The 2020 Census

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Has anyone taken the 2020 census yet. It's done online, now, as I'm sure you know.

It did it the other day. Took about 10 minutes. No sweat, no strain. Not a lot of questions are asked.

I thought they were supposed to mail out post cards. I haven't seen one yet.

I took it. It was amusing that we were "invited to take it", but also it said it was mandatory. There was also a note (I took it as a threat) that if you did not complete it, someone will come to interview you at your house

I took it. It was amusing that we were "invited to take it", but also it said it was mandatory. There was also a note (I took it as a threat) that if you did not complete it, someone will come to interview you at your house
They gotta find me first. So it's mandatory? I've never taken a census and nothings happened to me.

I saw that too - the mail that I recieved said it was mandatory, but the website that I was directed to "invited" me to complete the census.

Took me about 15 minutes to complete.

Interesting, I have not received anything by email yet. I wonder if it's being rolled out by location?

We answer the questions of household number and age to meet the constitutional requirements that representatives be accorded by our state's population. Not sure what we'll do with the online varient. We were hounded in 2010.

I filled ours out online last week. I feel like it's not information they don't already have in some pocket of the government but I don't mind collating it for them.

The one question I found absurd was how my second-in-command was related to me. The question asked if they were:

Opposite-sex husband/wife/spouse
Opposite-sex unmarried partner
Same-sex husband/wife/spouse
Same-sex unmarried partner

It took me a bit to decipher which category I fell into!

The census taker once tried to test me...

So it's mandatory?

That is my read. I tried to find the hard-copy, but it must already be in the shred pile. There is some language of "inviting you" but then there is also the warning of someone physically coming to your house.

The one question I found absurd was how my second-in-command was related to me. The question asked if they were:

At first glance, that looks like poor question design. If one must ask such questions, the better strategy to keep things clear is to ask it in two parts: first ask if the person is a spouse or unmarried partner, and then ask if that person is the opposite or the same sex.

I would think the Census Bureau, supposedly being full of highly-trained question-askers and data-gatherers, would do better. But maybe they tested it and found that their way wasn't as confusing as I think it appears. Corporate marketers probably would have tested it, but I don't know about the government. Or maybe the question is politically charged and that affected their decision. Who can say?

Sounds like they are 5 years behind, at least. Nobody uses "opposite sex" anymore. Cis, trans, binary? Oops, that has messed up organic chemisty too.

In my part of the world a common way of describing an occasional partner is "my baby mom/dad." That is a semi-official category in the cases I deal with.

Sounds like they are 5 years behind, at least. Nobody uses "opposite sex" anymore. Cis, trans, binary? Oops, that has messed up organic chemisty too.

In my part of the world a common way of describing an occasional partner is "my baby mom/dad." That is a semi-official category in the cases I deal with.
Exactly. The word “gender” has all but replaced “sex” in every context except intercourse.

I have never done a USA census either and have NEVER been prosecuted. :)

Ok, my comment was tongue in cheek, but bear in mind that when you use generic wording such as 2020 census, there are people from multiple countries on the Puritan Board.

Saucy words like those, and they will be after you!

I have never done a USA census either and have NEVER been prosecuted. :)

Ok, my comment was tongue in cheek, but bear in mind that when you use generic wording such as 2020 census, there are people from multiple countries on the Puritan Board.
I have to say I have always loved my interactions with my brothers and sisters of the PBJ, J meaning "juicy" well informed interactions on a variety of issues. I would answer further but I'm hiding from the government for not taking the census. You didn't see me.

Last edited:
Good point, stupid Jamey, stupid Jamey stop posting stuff like that on the internet. You don't think they pay attention to stuff on the internet do you? Good thing they don't hack e-mails or I'd be in trouble. Dah doont doont chanttttt (simble goes off and Mic drop).

Is there any particular reason for refusing to take it? Seems like a legitimate role of government to me.

Back in 2000, when I was perhaps in my most libertarian phase, I tried to take the "name, rank, and serial number" approach and gave my name, the number of people in the household, maybe my age, and left most everything else out, such as race, having decided that it was none of their business. Some time later, I received a visit. (Now that I'm into genealogy, I've learned that there has been a race or "color" question since 1850, which was when household members began to be listed by name as opposed to simply having the head of household named.)

I can't remember filling it out in 2010 or even seeing it, but maybe my wife did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back