Trinity Psalter Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodcheer68

Puritan Board Sophomore
As far as translations go is the new Trinity Psalter faithful to the Hebrew or is it more of a paraphrase? Looking for something that uses a more modern vocabulary but still an accurate translation.

Dr. Alan Strange who is a PB member should know what their parameters were. I know in doing our church's small but full psalter, when I raised the issue of the 1912 Psalter's loose rules for translation (if not paraphrasing), we examined those choices and redid them with the goal of as few of words in English as needed without padding out with extra words. Unfortunately, we did not do that and simply trusted other Psalters from which we chose selections, which turn out had wide tolerence for adding words to fit the tune or whatever the reason. Now we are in a process of redoing those for a second edition, D.V. It is still sort of a personal project of the pastor and myself and whether it actually replaces the psalter now in use I don't know. It's not easy work and just because of the nature of translation there will always be some tough calls. But it really depends on what the goal of the drafters of a particular psalter are how close or loose the end result is as far as a translation.

During the lockdown, when I was 'attending' a worship service in Miami (via conference call) we used the blue Trinity Hymnal morning and evening, the red Trinity for the worship service in Lake Worth later in the day. I prefer the blue one for content and layout. I've not seen the new Trinity Psalter Hymnal, but I expect it is quite good. Due to the small size of our congregation I don't expect to see it adopted at my church anytime soon.

As others have pointed out, Dr. Strange will have the most informed answer. What I'm aware of (Dr. Strange can correct me if I'm wrong) is that of the Psalms with multiple selections (let's say three for the example) Selection A tends to be the tightest in terms of translations, Selection B would be less so but remains balanced in considering a tight translation of the Hebrew and musical considerations, and C would be more loose (like and including the paraphrases from the 1912 Psalter).

Last edited:
Yeah, Selection A is always the tightest, in my experience with the Psalter. Although I think the Scottish is tighter still, it is tight enough that I usually feel comfortable (as one who holds to exclusive psalmody) singing Selection A. Not so with B or C.

So how is the new Trinity Psalter (OPC-urc edition) as far as translation goes?
Members of the committee appointed for the task met for several years aiming for the same balance of fidelity to the text and singability that most such labors aim at, including those of EP denominations. I appreciate Zach's insight (above), as he's seemingly aware of more precise information. But really, there's a subjectivity to the evaluation. Subjectivity is what sends new translators and committees back to make a fresh attempt every so often, and from various denominations. The tunes get tired, or the language gets archaic; a new generation thinks certain factors were left out or overemphasized.

Thanks for the replies so far. I’m trying to find out if one holds to EP do they have confidence in this translation. I do not know the Biblical languages so have to refer to trusted experts on Bible translations. I’m comfortable with the ESV but not the Mesage NLT, etc. so I have no qualms having someone preach from the ESV and other more literal translations. Can the same principle be applied to the new Trinity psalter. Is it a faithful translation enough so that we are singing Gods Word and not a paraphrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back