous.

After much thought and prayer I decided on Westminster in Philadelphia (WTS). However, later I learned of WSCAL. Location wise, I'd much rather be in California, not only for the weather, but because I have family living both in San Diego and Anaheim. That being said, I don't want to make my seminary decision around issues of convenience or weather – I want to make my decision based on the quality of the education. I have studied both catalogues and websites and the curricula seem very similar. I've spoken to both admission offices. Both appear to be conservative schools, committed to the historic, reformed faith; they both emphasize studying the scriptures in the original languages, require multiple courses on doctrine, presuppositional apologetics, and would likely require reading many of the same authors (e.g. Calvin, Kline, Machen, Van Til, Vos, etc.). So, I see the similarities. What I haven't been able to find a clear answer to is what the differences are. What are their distinctive qualities? Do they emphasize different things? Are there any theological disagreements between them? What unique things do they each have to offer? If I chose one school, would there be anything I would miss out on by not going to the other? I feel like understanding their differences will help me be able to discern where I belong. I would love any information you could provide that might help me make an informed decision between these two schools. Thank you all so, so much.

I am new member to the Puritan Board, so I hope I have started this post in an appropriate thread. I could really use the help of your collective knowledge!

I have been struggling with the decision of which seminary to attend for a little while now, and I'm hoping that perhaps some of the fine folks here can help supply some much needed information.

First, a little about my search. I think the pressure to choose the “right” school is exacerbated by the fact that I had such a terrible experience getting my undergrad degree. I spent four years at a public university, and when it was all over, I don't feel like I was ever really challenged or given much of an opportunity to grow. Receiving my diploma was somewhat of a hollow victory; I had been handed a symbol without having first received the thing it symbolized. Following college, I spent several years trying to give myself the kind of education I felt I had missed out on.

This time around, I wanted to make sure that I didn't make the same mistake, especially because the stakes are even higher. What I learn in seminary will undoubtedly affect my understanding of theology, scripture, and God. I wanted to make sure that as I left seminary I would be sufficiently equipped to enter into ministry, and to eventually pursue my doctorate if I chose to. My desire was to find a theologically conservative school (e.g. one that affirmed the inerrancy and infallibility of the scriptures, etc.) that would be rich in substance and academically rigorous.

After much thought and prayer I decided on Westminster in Philadelphia (WTS). However, later I learned of WSCAL. Location wise, I'd much rather be in California, not only for the weather, but because I have family living both in San Diego and Anaheim. That being said, I don't want to make my seminary decision around issues of convenience or weather – I want to make my decision based on the quality of the education. I have studied both catalogues and websites and the curricula seem very similar. I've spoken to both admission offices. Both appear to be conservative schools, committed to the historic, reformed faith; they both emphasize studying the scriptures in the original languages, require multiple courses on doctrine, presuppositional apologetics, and would likely require reading many of the same authors (e.g. Calvin, Kline, Machen, Van Til, Vos, etc.). So, I see the similarities. What I haven't been able to find a clear answer to is what the differences are. What are their distinctive qualities? Do they emphasize different things? Are there any theological disagreements between them? What unique things do they each have to offer? If I chose one school, would there be anything I would miss out on by not going to the other? I feel like understanding their differences will help me be able to discern where I belong. I would love any information you could provide that might help me make an informed decision between these two schools. Thank you all so, so much.

Hi David,
As someone who studied at WTS in the 80's, taught at WSCAL from 1996-2006, has a son currently completing an MDiv at WTS, and am shortly going to begin teaching at WTS, I can probably answer your questions. To begin with, as you note, what unites the two schools is far more than divides them. Both would give you an excellent education, well grounded in the Biblical languages, serious interaction with the text of the Scriptures and the Reformed faith. There are many good seminaries in the US, but I think that both Westminsters are in the top echelon.

What distinguishes them? WSCAL is much smaller. Positively, that can make access to professors easier; negatively, they don't have nearly as many electives as WTS and many of those are focused on historical theology. If that is your area of interest, that would work well for you. However, my son has appreciated the breadth of courses he has been able to take, including Ugaritic and a variety of other OT electives to prepare him for PhD studies in OT. WSCAL will generally put somewhat more emphasis on 2K and the law-gospel distinction, while WTS tends to emphasize union with Christ more. But these differences can easily be overstated (or misunderstood) and I personally would love to see closer links between the schools.

Other factors might well prove more decisive for an individual: you should be thinking about where you will go to church as well as where you will go to seminary; those in the continental tradition (URC/CRC) have more options in San Diego than Philly. Financial aid and cost of living can be a significant factor, especially if you have a family.

The bottom line, though, is that both schools are academically rigorous and will give you an excellent foundation for ministry. I've never regretted choosing to study at WTS in 1985, even though it cost me much more than studying in Edinburgh and ultimately closed the door back into the Church of Scotland for me. In large measure, under the providence of God, it shaped me into who I am today. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Hi David,
Which church are you a member? Have you asked your session for advice? Personally, I'd base my decision on cost, including financial aid, first, but also consider the professors. Which professors do you find yourself more drawn to based on their writings, etc?

Hello Iain

I found your comments quite interesting so I thought I would ask a few questions for clarification. I heard Jim Renihan from WSCAL teach on Baptist theology and also a paper on the Puritans a few years ago here in New Zealand and it was quite interesting.

On this side of the world we hear interesting comments about the 2 seminaries hence the questions.

1. The Norman Shepherd controversy did cause a cloud for WTS. Do you think it is an issue. We here rumours here that Richard Gaffin shows some of Shepherds weaknesses but one is unsure what is fact and what is fiction.
2. It does seem to me that Scott Oliphint is a real asset to WTS and he has matured Van Til's apologetic to a high standard. Does WSCAL have a similar apologetics professor who is as rigorous?
3. Some of the key men who promote New Covenant Theology have come form WTS. Was this a confusion over covenant theology?
4. How do the Westminster Seminaries compare to the RTC?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back