The New Folgers Roast is The New Coke!?!

Discussion in 'The Iron Chef' started by Grymir, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrielWatcher

FrielWatcher Puritan Board Sophomore

That is true. Just a mini-coffee maker in the mouth without the pump or plastic or carafe. Guys in the Navy used to due that too, even when brewed coffee was readily available.

2. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

:amen:

3. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

I used to do the same thing with the coffee ration in our MRE's while I was on Active Duty and had overnight watch or we were doing a night infiltration exercise. Take the coffee and use it just like one would dip snuff. Always worked. The Tabasco also was helpful.

4. FrielWatcher

FrielWatcher Puritan Board Sophomore

Meth works too. It is an upper.

5. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

Not good for the teeth though. :)

6. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

Its a joke folks. I do not condone drug use... except caffeine.

7. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

How funny! :lol: I was in seminary before discovering coffee as a beverage. When working on a late night paper in college, I would quaff a handful of freeze dried coffee to get my buzz.

8. ManleyBeasley

ManleyBeasley Puritan Board Junior

I went out to the middle east (Israel) and they all drink turkish coffee out there ( its amazing). They grind it to a very fine powder and put it directly into the cup (like hot chocolate). Its very thick and very awesome.

9. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

:um: is it possible to quaff a solid?

10. Mushroom

Mushroom Puritan Board Doctor

It dissolves pretty fast. :lol:

11. Timothy William

Timothy William Puritan Board Junior

There is a cafe near here which sells, among other things, chocolate coated coffee beans. Perfect for eating whole and keeping one awake, plus a very mild sugar hit.

12. Webservant

Webservant Puritan Board Sophomore

Same here. With 5 kids, I am lucky that I can afford coffee with a label that has anything more than black and white printing and a big barcode.

13. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

The word was selected with deliberation. The way it was done made it look as if you were "drinking" the coffee. Also great trick for grossing out the more squeamish.

My best man 34 years ago had a way of slurping jello so that he would suck it into his mouth and down to his belly in one (admittedly) dangerous motion. Somehow, he managed to avoid aspirating it.

14. Matthew1034

Matthew1034 Puritan Board Freshman

wegman's vermont maple nut crunch!!!!!!!

15. Marrow Man

Marrow Man Drunk with Powder

Put aside your Folgers and Maxwell House and go out and get yourself some 8 O'Clock coffee. It's great and very reasonably priced! I grind some every morning, and it will put most gourmet coffees to shame!

If you have more exotic tastes, I would highly recommend African coffees. They are FAR superior to the bitter-tasting South and Central American varieties. Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees are very good. The Kenyan variety is a bit milder. The Ethiopian coffees look scary-dark when they are brewed, but are surprising smooth-tasting. But it is a little stronger than Kenyan.

The best exotic coffee I've ever had is Jamaica's Blue Mountain Coffee. I took a Caribbean cruise a couple years back that stopped in Jamaica, and I was able to purchase a pound of BMC for $20. Apparently it sells in this country for $60 a lb. I'm not sure it's worth that, but it was definitely worth $20.

16. AThornquist

AThornquist Puritan Board Doctor

If my coffee beans don't drop out of the anus of a Kopi Luwak, I'm not touching it. Finding it on the forest floor is the hard part! :gpl:
    Haha, have any of you actually had that stuff?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  17. AThornquist

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about? :p

18. Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist Puritan Board Sophomore

I am not drinking poop beans.

I didn't see anyone mention Starbucks yet. I drink one Venti per day, black, and stout.

19. Seb

Seb Puritan Board Junior

I've heard of it. I don't ever want to try it. I prefer my coffee unpooped. :eek:

20. AThornquist

Not only is it pooped, it is super expensive! Something like $75 to $80 average per pound. I'm trying it with my own cat before I resort to some jungle feline :coffee:

21. LawrenceU

LawrenceU Puritan Board Doctor

I'll pass on the cat coffee.

22. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

Just make sure you brush off the cat litter first. Nobody wants bitter, gritty coffee!

23. Webservant

Webservant Puritan Board Sophomore

I was gonna say - come on over here - I have TWO cats. I'll let you have all the droppings you can carry for your breakfast drink.

24. Grymir

Grymir Puritan Board Graduate

That poop coffee sounds like it tastes like the new folgers coffee. We went to the dark side and bought some maxwell house columbian, and its pretty good. We like the 8 o'clock beans, but that is for our special nightly pot of coffee. I hope enough people complain and/or vote with their money and folgers goes back to the way it was. Poop coffee, that is so gross!

25. LawrenceU

LawrenceU Puritan Board Doctor

The Maxwell French Roast is not too bad, either.

26. pilgrim3970

pilgrim3970 Puritan Board Freshman

Used to drink Folgers but switched to Maxwell House a few years ago. My favorite is theier Dark Roast

27. javajedi

javajedi Puritan Board Freshman

How can you use 'coffee' and 'Folgers' in the same sentence? [Hmmm, I guess I just did.]

In Austin here our Costco has a roaster in the store! I get Sumatra (my favorite) 2.5 lbs for $10. Better than Starbucks.

We have free coffee at work too, but I am a snob (yes I admit it) and I have a small coffee maker on my desk and bring in my own fresh ground Sumatra. Mmmm. :coffee:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.