Thank-you, Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I just wanted to thank God for how the day ended up. It was a blessing.

Most of today was rather sad and solemn as I visited my sister's grave. When I got home, some of the neighbors were over for a cookout, so I ate a little with them, then went to lie down in the bedroom for a few minutes to rest my sore back (from the long ride). Wouldn't you know it but some Mormon missionaries came knocking at the door. My wife sent my son to the bedroom to tell me about them. It was such a joy to have the opportunity to witness to them out on the front steps.

I always try and be respectful to people, but I had to almost laugh when they told me about their prophet. They told me that the guy had a second grade education and that he was told by God at the age of 14 not to join any of the existing churches. He told me this happened around the time of the great awakening. I told them that I was surprised that God would use these great men to cause such a revival where men repented of their sins and turned to God, only for God to tell him not to go to their churches.

I told them that, although God can of course speak to anybody with even a second grade education, God had also spoken to some men back in the 1600s who wrote the Westminster confession, 1689 Baptist confession, and the Savoy statement of faith. I spoke (bragged) a little about the scholarship of these men and told them it might be worthwhile for them read the confessions and compare what they're teaching with the orthodox teachings from the confessions. They asked where they could get a copy so they could read them. Hopefully they'll be visiting puritanboard.com soon to read the confessions, etc.

I'm so thankful that God ended my day with this opportunity. Seems like He always knows exactly what we need!

Bob

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by blhowes]
 
That's really neat to hear, Bob! Maybe God will use this as a means of grace for them. We shall see, perhaps.

In Christ,

Chris
 
[b:76968a3bcd]Chris wrote:[/b:76968a3bcd]
Maybe God will use this as a means of grace for them. We shall see, perhaps.

:amen: I hope so.
 
[quote:c5258f635e]They asked where they could get a copy so they could read them.[/quote:c5258f635e]

THEY DID? If they were [i:c5258f635e]at least[/i:c5258f635e] that receptive, then that is an awesome thing indeed. Mormon missionaries are so brainwashed, that they usually don't even HEAR what Christians say to them, much less allow it to digest.

Lord bless you, Bob, that in your grief you took the opportunity to reach out to those lost missionaries.
 
[b:b8e5a81af6]Suzanne wrote:[/b:b8e5a81af6]
THEY DID? If they were at least that receptive, then that is an awesome thing indeed. Mormon missionaries are so brainwashed, that they usually don't even HEAR what Christians say to them, much less allow it to digest.

I truly leave that in God's hands because by nature I'm skeptical. He said what he said in conjunction with saying "I like to teach others and I'm always interested in learning new things". Honestly though, unless God moves I really doubt if he would even go to the web site, let alone read the confessions and make any comparisons. I hope he does, but...

I actually hope that the guy who did the least amount of talking came away with something to think about. I haven't witnessed to too many Mormons, but the times I did there always seemed to be one that was the leader and the other seemed to be in training, so to speak. This was true in this case.

[b:b8e5a81af6]Suzanne wrote:[/b:b8e5a81af6]
Lord bless you, Bob, that in your grief you took the opportunity to reach out to those lost missionaries.

I don't understand a lot about God's providence, but it really feels like God brought them there to take my focus off myself. Its good to feel sad and take time to remember loved ones, but as the saying goes, life goes on. It was like God gave me time to be bummed out, and then refocussed my attention.

Bob
 
Josh,
Thanks for the kind words and the uplifting scripture. They/you are a blessing.
Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top